Author Topic: new toy to tow wih my 450i  (Read 1537 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
new toy to tow wih my 450i
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:29:08 PM »

RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
Re: new toy to tow wih my 450i
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:58:57 AM »
   Boy could I find a lot of uses for that neat little toy!!  Just wondering ....did the silver wheels come with your machine?  Mine are black and your tread looks different as well. If so Kymco must get wheels and tires from different mfgrs to put on their machines.  This is what toy I normally use around my property to keep weeds in check.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 01:51:51 AM »
no, silver wheels off from a Yamaha Kodiak, a set I scored from a craigs list ad, all 4 with nearly new dunlop tires for $150

the dunlops are wearing much faster than the  Maxxis that Kymco uses as oem tires, when they wear out, I am going to replace them with more street oriented tires 
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 03:10:45 PM »
  Ok that makes sense, yes the Dunlops are a much cheaper and faster wearing tire however you got them at the right price so what the hey... The silver wheels do look good on there though. You will find that pavement wears out any off road tire faster so if your doing a lot of pavement riding your best bet is an aggressive road tire.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 03:31:27 PM »
I am looking for a reasonable price set of 14" wheels, then I have a lot more tires to choose from for street use, I estimate 90-95% of my use in on the street

I had to play around with the position of the dipper and bucket to lighten the tongue weight, the position that I have it in in the photo, tongue weight is less than 100lbs probably around 75-80

my next goal is to get turn signals, not necessary, but seems like most drivers today do not understand hand signaling protocol, I have a set of magnetic mount trailer lights that I just plug in when I tow it with my jeep, I have to figure out how to make brake lights and turn signals work towing with the Kymco, as the turn signal kits available are turn signals only and independent of the Kymco's  brake light system
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 09:51:39 PM »
I towed my Tow-Hoe to the local car wash so that I could pressure wash it and find the grease fittings,(3miles each way, 6 miles round trip)was first yime I have towed something that heavy, I've towed a log splitter before, but that mighta weighed 500lbs, the Tow Hoe is 900+ fluids, 5gal hydraulic and 1 gal gas+ oil

In obviously labored more pulling the weight, top speed 35-40, instead of 48,  now it's got me wondering how towing will affect drive belt life
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 03:01:21 AM »
   Yes the belt life will be really shortened if your towing in high. Factory recommends weights above 600 lb to use low gear only. I use low gear when moving real slow such as spraying as it lets the engine run cooler on these hot 90 degree days.  Haven't had the opportunity to tow heavy loads yet, just a small trailer with about 500lbs in it, on the pavement I could use high but thru the grass and off road it is low always to save the drive belt. Belt changing does not look like much fun on this machine.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()