Author Topic: STILL with the overheating! P250  (Read 15020 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: STILL with the overheating! P250
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 04:18:36 AM »
..live and learn...

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 04:20:28 AM »
...i'm going to bed...sid's already at work...

..peace ya'll!!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 05:29:22 AM »
Sid's about to knock off and go scootin'. Oh, and top up that thirsty little tank. ;)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: STILL with the overheating! P250 *UPDATE*
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 03:25:35 AM »
UPDATE: Overflow reservoir is more than half-full, so air is not being reintroduced via that route, I think it is safe to say.

Not wanting to pay for a kit that will chemically detect unburned hydrocarbons in the coolant, I think I should simply plan to replace that head gasket. Given that I have a new one (which IS metal -- opened the glassine envelope just to get a better look/feel), it's the only way to be sure.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 03:27:57 AM »
...it should be an upgrade, and maybe your troubles will end there...

..bite th' bullet j....

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 03:43:50 AM »
Ok, been waiting for your update, Jpres.  Hey, now, did you check the hose?  That's where the fault would be -- not the tank.  I'd take the hose off and look it over VERY carefully.  Make sure the clamps are on tight too. 

The tank being "over" half full lends support to this.  It would go up a little during each period between burps. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:59:11 AM by Hoolander2 »

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 05:56:10 AM »
Ok, been waiting for your update, Jpres.  Hey, now, did you check the hose?  That's where the fault would be -- not the tank.  I'd take the hose off and look it over VERY carefully.  Make sure the clamps are on tight too. 

The tank being "over" half full lends support to this.  It would go up a little during each period between burps. 

Both mechanics I consulted on this found it pretty inconceivable that any leak that could draw in the quantity of air that is being introduced would not also be at least leaking some coolant. Plus, with the radiator cap open, topping it off as the "air" leaves until it becomes hot enough to require shutting off the engine (so as to keep the coolant from belching out), I can never get all the "air" out. Shut it off, top it off, let it cool down, and repeat the process, and there's always more "air" there.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 06:15:29 PM »
Well, I hope the new gasket does the trick for you, Jpres.  Sorry for your problem.  Say, would you consider doing a little experiment?  When you've got it all apart for the gasket work, don't do anything to the hose or it's clamps.  Then, if still a prob after the gasket replacement, we might zero in on that hose again.  At least we'd have a better idea if it IS that at that point -- process of elimination. 

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 05:27:14 AM »
No way!  I'd have to beat myself with a stick!  :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 07:38:10 AM »
Right -- and what I'm theorizing is that I'm burping most or all of it out every two weeks... but it's coming back, 'cause it isn't air. Instead, it's gases being introduced into the water jacket by a very small breach in the head gasket.
  I jumped ahead on the posts for this. Exhaust gas will not be the hot spot at the sensor. It cools the second it hits the coolant. The trouble is (in my opinion) the coolant is being displaced thru a leak in the head gasket, and being burned in the normal cycle. When you shut down the scoot the coolant is still hot, and under pressure. It is very likely the back pressure of the coolant is enough to "clog" the leak. That way you will have air in the system, and not be losing any real level in the bottle. I agree w/ slinger that the head MUST be checked. It is easiest to have a machine shop inspect it, and have a few thousandths milled off. Feeler gauges won't cut it. Inspect the gasket for ANY discoloration at all. That will pinpoint the problem. Anything else seems unlikely to me. The new design on the gasket may be enough in itself, but I would have the head checked. If the old gasket shows anything on the cylinder side you may want to have that squared as well.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 02:10:59 AM »
Got Big Red Ugly back, today. I've only ridden it about 15 miles, but so far, so good. No overheating, almost no vibration, whatever (very noticeable!), and I have a new drive belt, Dr. Pulley sliders (20g) and a Stebel horn, now.

It's been in the shop over six weeks, and I won't tell you what caused this issue. All I can say is that I got the repairs at-cost, and that was a whole lot less than I would have otherwise paid. I have an awesome dealer, and I can't say that enough!  Even through the repairs, I always had a loaner scooter, every single hour of every day. Who does that, in this day and age?

Even so, there's a chance that we're not done with this. I'll update my blog (see .sig) as time passes. Right now, I'm gonna go run it up the interstate to see how Dr. Pulley has affected the power band, and to see if I can cause it to overheat.  :)  Let's be happy for now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:12:39 AM by jprestonian »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 02:18:14 AM »
..i wish you the best, jp...

..i know this has been a thorn in your side for a while...

:-\

..it's also good to hear of a GOOD dealer story...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 06:30:19 AM »
Got Big Red Ugly back, today. I've only ridden it about 15 miles, but so far, so good. No overheating, almost no vibration, whatever (very noticeable!), and I have a new drive belt, Dr. Pulley sliders (20g) and a Stebel horn, now.

It's been in the shop over six weeks, and I won't tell you what caused this issue. All I can say is that I got the repairs at-cost, and that was a whole lot less than I would have otherwise paid. I have an awesome dealer, and I can't say that enough!  Even through the repairs, I always had a loaner scooter, every single hour of every day. Who does that, in this day and age?

Even so, there's a chance that we're not done with this. I'll update my blog (see .sig) as time passes. Right now, I'm gonna go run it up the interstate to see how Dr. Pulley has affected the power band, and to see if I can cause it to overheat.  :)  Let's be happy for now.

Is there a difference now that you have Dr.P?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
Is there a difference now that you have Dr.P?
Oh, sure -- 0-50mph is like being shot out of a cannon. From there, it takes longer to get up to top speed, which has been slightly reduced. So, I suspect the stock rollers are like 24g or more.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »
and started to be concerned about the local constabulary. ;)

..I HEAR Y'!!..

..i wish i had that seat on my ppl 50....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()