Author Topic: 12v socket installation  (Read 2354 times)

Super8504T

• View Profile
12v socket installation
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »
Hi guys..

Bit of advice please.. I am looking to install a 12v scooter socket for my Super 8, so that when I am out and about and my phone gets low on battery I can charge it up.

I am looking at this 12v socket: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-Scooter-Cigarette-Socket-Lambretta-Vespa-Piaggio-/330439675359?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4cefbd4ddf

I already have neon lighting controlled by a switch connected directly to the battery. What I want to know is if I also connect this socket directly to the battery as well as the neons (Which I rarely use and are usually always off but still connected up), will it be too much of a demand having two power demands? Also when anything is not plugged into the 12v socket and the igniton is off.. will it still draw power? I hope not. It should only draw power when something is connected to the socket yes?

Thanks for any help.. much appreciated.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: 12v socket installation
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 01:34:04 AM »
hey super8 Welcome to the forum. You can go to the local auto parts, and pick up a cig lighter socket off the shelf (generic) for about $5.00. I would use a 14-16awg set of wires dirrect to the battery, and install a 500 milliamp fuse. There will be NO draw as long as nothing is plugged in to it. I forgot to mention you should get one that has a rubber cover to prevent anything from falling into it, and shorting the fuse. It's a REAL simple mod., and one that I have been wanting to do for quite some time.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:39:52 AM »
It's a REAL simple mod., and one that I have been wanting to do for quite some time.

..yeah, me too...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:39:18 AM »
Ok then.. thanks for that guys. I can go and get it now  ;D

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:52:10 AM »
That is something that I have been wanting to do with both my bikes but have not gotten around to it yet.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
We all have more in common than you would think!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 12:13:52 PM »
Yep, that little scooter is front and centre of my tunnel vision at the moment. Not that I am complaining.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()