Author Topic: Power to coil but no spark. What can it be?  (Read 2332 times)

Abubaker

• View Profile
Power to coil but no spark. What can it be?
« on: June 11, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
Hi guys
I have a 2006 Xciting 500 carburator. I have been driving my scooter nearly every day. Since two weeks ago its been standing. When i drove it a week ago i discovered it cranks longer than usual. I tried starting it again after a week of standing, the bike started first time. I then switched it off after a few seconds and ever since it only cranks. I removed the spark plug and discovered its not sparking from the coil. This i did by removing the cord and placing the coil witout spark plug against the engine. I have checked to see if power comes to the coil with the multimeter and its strong at 12volts.
Can i assume the coil is faulty or is their additional checks for me to do before buying a new coil as im afraid of buying something which is not the cause of the problem.

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Power to coil but no spark. What can it be?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »
First place I'd look is at the switch you  last turned it off with. Most coils are triggered on the ground side likely by a CDI box in your case. Just recently another user with a smaller model had an issue with the contacts in the kill switch, food for thought.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Abubaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »
mmmmm,,. makes sense. God willing, i hope its that,,.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »
Coils are pretty cheap. If power is getting to the coil, but there is no spark? Then my first move would be to replace the coil. Also, stick in a new plug, and then see if there is a spark? You never know? Stranger things have happened? Also, the engine will crank when the side stand is down, but will not fire up? Your side stand switch may have gone out ? There is a side stand wiring by-pass trick you can do also. Put it on the center stand and kick the side stand up and down a few times and see if she fires up. It may be one of those hit and miss works sometimes but not always intermittent problems? Good luck.  :-*

Abubaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
I changed the coil and luckily it was that. They do not come cheap though,,.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »
They used to be about 40 bucks. But last time I checked was several years ago.  :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()