Author Topic: They must have bumped their head!  (Read 2624 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
They must have bumped their head!
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:49:29 AM »
I'm nearing the time for the initial 600 mile oil change. So I called the local Yamaha dealer because I was considering having at least the first service done at the dealer. It consists of changing the oil and filter and the rear end fluid.  I asked him how much. And he said $150-200 depending on whether I want it looked over too. . SERIOUSLY? 150-200 bucks for 1.8 quarts of 10w 40 , an oil filter, and 8 oz of 10w 30 for the ear end? That's much more than we charge at the Ford Dealership where I work ! And the cars require 5 to 7 qts.

Guess who'll be doing their own.
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
Re: They must have bumped their head!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:10:56 AM »
As a mechanic I prefer or should I say I trust myself to do my own services. In fact just did the 600 mile service on my MyRoad 700i tonight. Servicing is easier than my Burgman as I do not have to remove and body work or covers though I did take off the engine skid which I'm sure kept me from dripping oil on it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:55:18 AM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:54:43 AM »
I'm nearing the time for the initial 600 mile oil change. So I called the local Yamaha dealer because I was considering having at least the first service done at the dealer. It consists of changing the oil and filter and the rear end fluid.  I asked him how much. And he said $150-200 depending on whether I want it looked over too. . SERIOUSLY? 150-200 bucks for 1.8 quarts of 10w 40 , an oil filter, and 8 oz of 10w 30 for the ear end? That's much more than we charge at the Ford Dealership where I work ! And the cars require 5 to 7 qts.

Guess who'll be doing their own.

Common misconception that its just an oil change.
The initial service should involve a full check of the scooter to finally ensure correct assembly at the factory.
If done properly its quite a big job.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:55:22 AM »
Perhaps it is. But should the customer pay to see if Yamaha assembled the bike properly since anything they find amiss would be covered under warranty anyway? I know that with an automobile, we get a special notice when it's a first service, so we'll pay special attention . It takes a little extra time. But the customer is only liable for the oil change or whatever is scheduled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
They must have bumped their head!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:59:02 AM »
According to my owners manual, (which is what we are to go by) the first service doesn't include anything that's not included with subsequent services. Checking the brakes, kickstand switch, etc are simple visual inspections that require no extra effort other than looking at them and seeing if they work or are worn. No extra effort required.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:20:53 AM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »
To be honest, I believe that the "full check" consists of a simple visual inspection that does not involve removing anything unless the customer has a complaint of a problem. I may be wrong. But That's my gut instinct.

Yep, if you're going to pay that then you'll have to trust that they're going to give it a comprehensive look over.  Checking fittings....cables...etc.
Might be a good investment. ...then start your own comprehensive servicing schedule.
My LIKE200I manual says this first service is THE most important one in life of the scooter.
Of course. ...my dealer wanted @$375 (over 10% price if scooter)  so I did it myself .....but I've rarely been a good example for anything.
Stig
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:27:55 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »
Yep, if you're going to pay that then you'll have to trust that they're going to give it a comprehensive look over.  Checking fittings....cables...etc.
Might be a good investment. ...then start your own comprehensive servicing schedule.
My LIKE200I manual says this first service is THE most important one in life of the scooter.
Of course. ...my dealer wanted @$375 so I did it myself .....but I've rarely been a good example for anything.
Stig
Call me cynical. But I doubt that they go beyond the checks called for in the owners manual. . Fluid changes, and inspection of the operation of the parking brake, kickstand switch, brake pad thickness, and ensure no brake fluid leaks.

Parking brake: holds or doesn't hold.
Kickstand switch: works or doesn't work
Brake fluid leaks: are the plainly visible fittings leaking or not.
In other words nothing extra.
So I'll be doing it myself and keeping receipts for oil and filter as proof.
They'll see me if I have a problem under warranty or need a tire installed. Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »
The typical price for the initial oil change on most bikes is at least what the dealer quoted you.  I just do it myself.  Just keep receipts for the oil and filter and document what you did.

Nothing hard on the initial service. 

Just wait until you around get to changing the air filters :o  You might want to check out this thread:  http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/stripped-screw-heads.1140312/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:45:02 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 03:40:55 PM »
OK Forbes ...
You've had a 'heads-up' here on those airfilter screws.
DO buy the proper JIS screwdriver (ebay or Amazon for a set of them) and push hard as you turn.
I found some stuck screws on my Forza - had to buy a 'back-out' at hardware store...order new screws from Honda AND buy the proper JIS screwdriver. The screws fooled me , thought a Phillips would work.
Nope! Not if it's a factory-shot screw-gun tight JIS'er!
Do this now, get 'em out and lube them for your next go. Then no worries for a  l o n g  time!
Expecting a full report - or will sic Crossbolt on you! (a nice guy under normal circumstances - so, don't do anything .....well, you've seen Trump tie into a ..._______{fill in the blank}
Stig
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:42:49 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »

Nothing hard on the initial service. 

Just wait until you around get to changing the air filters :o  You might want to check out this thread:  http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/stripped-screw-heads.1140312/

Oooh boy! That seemed like a nightmare. Well I've  been forewarned better try removing them soon . Well before I NEED to. And I've read that the air filters are famous for getting dirty really quickly.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 05:14:11 PM »
OK Forbes ...
You've had a 'heads-up' here on those airfilter screws.
DO buy the proper JIS screwdriver (ebay or Amazon for a set of them) and push hard as you turn.
I found some stuck screws on my Forza - had to buy a 'back-out' at hardware store...order new screws from Honda AND buy the proper JIS screwdriver. The screws fooled me , thought a Phillips would work.
Nope! Not if it's a factory-shot screw-gun tight JIS'er!
Do this now, get 'em out and lube them for your next go. Then no worries for a  l o n g  time!
Expecting a full report - or will sic Crossbolt on you! (a nice guy under normal circumstances - so, don't do anything .....well, you've seen Trump tie into a ..._______{fill in the blank}
Stig

Ha, ha. Crossbolt  is that guy that you're GLAD to have on your team and not the opposing team. A low tolerance level for foolishness.
As for the other guy, I'll just let that stay blank.
At any rate, I'll get the proper tools and take them out and put antiseize on them BEFORE I NEED to do so, so if something goes wrong, I won't be in an emergency situation.
At my job at the Ford dealership, they call me the antiseize King. I use it on anything subject to heat or moisture because there's a good chance that I WILL be the one to work on it next time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 05:22:44 PM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
Also be advised that those filters are very pricey.  I kept the old ones and plan on using the filter frames to make oiled foam filters.  I recently did that with my Super 8: 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 11:39:23 PM »
Also be advised that those filters are very pricey.  I kept the old ones and plan on using the filter frames to make oiled foam filters.  I recently did that with my Super 8: 

Approximately what is the price?

2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 01:25:17 AM »
Don't know about air filters on a Majesty but an oil filter for my MyRoad 700i Kymco wants $18 and it's a reboxed Hi-Flo HF 147 oil filter I can get from Chaparral Motorsports for $6, lol.

'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 02:54:32 AM »
Approximately what is the price?

I got OEM filters from the dealer at 10% off and the three filters added up to around 100 bucks if I remember right. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()