Author Topic: Leaving KYMCO 😢  (Read 4320 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving KYMCO 😢
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 12:45:29 PM »
Like MJR said, you being happy is the main thing. $388 for set-up is nuts considering how little the dealers do and what they screw up. Oh, well, most don't count on you ever coming back it seems. Enjoy and don't be a stranger. Spill the details for us "knuckle draggers" as you learn them from your Majesty.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
Forbes, you can go to your photos on your ipad and select the one you want. Click on the icon in the upper right, looks like a box with an arrow pointing up in it..then click email and address it to yourself. The email will tell you the size of the photo and you can click on that and it will give you various size options.

Choose a much smaller one, email to yourself, open new email and save smaller photo to ipad. You can then upload the new, smaller photo for all of us to see.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »
Thanks Iahawk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 09:02:32 AM »
Possibly the best feature of the Majesty 400 is the valve clearance check interval.
Have a look at the service schedule in the owner's manual, you're in for a very pleasant surprise.

Don't get too carried away though, its shims....

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »
Possibly the best feature of the Majesty 400 is the valve clearance check interval.
Have a look at the service schedule in the owner's manual, you're in for a very pleasant surprise.

Don't get too carried away though, its shims....
Yes, I saw it. At first I was elated at the extended interval. But when I saw that it was shims my joy was tempered. However, if my experience with automobiles using shims is any indication, adjustments are very seldom needed because when checked, they are most often still within specs. I HOPE that's the case with this engine too,

2009 Xciting 250

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 01:39:01 PM »
Yes, I saw it. At first I was elated at the extended interval. But when I saw that it was shims my joy was tempered. However, if my experience with automobiles using shims is any indication, adjustments are very seldom needed because when checked, they are most often still within specs. I HOPE that's the case with this engine too,

As long as my majesty is running well, I'll probably wait until 30-40000 miles to have the valves checked.  It will most likely be a one time thing.  Yamaha's with shims tend to hold their clearances really well.  My 83 venture went 72000 without having any valves adjusted.  My XT 350 had a valve check interval of 4000 miles but I didn't do any adjustments until around 18K and they weren't that far out of spec. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »
As long as my majesty is running well, I'll probably wait until 30-40000 miles to have the valves checked.  It will most likely be a one time thing.  Yamaha's with shims tend to hold their clearances really well.  My 83 venture went 72000 without having any valves adjusted.  My XT 350 had a valve check interval of 4000 miles but I didn't do any adjustments until around 18K and they weren't that far out of spec.

I had a Toyota supra with shims. At 110k I had to replace the head gasket. The clearances were in spec. Since I didn't have to mess with the valves, I kept the shims in order. When I totalled the car at 180k, I still had not adjusted the valves even though they called for adjustment at 45k or so. I sold the engine. The new owner eventually replaced the crank bearings. Still no valve problem.

I've found that on car engines, shim type valves tend to be almost as good as hydraulic IF the oil is changed regularly. I'm not saying that the Yamaha will be that good. But it's a good omen.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 07:08:25 PM »
I FINALLY got a chance to send the photos of the Majesty. I also found an opportunity to share my alma mater --Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, Florida.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:11:52 PM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 07:13:58 PM »
Another angle
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »
Break it in as though you plan to keep it beyond the warranty expiration date !!
OK, that's a great scooter at a great price - but we have a thing here - says "it didn't happen unless we see pictures!"
We love these Yamahas.....picture please. A couple.
And how did a Yamaha scooter sit for 3 years unsold in Florida for Pete's Sake - that ain't exactly N. Dakota for scooter ridin' country!? You guys are knee-deep in scooters.
Good job - you made the right move I think, for your commute distances.
Take your time - follow the manual (written by the people who made your scooter) - lots of oil changes with dino oil for a few thousand miles say the mechanics whom I trust....then you can go to synthetic if you want.
OK, go out and take pictures of this new scooter.
Stig
Well, I guess it really happened. Here are the pictures.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2016, 07:23:36 PM »
Final photo of this series. I'm not as good of a photographer as Stig. But it think it looks pretty good.
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 06:51:04 AM »
Nice.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »
(Snip)
And how did a Yamaha scooter sit for 3 years unsold in Florida for Pete's Sake - that ain't exactly N. Dakota for scooter ridin' country!?
Stig

Because he's a cycle dealer first who will only sell discounted scooters. Doesn't make them bad dealers just cycle dealers. The local Honda dealers have NOS Forzas and Swings. The 200 Burgmans sit and so on. It's a more competitive market with he Tiawan offerings here.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 10:14:49 AM »
Very very nice!
Majestys are very handsome scooters.
Love that they don't feel compelled to offer only black seats.
That has got to be cooler after parked in Florida!
Last time I was in Tallahassee I stayed in the men's dorm of FSU....visiting a fla
me from Paris days. She was in the school's circus. Do they still have that....or am I not remembering any of this correctly?
Thanks for taking the time to post the pix of your superb new scooter!
Stig
Well done on that scooter!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
Very very nice!
Majestys are very handsome scooters.
Love that they don't feel compelled to offer only black seats.
That has got to be cooler after parked in Florida!
Last time I was in Tallahassee I stayed in the men's dorm of FSU....visiting a fla
me from Paris days. She was in the school's circus. Do they still have that....or am I not remembering any of this correctly?
Thanks for taking the time to post the pix of your superb new scooter!
Stig
Well done on that scooter!
Yes, the seat is cooler. A welcome benefit. . But I have to be diligent about keeping it clean.  And yes, your memory is correct. FSU still has the "Flying High Circus"

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()