Author Topic: Just bought a 2005 super 9 lc with 800 kilometers - have some questions  (Read 1392 times)

k50

• View Profile
Just bought this scooter and it's in near-new condition.  has 800km on the odo, not a scratch on it.

questions:

i paid $1000 for it, brand new battery, came with manual, both keys, bought from the original owner (confirmed by looking at the title).  was this a good deal?  i see these going for more on craigslist, but who knows what they really sell for.  There is an upgraded "technigas" exhaust, he said this was the only thing he did to the scooter (he gave me the stock exhaust as well).

he said that the dealership removed the variator restriction when he bought it.  so as far as i know, modifications are the smooth variator, and the exhaust. scooter runs great.  but when i had it sitting on the center stand, i was gassing it and saw that the rpm went to 10K, is this normal?  if i left it wide open, i think it would have gone beyond that.  i am concerned if the cdi is unrestricted, that i might damage the engine if i run it wide open. any thoughts?  is there a way to tell if the cdi was altered?  i heard that you can derestrict the cdi by cutting/unplugging a wire, that true?  also the cdi looked to be dark green, not black.

next and final questions, any service i should do?  2005 liquid super 9 with 800km on it. 

if anyone is interested, i will post pics.  pretty much a stock, red, super 9 with the techigas exhaust.

Thanks!!

ps. my daily driver is a super 8 150 - stock.  its definitely faster than the super 9 as one would expect.  i bought the 9 for my gf and son who dont have motorcycle licenses.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
I think $1000 for like new Super 9 is good price, especially if already has nice Tecnigas pipe on it.  I paid less for each of mine, but they have all been dropped, have more miles or other issues.  These are really fun scooters after hopped up a little.  Welcome to the forum.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

k50

• View Profile
Thank, really stoked about it.  Did some digging, looks like 3 things were done.
Removed green wire from cdi
Remove spacer from variator
Techhigas pipe
Little nervous about the cdi being totally unrestricted, any way to damage the engine running over 10k rpm's?  Overall great little scoot

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
I wouldn't rev to the moon without it been under a load.  If only has 800k it's not really broken in yet, take it easy and learn how to tune it.  I think you will find very tough engine.  On street, I think you will find pretty hard to hit 10,000 plus revs, unless going down hill or strong tailwind.

Scooter is 10 years old, you might want to replace coolant, replace gear oil, check air filter (may be falling apart, mine was), etc.  Read some of the Super 9 threads, lots of good info on this forum.

I really like mine, great scooter IMO.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

k50

• View Profile
i really like the scooter, i had a 4t agility before this and its night and day difference.  it really moves if you get the RPM's up from the get go.

sometimes its a little sluggish if i start slowly then give it gas, when the rpms are on the low side.  thinking lighter rollers would help.

anyway, thanks for the info, i will search the forums for mods.  likely wont do much as i dont like to tinker too much, its pretty fast as is.  on the flats it will go 50.

extremely comfortable scooter.  i have a super 8 150 and the seat/ride on the super 9 is much better.  the 150 is faster though ...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()