Author Topic: Scooter won't start?  (Read 3225 times)

Super8504T

• View Profile
Scooter won't start?
« on: June 03, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »
Hi guys..

Well its not the scooter's fault it isn't starting.. its mine. I was messing with the wires that connect to th CDI unit to try and install some neon lighting but then found out they dont go there.. anyway I wrapped some wires together and tried starting it and the wires frazzled and smelled a bit. I have put everything back in its original position and now the scooter doesn't start. It turns over and tries to kick in but it just doesnt.. even the kick start wont work. I think I've really done it  :'(

All the electrics.. indicators/lights and battery etc work fine but it just wont start.. (it tries too but it just doesn't kick in).
The wires look a bit brownish/black now.. I checked th fuses as well and they are all ok.. I am wondering if I have blown the CDI unit or the wires??

My bke was working fine and perfect until I decided to mess with it :-\

I have a mechanic coming out to have a look at it.

Do any of you guys know whats up??

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter won't start?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:47:45 AM »
..it's very possibe that something has fried...good chance it is the cdi...

..your scoot's wiring in general, is rated for particular amp draws...

..to install any auxillary lighting, it's always best to run another wire from your battery's positive terminal, thru a fuse that is rated at whatever the total amp draw of your lights will be, then go thru a toggle switch of any sort, then out to the light's positive leads...from the lights negative leads, run another wire to your battery's negative terminal..

..i have all kinds of LED lighting on my scoot..LEDs draw very small amount of current as opposed to neon lighting, which require a "transformer" to power the lights...

..I wish you luck...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 01:09:26 PM »
I had the mechanic out this morning and he tested the spark plug and was getting no spark.. he also tested the ignition coil but that was ok as he wasnt getting any power from his ignition coil either so he thinks it is the CDI as there are like "blister" bubbles on it and it smells a bit.. so he said you could have blown the CDI. So then we were searcing around for the same CDI and just rang up Kymco UK.. give them the part number and told them what it was and what my bike was and they had them in stock! £86! So it should be here in the morning (depending on post  ::))So it should burst into action again once that is connected.. or at least I hope so  :-\

I'll post back..

Thanks wordslinger  ;)

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
Well the CDI did the trick.. It took 10-15 seconds on the starter motor for it to kick in.. It hesitated a lot.. but kicked in in the end.  :)

Phew  :D

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
Good to hear you got it going again, one more lesson from experience, just curiously, what C.D.I. did you get for it?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Super8504T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:38:07 PM »
Yes that's right.. not to mess!!  ::)

I got the exact same genuine part direct from Kymco.. just rang them up and gave them the part number: 30410-LEJ2-E10.

It did the trick anyway  ;)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »
All good mate, long as she's going again.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:00:16 PM »
...sweeet...it's good to scoot....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()