Author Topic: Key replacement  (Read 9005 times)

D1scouter

• View Profile
Key replacement
« on: May 01, 2016, 05:35:15 PM »
We lost the extra key with the code tag for my wife's 2012 200i. How do we get a replacement?
2009 Xciting 250

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: Key replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:06:07 PM »
Is that a serious question?
Well then, just take the other key you still have to a "Mister Minit" or similar key cutter/duplicator and get as many key duplicates as you want.
If such a key cutter shop can´t help you, ask your scooter dealer. He should have the Key Code.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 10:18:39 PM »
We lost the extra key with the code tag for my wife's 2012 200i. How do we get a replacement?

I looked at my LIKE200i key closely....this looks just like the key blank. Should work  to use to cut your new key from.
OR, take your key to a good locksmith shop and see if they have a matching blank.
I've purchased spare key blanks for Honda and Burgman scooters from eBay with good results.

Meantime....hang on to that key!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYMCO-Heroism-People-Key-Blank-2008-2009-2010-2011-AGILITY-1997-1998-1999-2000-/282022308651?hash=item41a9d6eb2b:m:mpYPp3MYhLxh4CS3VDyJsyQ&vxp=mtr

Stig
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:20:20 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

D1scouter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:19:39 PM »
Yes this is a serious question. We had been told that we could not get a replacement without the code on that little metal tab. I guess that we had been lied to. I will have my wife just go to the local locksmith.
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:25:46 AM »
Yes this is a serious question. We had been told that we could not get a replacement without the code on that little metal tab. I guess that we had been lied to. I will have my wife just go to the local locksmith.

That code tab IS very important if you lose BOTH keys.....
Otherwise it is no more complicated than getting a second key made for the garden shed!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Maurice white

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 12:38:39 PM »
An emergency locksmith near me has replaced mine at $70.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »
An emergency locksmith near me has replaced mine at $70.
So, you had neither key?

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »
Kymco USA does not sell cut keys. Unfortunately, The codes mean nothing.
You can buy an OEM Blank from a Kymco dealer but you must know if it is a Right or Left cut style.
If you've lost both keys, possibly a good locksmith can make a key but in most cases you will likely have to buy a complete Lock Set.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 05:12:30 PM »
Like the others said, if you still have a key any locksmith or hardware store with a copier can make you another for a few dollars(depending on location and availability). I believe it is a standard mechanical steel key(no sensor chips built into the shank like most cars) and your bike shouldn't have any issue with a copy as long as it is within tolerances. It should be a simple double sided wafer lock. I made a copy for my bike which works fine.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 08:14:09 PM »
Take a look at ebay. Search Kymco key. Compare your key with the blank.....see if it is "sided" the same. There are two versions shown. Buy two - cut at hardware stores - some lock shops refuse to cut "cheap Chinese steel" keys. If a magnet sticks to it they'll refuse - ruins their cutter wheels. They like brass keys. Hardware stores don't know any better.....
Happened twice to me (Kymco & Burgman blanks from ebay/china.)
Stig
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:21:11 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()