Author Topic: MY ZX50 O.E.M CARB TUNING  (Read 51432 times)

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: MY ZX50 O.E.M CARB TUNING
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »
what up guys? you all got on late, i was gone by then...lmao     ok, when i did plug chop, she started easy as hell, just like always... could my broken plug wire be the culprit on the hard starting????????    plz say yes....     i went about a total of 1-11/2miles on the chop..(went about 10mi on a ride, 2test her ability). go further than that?? same distance as before.. not good?? daaaaaam dude, i can even tell she runs better, wth??? gray and creamy no good huh?!?! the curved part of electrode had traces of the creamy color, "mix ring" was grayISH(GOTTA WORK ON THE "ISH" SYSTEM,lmao)maybe i put the oem jet back in and chop.. i was liking the way she was running, more responsive.. i hope its just the broke wire thats causing my hard start issue( started just fine till then)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »
...i reckon creamy is like tan and that is goooood....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2010, 11:30:21 PM »
It could definitely be the plug wire that is causing your hard start.  I have replaced mine with an NGK from the local dealer.  I wanted to be able to fit normal spark plugs with out having to remove the little top nut.  I think it was $6. 

The top curved part of the spark plug doesn't really matter a whole lot.  I think the creamy stuff that accumulates on there is from the oil.  Mine all do that too even when the chop is good.  You really just need to pay attention to the mix ring.  It should be brownish color, not grey.  You may have to get a magnifying glass to really get a good look at it. 

What did your plug look like after the 10 mile ride?  1 - 1.5 miles should be fine for a plug chop.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 11:32:16 PM »
..oh, i thot he meant creamy at the firing ring...i was skimming the posts...kinda behind a bit...

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2010, 12:44:15 AM »
what up? well today i got myself one of those ngk boots and she fired right up, juuust like she should!! i had also put the oem jet back in since people weary of grayish color, guess maybe should do one wit the oem jet huh??  just to see what color??    i actually put the old plug back in for my ten mile ride so idk.  it looked gray ISH to me, no magnifyin glass tho.
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2010, 03:20:47 AM »
ok, shes good again. imma do a test in the a.m to see what the plug looks like wit the new filter anyway i guess huh?  if b 4 my plug wasnt gray (w/oem box), and i had a SLIGHTLY bigger jet w/new filter and it was grayish (not right color)  but i could tell she ran much better with that grayish plug.. then how is going bigger going to make to right? if i try to open it more with my microbits, since they dont have sizes, how do i know what to try? zombie "makes" his. how would i know if i went TO big? (mindful that the pilot jet isnt changeable).. is the mix screw for air or oil?  is all the way in closing the air or oil off?   screwing it OUT gives more? of which?  does that have to be changed at these times at all?? for chops??
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2010, 03:22:15 AM »
...microbits make a difference....

art

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2010, 03:37:11 AM »
In is less air out is more,this is mostly for your idle.Bigger is better.More fuel brings more air at filter creating more vacume to draw more oil to mix.It's kinda like that.Your close just need a bit more to be safe.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »
That is why I don't mess with making my own jets!  I like to be somewhat precise about it and know exactly what I'm putting in there!  At this point I have just about every size jet for my carb both main and pilot! 

I believe on your carb the mix screw actually controls the flow of the fuel and not the air.  There are two ways of doing it on different carbs.  All the way in is the least fuel to mix with the air.  As you turn the screw out you are allowing more fuel to mix in with the air.  Always have it at least 1 turn out!  The mix screw only adjusts the idle mixture.  Once you crack the throttle the slide takes over and allows more air to flow into the carb.  At this point the small idle circuit plays very little part in the overall mixture.  The needle taper and width then takes over and "meters" how much fuel can pass around it until you hit WOT when the needle is pulled up fully out of the main jet.  Then the jet size is the "metering" point.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »
Ya!shaka nailed it.so once your idle is set for new airbox.There is no more to do on that cerciut.To get a better idea of the plug reading at wot.A smaller jet Is letting more air into the mix than needed causing it to burn so hot it vaperizes the oil before it can lube the piston,cylinder and crank properly.This is why you need more fuel to cool mix down a bit and would like to see some residue oil left on the plug.Grey is burnt oil residue lean,brown not all being consumed by the fire good,black(wet)little oil is being cosumed to ritch.

bniesen

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »
quick question for future reference, when you remove the carb do you have to pinch off the fuel and/or oil line? Or does the throttle (slide needle) take care of that for you??

art

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2010, 05:35:41 PM »
No it is all run on vacume,If its leaking something is wrong.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »
I stick a golf tee into the oil line, that will drip till the tank is empty
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

art

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »
Ha!bniesen has a people The oil is on the intake after carb,no doubt if you unplug from the tank you have a mess

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2010, 09:10:25 PM »
I stick a golf tee into the oil line, that will drip till the tank is empty
Ah, that golf tee that is now part of the kymco tool kit! ;)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()