Author Topic: Trail Tech TTO Tachometer  (Read 7497 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Trail Tech TTO Tachometer
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:33:21 PM »
I recently purchased a Trail Tech TTO digital tach for my ZX50.  I got it all installed, very easy!  You just wrap the pick-up wire around the spark plug wire between the coil and plug.  I ran into a problem though!  It only works if I'm touching the head unit.  I don't even have to touch it, I can just have my fingers close and it works.  I contacted Trail Tech and was extremely happy with their customer service!  Justin put me on hold while he spoke with one of the engineers.  He didn't exactly say what the problem was, but they are making me a "custom" one and shipping it out supposedly today no charge!  They are also sending a call tag to return the "stock" unit.  I'm assuming the problem has something to do with radio interference from other electrical components or something.  I also got him to put a longer pick up wire on the one they are making for me.  The stock length was a real stretch and I couldn't mount it exactly where I had intended.  At any rate the Tach seems to be very good quality and has a nice finish as well!  Overall I think it is well worth the price and you can't beat the customer service!  I wish all companies stood behind their products as Trail Tech does!  Major kudos to them!!!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:49:26 PM by Shaka »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Tech TTO Tachometer
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »
I've been using my D.M.M. that has a clamp for the pickup. I just used it a few times to get the right rollers, but have thought it would be nice to have one permanent mounted. It's good to know of a company that actually answers the PHONE. Thanks for the tip Bro!. Hey Pm me your shipping info. again for the Alum. stock. There was a doubt over ownership of the fuel tank, but as always I put on the shinny boots, and the little Fedora hat, and asked if I had to make a call on this one! It's yours now!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
Zombie, You're the best!  I hope you didn't have to do any "special favors"  for it!!! ;)  How thick was that aluminum again?  If you are looking at getting a tach this one seems real nice!  It is programmable for number of sparks per revolution as well as sensitivity and refresh speed.  Also, unlike the "Tiny Tach" it has a replaceable battery and was only $38 shipped!  I have no idea how much if any more it would have cost to get the "custom" that should actually work for my scoot though.  Another interesting thing I found out today is my scoot only gets up to about 8,000 rpm at almost top speed of 55 mph.  I had thought it higher.  That's why I got the thing though!  I might be looking into the RSII exhaust soon! ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:24:32 PM »
Yeah! your pipe is rated @8'500 for 70cc so you could still go lighter on the rollers, 5.5gr WORKS ! figure the top rpm's ever are @11,500  62-65mph. Mine runs real good @9,000 50-54 mph. It's done it for Approx 25,000Km. I know I just Jinxed it...So I knocked on wood~ The stock is .124" or sumtin' in mm I can send enough for 4 spacers in one of those flat one rate things. No favors" just a failure to communicate "
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:09:17 AM »
I received my new tach today. ;D  I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but hopefully tomorrow.  The 2nd day aired it and everything!  Will post back with results!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »
Got the new tach installed and it works like a charm!!!  I'm extremely satisfied with Trail Tech!!!  I still can't get over the fact they actually 2nd day aired the new one to me so I'd be able to install it this weekend!  By far above and beyond!!!  ;D

Ps. I got a piece of metal to make my cylinder spacer/gasket.  It's 1.6mm thick, but I'll give it a go!  It should put my squish around 1.28mm with one head gasket.  I may try first with no head gasket which will give me about .78mm squish.  I'm also going to attempt to port match the case and cylinder while I'm in there.  Here's to 60+ mph!! ;D

Pss.  From the porting software I have shows this should allow me to run an additional few hundred rpm by raising the cylinder.  I'm only hitting about 8,000 rpm max right now!  I'm also going to play with the carb jetting, I've been fouling plugs all week!  I may have to order a smaller pilot jet.  My next size smaller still has my drill bit broken off inside! 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 03:07:37 AM »
I feel like a guy at a truck stop! Do me next! Here's to all that failed, and showing them it CAN be done.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »
hey shaka......when you coming back around?????.....anyway, hows that tach doing???   i want a tach for my zx.  i saw that they must have went up a bit on the price and dont say how much shipping is............
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 04:32:01 AM »
The tach is great!  Don't know how I went so long without!  I haven't had any issues with the new "custom" one Trail Tech sent me.  I just checked on ebay and you can get one for $33.52 with shipping. 

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 12:55:38 PM »
ebay??  really???...where you been?? enjoying your free summer i guess...i would like one to see how bad rpms drop at times...i did see that its only a tach, hr meter...same one on ebay??..i wonder why your custom setup, wonder if I'D have that issue???   (oh yeah,imma need your guidance on matching my case,plz,plz,plz).in my thread of course...
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

Garridan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:36:06 PM »
Hey thebatman, you shouldn't have the same issue of compatibility with the latest revision to the Tach/Hour Meter

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 02:26:03 PM »
thats good to hear...lmao..... thanks dude, and  WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!  great place for info here....
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 06:48:51 PM »
even tho shaka has dipped out on us here. :D (we still miss you dude  :-\)...well i am officially the owner of one of these trailtech tto tachs...i LOVE IT already, havent even went on a lond ride to test her out yet but to the store, its awesome...great buy there...maybe the tunning will be a bit easier now.. :D :D :D
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »
I've been wanting to get one for some time now. 

Could really use it now to see how experimenting with the roller weights is changing things.

Good to know they work.

Did you mount the unit using the tape?

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »
yeah, thats what i am hoping for...my rpm was different, i was way off with the sounds according to the tach. :D... maybe now i can tune correctly. ::)   yeah, i just used the tape, perfect spot under my speedo. it came with cap ends also(to clean up the screw holes). it is a touch smaller than what it seemed in the pics tho...cute lil thing.. yeah, i had been wanting one for awhile myself, checked around and this seems the most logical choice..i would reccomend this tach/co. to you.. the customer service was helpful, polite, shipped right away too... if ordered by 2, order processed same day... i was WAY off on my top rpms too...figured they were higher than this. :D ::)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()