Author Topic: New People 150 stalls intermittently  (Read 7936 times)

Lammy1000

• View Profile
New People 150 stalls intermittently
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:34:42 PM »
My new scooter started stalling since taking ownership.  It will start and run great, except every 0.5 to 8 miles it will stall.  After coasting to the side of the road (Very Dangerous situation) it will restart and run fine till the same thing reoccurs.  I tried riding without fuel cap and adding carb cleaner (Seafoam) without success.  After 80 miles it is back at the dealers.   

The dealer was able to experience this stalling and he then noticed a weak or nonexistent spark at the sparkplug.  This even has me perplexed because it always immediately restarted.  Any comments are appreciated.

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: New People 150 stalls intermittently
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:03:34 PM »
Sounds to me like a fuel starvation issue.  Check the petcock and may need to take apart and clean out the carb thoroughly.

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will do this if the dealer can not fix...let's hope a professional mechanic can fix a scooter.  Anyway, I would think that if it was fuel starvation it would stall when going up hills where the demand for more fuel was greater?

Also, is the petcock vacuum controlled?  I believe it is so if a vacuum line was not properly attached or was cracked it would cause fuel starvation.  This will also be checked.   Thanks.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:42:55 PM »
I have had both CDI's, and stators act that way. They heat up, and short out. once they cool off a little the cycle repeats. You can test the stator by running it till it cuts out, and do the resistance tests in the manual, and the cdi would be the culprit if the stator passes the tests. Hopefully the shop has seen this before, and gets it right for you. You may want to bring it to their attention just in case.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:49:39 PM »
I would think an electrical issue being less the culprit since it starts right back up.  You are correct, the petcock is vacuum activated.  If there was a small crack in the line that could be the cause. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 02:01:36 AM »
weak or nonexistent spark...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 03:55:01 AM »
Yeah, I suppose it could be.  That may be another issue all together though.

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:28:30 AM »
The mechanic got the scooter to stall, presumably near their shop, where he reoved the spark plug and witnessed its weak / nonexistent spark.   The spark returns and is strong enough to allow good combustion....this thing has stalled at speed at least 12 times.  Each time it starts right back up, runs great, until it stalls yet again 0.5 to 8 miles later.  Ugh

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:03:36 PM »
I would think an electrical issue being less the culprit since it starts right back up.  You are correct, the petcock is vacuum activated.  If there was a small crack in the line that could be the cause. 

...if the carb ran out of fuel due to a vacuum leak, wouldn't he have to suck the tube to get fuel back into the line and carb before it would re-start?..

..says it fires right back up...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »
Good point Slinger.  You would have to crank for a few seconds to get fuel back in the carb.  I hate those electrical bugs!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »
..I can't get my scoot started from a dry bowl with just the starter...gotta prime it first..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
Update:  The mechanic checked the pulser coil while warm and ohms were in spec at 108.  The CDI will be replaced with a new unit, hopefully this afternoon.  After hours of research the only incidence of this intermittent stalling was traced to a faulty CDI.

http://angrytransportationrants.blogspot.com/2010/04/scooter-review-2009-kymco-people-150.html

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 08:01:31 PM »
Here we go:  New CDI and it still stalled.  New ignition coil will be tried.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 08:51:36 PM »
could be the Ign. Coil, but my money is still on the stator itself not the pulser coil. I have never seen a pulser go bad (not saying they could not), But I have seen dozens of stators act as you described. In reading your blog spot, Why would you want to keep it if you are that dissatisfied? The scoot still has a good resale value, and you could likely get 2 China scoots for the balance! (1 for riding, and 1 for parts)

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 10:24:43 PM »
This god damn machine has 80 miles on it.  If its not fixed or replaced with  a brand new one I will go postal..literally

Stator / magneto checked and supposedly ok.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:26:46 PM by Lammy1000 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()