Author Topic: 500 Xciting vs Burgie and Silver Wing  (Read 8525 times)

jmskazoo

• View Profile
500 Xciting vs Burgie and Silver Wing
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »
I am a former Silver Wing owner currently without a ride.  I loved the Wing.

I have been considering a Burgman 650, but have been reading a lot about the Xciting 500 and now the Myroad 700i.  I like the qualities of large scooter.

Can any Xciting 500 owner post their experiences with the 500 and compare it to the Burgie?

Thanks

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 500 Xciting vs Burgie and Silver Wing
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 04:22:01 PM »
+1.  I would love to read this comparison.

Blackbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 07:24:33 AM »
John!

Just curious, but have you looked at the Burgman 400 as a possible candidate?  I bought my Burgy 400 in July, after Test Riding a few other scoots, namely the Yamaha Majesty 400, Kymco XCiting 500, and the Burgy 400.  I looked at the Burgy 650, Honda Silverwing 600, and Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (Classic Style), and determined that they were much to heavy for me, and for my needs.  My four criteria items were:

1.  Weight
2.  Gas Mileage
3.  Storage
4.  Dealer Service Availability

Of all the scoots I rode, researched, and looked at, I kept coming back to the Burgy 400.  Here were my reasons for NOT choosing the others:

- Yamaha Majesty 400:  Too short for my height of 6'1".
- Kymco XCiting 500:  Half of the Storage room of the Burgy 400, meaning I would have to purchase a Top Case.  Also, it's a very heavy scooter, and somewhat Top Heavy as well.  Gas Mileage is in the Low 50's.
- Suzuki Burgman 650:  Much to heavy for me!  Mirrors were way to low.  Gas Mileage is in the Low '50's.  When I move up to a 650, it will be with a Danson Trike Kit.  By that time, MPG won't matter very much to me!   :D
- Honda Silverwing 600:  Not as much comfort room as the Burgy 400.  Also too heavy for me.  Much more money than I would be willing to spend.
- Aprilia Scarabeo 500:  WAYYYYYY TOO HEAVY!!!  I was going to Test Ride one, until I did the "Side-To-Side" Weight Test on the Showroom Floor, and almost dropped it!  It is more Top Heavy than the XCiting 500.

My reasons for buying the Burgy 400:

- After riding more than 3K Miles on it to date, I'm starting to get 72mpg on the Highway, and 68mpg in the City.
- 14 Gals of Storage under the seat alone, plus the Glovebox and two Cubby Holes up front.  I don't need a Top Case.
- More than enough room to give me an extremely comfortable ride.
- The Weight is centered much, much lower than any other scooter I have ridden, and is easy to maneuver around with your feet.  It is very maneuverable in City Riding, and more than Highway Capable at 75+ mph.  It will go over 100mph if I ever need it to, but I'm more than comfortable riding at 75mph on the Highway.
- Easily rides 2-Up, while still getting decent MPG's, and it can still easily get the speed I need in the City and on the Highway.

I'm not trying to sway you away from Kymco, as I have a 2007 People S250, other than my 2007 Burgman 400.  Kymco is a GREAT scooter, but they still need to work on their Seat Comfort and Storage Capacity.  Kymco's, for some reason, tend to offer half as much Storage Capacity than their competitors.

If you're definitely going between the Burgman 650, XCiting 500, and XCiting 700i, I would choose:

1.  Burgman 650
2.  XCiting 700i
3.  XCiting 500

The Burgman 650 is a very SWEET machine, and the style is fantastic.  It weighs 600lbs Wet.  Plenty of Underseat Storage!  Unless you do your own Maintenance, you'll need a Service Department near you at some point.  Service Intervals are nicely spaced apart (e.g., 600 miles, 4,000 miles).

The XCiting 700i is Fuel Injected, and quite possibly heavier than the Burgman.  Check the Kymco USA website, for Kymco Dealers in your area.  I have two in my area, one 30 miles away, and another 45 miles away.  However, my Suzuki Dealer is less than 5 miles from my home.  Kymco's Service Intervals are too frequent, IMHO (e.g., 600 miles, 1,500 miles).

The XCiting 500 will be FI on the '08 Model, due in the US next year.  I would wait for the FI Model, rather than the CARB Model.

I hope I've provided at least a little bit of info to assist you.

Best of Luck in your Search!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves"!

junkdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 09:29:23 PM »
Total agreement with BB...all good reasoning and comparison.. soon as I get rid of my x500 my ride will be burgy 400.. great performance, fuel milage, ergonomics, hold it's value, could go on and on.. BB said it all..

jmskazoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 12:35:36 AM »
Xcellent commentary.  ;D

My former ride was a Silver Wing. I liked the power. That was an 04 model I bought in 05. I thought the 400 was not enough power at the time.  That's why I started looking at the Xciting 500.  I like the looks and price point. Also I have discovered a few sites that offer custom and performance parts for the Xciting. I want to mod next scoot. However, I have not ridden the Kymco.

I truly admire the Burgie line and realize the 400 has added redesign advantages in the 400 model over the last year or so.

Thanks for your comments. Truly appreciated.

bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 06:21:22 AM »
   I truly feel the only way to figure out what you want is to go and sit on them. Try them all. The one that's right for you may not be tolorable to someone else. Buying a bike is such a personal choice. I felt like the suziki 650 Burgy was a whale and way to heavy. The Kymco Xciting was just right for my needs. I rode 4700 trouble free miles last summer on it. At first It felt a little heavy for me, because I wear an Artifical leg. But I took my time and got used to it. Now I dart all over town in places I thought I would have to avoid. It feels light when ridding, but if you turn to slow and lean to far over it gets heavy quick. Now slow manuvering turns are a natural for me. Big Thumper is keeping me young!
Like Steve McQueen, All I Need is a fast machine and I'm Gona be alright! Kymco Xciting 500!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()