Author Topic: first atv race - SORCS series  (Read 4375 times)

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
first atv race - SORCS series
« on: May 19, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »
My first race story - Not a race victory, but a first time personal goal accomplisment.

The weekend started out rough. I fought a sinus cold Friday and Sat. on Antibiotics and decongestants. I was weak going to the track..and to top it off had flat on the SUV pulling 3 four wheelers, when we got there.

For the race....at this point my goal was to make it at least 1 lap in one piece.

I ran the Utility ATV class...I lined up with 3 Can-Am Renegade 800's to my right and  2 Hondas and a Yamaha(i think) to my left. The 800 next to me had a pipe and he sounded like a race car at the drag races..(I am on a Kymco MXU500)
The course was a punishing 10 miles. It was far more demanding than any of the normal trails down there. Every type of terrain was in that course...did I say brutal? It was!

At the start...I was psyched...I had my mind set for a good start. I wanted as close as possible to the 3 Can-ams on my right and make sure I beat the three others on my left.
10 second countdown and my nerves got the best of me...I accidently pressed the start button.....panic....I hit the kill switch..missed it...finally hit it...switched it back on and broke my ryhthm timing cause the flag  raised..and I wasn't as quick as I would have been....

Well it wasn't too bad the Can-ams pulled in front I was beating the two hondas on my left , but the third one on the end I didn't see until the first hard left and he inched in front of me. I pushed him all the way into the woods..i had to ride the breaks to stay off him.
I stayed on him for 6 miles. I was actually racing guys!! Yeeeee haaaa!.
Well I got really exhausted and I slowed up a tad...but kept him in check....I was hoping for a feild or straight away so that I could really romp down on it and use some of my Kymco power to get around him. It never came...it was tight twisting turns the whole way. There were no good spots to pass…..I was really parched and had to let off to grab my camelpak mouthpiece in to suck down some cold water...what would I have done without it!
I started gaining back on him again but at around mile 7 we hit a massive rock crawl...I never knew there were rocks like that down there....I was'nt prepared and had to tip-toe threw that area..it went off camber up a hill and back over to a creek (mud hole) that intimidated the heck out of me so i slowed a lot there..by 8 miles I was hurting...arm pump was killing me...legs getting tired...
Finally mile 9 and people were all lined up a long a section and that gave me energy. I was almost to the end.

After I finally passed through the checkpoint and they registered my time, I was goiing to come on out and be done...I made my one lap. I gunned it out and saw my dealer (the guy who talked me into racing) standing going “go – go, yeah” you know with the arms waving like “your doing great , go get’em’….well after seeing that I got a second wind and gunned on for lap 2. I was only 17 seconds behind the guy in front of me.

Well was barely hanging on trying to drive hard and fast but not overdoing it…I had almost completely drained my camelpak of water and I was drained., at around the 5 mile mark (of lap 2)  there is this real narrow rough section I come bouncing through there and my left front tire hit a tree and it stopped me cold at about 18 mph. Took me a second to get back up and going. I got back on the trail but it felt like my front was pulling and I was really exhausted, my arms could keep manhandling the front anymore and at the 6 mile marker (around there) I saw through the woods a way to get off the trail and go back to the finish.  I decided, I was too wore out to go in any further and I also kept fearing I had damaged something in my front end so I called it a day.

Although not a victory story, I ran about 1 - 3/4 laps. I probably could have just pulled over and rested a minute or two and could have made the last 4 miles of lap 2 but I was too fatigued and the fear I had broke something on the front loomed over me.

I learned that I can ride all day like we do when we go down for a weekend (6-7 hours straight) , but racing is whole different animal. The course is tough the whole 10+ miles…no resting or taking it easy. It definitely is a endurance race. My hats off to these guys racing….especially the ones racing the MXU500 like mine..it is a handful.

I do think I will be much better the next time...I think I can hang with (lap times ) and beat the other similar quads with a little more practice. I probably raced to hard the first lap (because I knew I was better than those three other guys) and got too fatigued. I was the oldest guy at 46 in that class against a bunch of younger , but experienced guys.....I got to get my legs into better shape for sure.

See ya.

'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
ITP Mud Lite XTR 26/9/12 - 26/11/12 on ITP Type 7 rims
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
EPI Clutch Kit (rollers/spring)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

400racer

• View Profile
Re: first atv race - SORCS series
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:09:23 AM »
Hang in there Gregg, I was absolutely killed after my first race too.  You have to set a pace you can run for 2 hours, thats where Can-am will get you, they take the beating for you where as we on these Kymco's are riding our @$$ off trying to hang.  It will all come together, its trial and error until it gets completely dialed in.  Racing is totally different than hardcore trail riding.  I hope you plan on running Yadkinville...gncc tracks are generally more open than local hare scrambles.  Later ;D
2008 4x4 lites factory KYMCO racer

2008 Sponsors: GBC Performance Tires, KYMCO ATVS

Mid-East and GNCC #614 racer

http://community.webshots.com/user/popo800efi
http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/canamracer614/Home.aspx
http://www.gbcmotorsports.com/riders/jordan-phillips.aspx

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:10:08 AM »
Nice work man!  Got my adrenaline going just reading it!

Not bad at all for a first race imho.  How is the front end?  So when's the next race?

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:42:51 AM »
Thanks guys!

Yeah....racing and hard trail riding are a lot different...although my trail riding helps me negotiate the track better....but it didn't help with the non stop adreneline...up on my legs the whole time.

Also...the bikes ran the AM race so the course was really tore up with ruts by the time we raced.

Yeah....I got my post race story telling abilities from the master 500racer2 ;)

Yadkinville sounds tempting....I got to see if I think I will be ready for it......"yet another mxu500 on the 4x4 lites line????"

also...the front seemed to be ok when I rode it back to the cabin from the track......i have to tear it down and check it out this weekend..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:21:30 PM by MXU500_Red »
'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 03:45:20 AM »
Mr Red, you Big time Racer!  ;D

Great story! I love to hear those first time war stories! Sounded like lots of fun. I am sure you will getem next race when your feeling 100% and you have the experience.

I race mx bikes cross country and I have only done 1 atv race in my life and it was a buddy race. I was curious, was the track 10 miles per loop or just 10 miles total? I am thinking 10 miles per loop right? How many laps is a typical race? I know from my buddy race it's a lot harder than it looks and those guys go way faster than you would ever think an ATV could go through the woods.

Sorry, I am just very curious about all things Kymco and all things racing.

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:40:30 PM »
Yeah...it is 10 miles for 1 lap. They ran 3 laps. The sport quads went 4.

Ask the GNCC racers on here ...they will tell you about some of the tough tracks they race...

Ok....I got some video.

The first one is the start.......don't laugh....I didn't start really giving it the throttle good to I was almost at the first turn...I was so nervous I messed up the start by accidently cranking too early, then I shut off and back on and the flag was raised....it was all a blur :yellow-biggrin:

Here is the start :

video: rough start - Hey...it is my first time..

I like this one. It is a stretch somewhere...I think around the 6 mile mark....I like this shot...looks like I was really riding :yellow-surprised: ..:

video: Me somewhere on a back sretch trying to keep up...

This is somewhere towards the end.. I was tired but still going... :yellow-redface:

video: still going...

Next time you see me, my 500 will be blue . I just haven't had time to switch over the plastic yet. Luckily I didn't damage my red plastic this time.
'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()