Author Topic: main jet on xciting 500  (Read 2082 times)

iolite

• View Profile
main jet on xciting 500
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:57:49 AM »
ive noticed since i bought my xciting that if i ride full throttle the scoot actualy doesnt want to perform and if i close the throttle a little it picks up speed! Well last night i opened the carb to check the main jet and it has a 118 in there! acording to the manual it should be a 108 or even a 98
I am at high altitude so iam going to try a 98
i have noticed that the xciting was also very thirsty and got about 12km per l
I also removed the spark plug and found a NGK CR8EK in there...it has two electrodes jobs?? looked on internet and found no info on that. Replaced it with a CR8E ( The old plug was also carboned black confirming that the scoot was running to rich)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: main jet on xciting 500
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:49:38 AM »
I have heard that the optimum jet is slightly rich at WOT and to tune this way.  You should look for the engine speed to pick up at just slightly less than full open.  This is a safety measure to ensure the longevity of the engine, especially if you find the majority of your riding is done at WOT.  It does sound like you were running a bit rich for your preference, but be careful not to tune too lean!  Your altitude may have amplified this more than would be at sea level also.  A 118 may actually be ideal at sea level.  Dropping 20 sizes is a huge difference, and I have a feeling you will be on the dangerous side if you do.  I would try dropping 5 at a time, 10 at the most, and definitely get some extra plugs to do some reading!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:13:15 PM »
I Agree W/ shaka. Try a 112, 110, 108. 98 may be too far!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

iolite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:31:11 AM »
Thanks for the input! ive ended up fitting a 110 main and it seems to be running much better! its a pitty there is not an easy way fitting the main without removing the whole carb....but i ended up cleaning it as i was suprised to find a lot of rubish inside.....wil have to check my filter.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 05:37:35 AM »
Glad to hear you got it worked out!  As for ease of accessing the main jet; you could always install a performance carb! ;)  Sounds like it needed a good cleaning none the less!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:46:07 PM »
Good to here! Check your plug again after 10 miles or so to get a good overall pict. of how you are tuned.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()