Author Topic: Trackside with Ken on The Big Buck GNCC  (Read 3130 times)

500racer2

• View Profile
Trackside with Ken on The Big Buck GNCC
« on: April 18, 2008, 01:46:13 AM »
It all started out very well with and excellent holeshot with the rookie.  I got boxed out on turn 2 and was in 5th when we went through the start/finish line.  We took off down the first straight away and everyone was going to the left.  I had the quad pinned and was looking at the trail to the right when Dan decided to change his course and pull in front of me.  I took one for the team as to keep from hitting him and taking us both out, I went headfirst into a large tree, hitting my helmet on it as I went over the bars.  I got back up and going in last and found our Rookie stuck in a clump of trees.  I passed him and went around the next corner and slid off the trail in the mud into a row of small pines.  The Rookie went wizzing by chuckling I am sure.  I am not sure where I passed a few people but I managed to get up into about the 5th position by the end of lap 1.  At the beginning of lap 2 ,I noticed the rear of my quad not responding well.  I had broken my rear axle in half and only the left rear tire was was functional.  I threw it into 4wd and continued onward at a much slower pace.  Near the end of the lap I lost control coming down a steep embankment and slammed into my second large tree of the day.  This one made my newly made front bumper a permanent fixture to my radiator and fan.  It also was touching my left wheel not allowing me to turn right.  I managed to make it in the last 500 yds or so to the finish line and the Rookies Dad was there to take charge of my situation.  He sprinted like the wind back to his trailer as I tailed him.  He started with a large hammer and ended up cutting the ends of my bumper off with a hack saw. I am Really glad he was there to help me.  I took back off and now the red light is on and we are overheating.  I pushed my way through the third lap to the big hill climb.   I tried to make it up, but no luck.  I almost rolled the quad over getting it down.  Alot of spectators were there and thats all they were doing, spectating.  I pulled the gearshift into reverse and backed up the big hillclimb with both front wheels digging.  Trust me,  this is not as easy as it sounds.  I managed to get through lap 3 and into lap 4.  The engine is really hot at this point, and it is pouring down the rain, but we keep going.  I know one thing about the Kymco 500.  It has to be one of the toughest motors I have ever raced on a quad.  I took out my radiator in the third turn at Millfield last year and completed 5, 11 mile laps at 94 degrees with absolutely no antifreeze and that engine purred like a kitten.  If this had been my Kawasaki Prairie 700, my race would have been over in less than a mile.  The engines on these quads are almost indestructable. I stand by that, they are now race proven.  At the end of my day I managed to finish in 5th place.  Not bad for all that happened to me.  On a better note, my son, Doug, who is in the schoolboy class finished his race in the 15th position.  What we didn't know until later was that I finished 159th overall and he finished 160th.  He was just 15 seconds behind me on the last lap of the race.  His eyes lit up when he saw that he almost beat me.  I may have to retire before I allow my son to beat me outright in a race.  I am not sure if I could handle the long ride home if this happens.
Congrats to the entire Kymco Race Team.  Out of 10 machines racing that day, we only had one miniquad that didn't finish every lap of the race.  We are getting better every race and our riders, parents, and pit crews are doing a hell of a job to keep us up and running.  Thanks alot!!!!!
2001-2004 Student of the Arts
2005 GNCC Utility Stock Champion
2006 Factory Arctic Cat
2007 PQR Racing/High Energy Kymco Member
2008 Kymco Factory Race Team

500racer2

• View Profile
Re: Trackside with Ken on The Big Buck GNCC
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:05:12 AM »
Lap 1
2001-2004 Student of the Arts
2005 GNCC Utility Stock Champion
2006 Factory Arctic Cat
2007 PQR Racing/High Energy Kymco Member
2008 Kymco Factory Race Team

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:38:03 PM »
I know one thing about the Kymco 500.  It has to be one of the toughest motors I have ever raced on a quad.  I took out my radiator in the third turn at Millfield last year and completed 5, 11 mile laps at 94 degrees with absolutely no antifreeze and that engine purred like a kitten.  If this had been my Kawasaki Prairie 700, my race would have been over in less than a mile.  The engines on these quads are almost indestructable. I stand by that, they are now race proven. 

Yeah, I would say it can take a beating.  Sounds like that 500 got worked!  It is cool to hear about the limits of these machines.  I think most of us shut the engine off if the red light comes on :D  It has happened on my DRZ400 and I lock up both breaks and start fan’n her down.

Reverse up the hill?  I would never think of doing that, you don’t mess around.  Whatever it takes!

Nice work by all you guys.  That is awesome to hear you kid almost beat you.  I know that day will be bitter sweet when it happens to me.
Congrats to the entire Kymco Race Team.  Out of 10 machines racing that day, we only had one miniquad that didn't finish every lap of the race.  We are getting better every race and our riders, parents, and pit crews are doing a hell of a job to keep us up and running.  Thanks alot!!!!!

Congrats Team Kymco!  Thanks for the race report 500racer2!

MXU500_Red

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:06:56 AM »
Another awesome report from 500racer2.
Another great report on the Kymco MXU500 and it's performance and durability!.

Makes me want to go out and beat up on mine :D

'07 Kymco MXU500 (mine)
ITP Mud Lite XTR 26/9/12 - 26/11/12 on ITP Type 7 rims
AC Racing slip-on pipe
Warn 3000 lb. winch

'07 Kymco MXU300 (wife)
EPI Clutch Kit (rollers/spring)
1.5 " Wheel Spacers

'07 Kymco MXU150 (son)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()