Author Topic: Kymco vs Generic "GY6" Chinese Scooters ... Thoughts?  (Read 3016 times)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Kymco vs Generic "GY6" Chinese Scooters ... Thoughts?
« on: February 17, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »
Is there a quality longevity difference between Kymco and no name chinese scooters? 

How would you rank brands such as:

Kymco up to 700cc

Limited to 150 to 170cc max:
Genuine
Lance
SYM

Japanese scooters: Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha
Italian: piaggio / vespa. Are some piaggio's made in China? or engines?

I know from reading the Burgman forum various models had some issues.

BettinANDlosing - any thoughts?
PaulC

pipster326

• View Profile
Re: Kymco vs Generic "GY6" Chinese Scooters ... Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »
I am fairly new to scooter riding. I started out with a Lance Venice 150cc.( which I still have) I moved up to a Kymco downtown 300i in October. I had a lot of fun on the Venice, but there is a huge difference in quality and performance with the kymco. Especially on the highway and overall handling. The Chinese scoots don't like the cold weather either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »
Even my local Honda dealer who carries Kymco admits the quality on the Kymcos is close to Honda...they rarely get one back with any problems.

They also sell Lance but carry the line for folks who are shopping price.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Honda Nighthawk
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200 gt
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 05:58:57 PM »
My local dealer also sells Kymco, guinune , and two lines of Chinese scooters (forgot which ones) . He states that the Chinese ones are for those price shopping. He also states that the lower priced one are disposable. The college students buy them, ride them  for about 7 thousand miles while in college, and simply discard them because by then they are worn out.

He also states that in order to make them last longer, they change the oil AND spark plug BEFORE the customer takes delivery of them. They don't have to do that with the Guinune, or the Kymco. He states that both of those brands usually give many miles of service if maintained well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 12:34:33 AM »
Good feedback, thanks everyone.
PaulC

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 01:44:17 AM »
My Kymco LIKE200iLX is manufactured in China.
I have no issues with its build quality.
Apparently there was a very hefty price drop of several hundred $ after the initial launch of the scooter. (according to justgottascoot review) Some supposed that this was because the build was moved from Taiwan to China - but I do not think any LIKE200i's were built in Taiwan. Maybe true of the 125's & 50's as well.
I have had only one clip of a panel break in nearly 3 yrs of riding (riding down to 4 degrees F might have caused that),
I may have caused the TPS to lose its low speed footing by riding around 4,000 miles at 25mph. I am not exagerating this mileage - as I was learning to trust a scooter & myself.
Throttle body was replaced under warranty as a result.
Otherwise, not even a bulb has failed.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 02:22:44 AM »
My Kymco LIKE200iLX is manufactured in China.
I have no issues with its build quality.

I second the Kymco build quality.  My GV250 just turned 19K miles.  There are some design issues: Hot starting (it has a carb but so do many motorcycles and they start much better overall and when hot), Exhuast cracked several times and I welded it but I know of two other GV250's where that happened.  Instrument panel light goes on and off and is off most to the time.  Electric mirrors easily damaged and very expensive to replace although they do provide good visibility. Pilot jet passage should be at least twice the size - less chance of a clog and easier to clean with carb cleaner.

Best parts: balance, variator / clutch general driveline is very smooth, consistent and reliable.  Also, cooling system works great.  Good under seat storage, good wind protection except stock windshield - replaced with the super tall Givi.
PaulC

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 02:45:46 AM »
Three likes... taiwan made on a 2011 and 2 asembled with taiwan spares in argentina a 2014 and a 2015.

Only issues i had where..
with the rollers on 2 of the 3 scoots and the first like had a blue clutch bell making it shake and got a leak on the seal.
One clock works randomly and didnt have to time to pull appart to check.

No big issues so far never failed to start im impressed how well they are built. Reliability is rated on 11!

Mods.. dr pulley sliders and iridium plug. Thats all...

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »
I would like to add that both of my Kymcos (purchased new) have been reliable.  The Super 9 engine was replaced on a warranty recall due to a bad cracked casting on the engine mount.  But neither has ever left me stranded.

I guess what really impresses me is the feeling of 'quality' I get when riding both scooters.  I am picky about maintaining and cleaning the scoots, and enjoy both on almost any kind of ride.  I plan to do a longer camping trip on the Yager in late spring.  The Super 9 is a hoot around town.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Honda Nighthawk
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200 gt
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

An Error Has Occurred!