Author Topic: Gas leaking out of air filter on to the ground and scooter in Sun won't start  (Read 1347 times)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
UPDATE: 04-06-2016
I have filled up around 4 times and have been careful not to fill the filler neck to the top by stop as I see gas bubbling up.  When I look at the area above the dipstick I no longer see what looked like oil stains.  Also, hot starting seems a little better but the weather need to get hotter to be sure.

I just had this problem and realized what was going on with my 2005 Grandvista 250.  I chronically fill to the top.  Last night I overfilled to the point that some gas spilled from the top.  Next day the scooter started right up no problem.  I let it warm up and shut it off.  Restarted and went to the gym.  Scooter sat in the hot sun for several hours.  Could not get it started even with the throttle twisted 1/2 way.  Then I noticed a big puddle of gas on the ground coming out of the bottom hole that is ~ 1/2 inch wide.  Verified that all lines were hooked up correctly.  Removed the carb and cranked the motor to dry things and hooked up the carb and got it started and put the seat back in.  Got home ~ 3 miles.  No gas leaked out. 

Searched google which led me here and then I realized that last night I over filled and probably got gas into the charcoal filter.  Also, I ride 5 days a week and have 19K miles so I always fill to the top then carefully tilt the scooter which causes the gas to go down into the filler neck to get the maximum distance out of each tank.  I'm going to stop doing this. 

The manual warns against overfilling but I though I was getting away with it.  I also noticed on my scoot and another that had 26K miles that there is a stain under the carb and lower right side of the motor that looks like oil but is actually gas.  My and probably the other scooter owners chronic overfilling may be the cause of this issue.  I will clean that area, and stop overfilling and see if it goes away.

Could this also contribute to the hot starting problem where you need crank the motor with the throttle at ~ 1/2 way open?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:51:38 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Gas leaking out of air filter on to the ground and scooter in Sun won't start
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
I have an Xciting 250. I overfill as well. But I usually immediately drive it about ten miles afterwards. I've been getting away with it. But it's still cold. After reading about your experience, even though it's fuel injected, I won't push my luck during those Florida summers. Thanks for the warning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
No problem Forbes.  How do you like the xciting 250 and how long have you had it?
PaulC

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Just bought it a month and a half ago. Although I have nothing to compare it to, (my first motorized two wheeler), I love it. I've driven it to work (50 miles one way) several times at approximately 65 mph. And I loved the ride. It easily handles that speed. Also, I'm getting around 60 mpg at those speeds. Much better than the 22 mpg  of my Town Car. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Good to hear.  50mi each way is quit a drive and a good test of comfort.  Most motorcycles would leave you ragged from wind, noise and vibration in the hands / wrists.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()