Author Topic: Texting while driving  (Read 4050 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Texting while driving
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »
Her husband said she does it all the time. Her mother says the same thing. I thought I could make some input that would make some sense. She denied ever doing such a thing. I began to see what her old man was saying. He said he is on her case about it every time they go. She drives. This kind of mentality is impossible to reason. I guess we all have to really watch out for such bone-brains because nothing will get through to them.

Karl

PS: We are talking about a mature woman of late thirties.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Texting while driving
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »
There is none so blind as those who choose not to see.  I had a kid texting in th the lane next to me just come right into my lane like I  wasn't there.  I hit the side of his car with my hand.  He didn't hear my horn blaring.  He looked up like nothing was wrong. 
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 05:12:28 PM »
The words are there, Paul, I am not supposed to say 'em! Not supposed to THINK 'em!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:56:31 PM »
Just keep saying what you think Karl.  It's better than trying to gnaw off the restraints  ;)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »
There are a few things on my Worst list. Cell phone drivers are on the top portion. Satisfaction would be a way to retaliate for those who do it. I think we all dream of ways, but I have no interest in spending time in jail, being sued, or haven to pay for damages to someone else vehicle. Shaming works for me. Having a clear pic and license plate of a violator to post on a social media site sounds like a good start.

The best for me would be if the police would actually do something against the violators. Heavy fines, loss of their phones, or better, their license. Until then we have to be on our guard. It's a cell phone world. Whether you're riding your bike, or walking on the street or even on the sidewalk. Driver's aren't always paying attention.

- wolf

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:32:12 PM »
Another reason to be hyper alert while riding. 

I worry less on my scooter than I do on my road bicycle. On the scoot, I'm at least moving with traffic and only have to worry about the side swipe. On the bicycle, I wouldn't see it coming.
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 11:43:57 PM »
Same here MrClark. I use to road bike until one of the riders in my usual group got struck and killed. I am now looking to sell my road bike  but I am keeping my mountain bike! I too believe scooters are safer than bicycles. I certainly wear more protective gear on my scooter.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:34:09 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 03:13:50 PM »
PTDDDAD ( PUT THE DAMN DEVICE DOWN AND DRIVE) !!!
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:05 PM »
Don't know if he was texting, but he did admit he was distracted when he rear-ended me yesterday. I was in a Kia minivan pulling a trailer, stopped at a stoplight. He, in a full-size Chevvy pickup doing something other than paying attention. Woulda been real bad had I been on the scoot. No damage to either the utility trailer or the van. Roughed up his front end a bit.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
PTDDDAD ( PUT THE DAMN DEVICE DOWN AND DRIVE) !!!

Ahh and there's the rub.

At a time when distracted driving is at the forefront auto builders insist on "fixing" the issue by adding MORE technology. I bought a new truck last week and it has Apple iplay and it's a great system. Except IMO adds yet another level of distractions. I don't care how well you understand it there's just too much crap to play with.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »
Ahh and there's the rub.

At a time when distracted driving is at the forefront auto builders insist on "fixing" the issue by adding MORE technology. I bought a new truck last week and it has Apple iplay and it's a great system. Except IMO adds yet another level of distractions. I don't care how well you understand it there's just too much crap to play with.

AMAC
You nailed it, AMAC. Too much technology to distract drivers. My grown, adult daughter told us, "I hate when you're on your scooters. You can't even answer your phone when I need to call you." Well, that's why we love it - no stupid phones. All of our attention is on riding, pure and simple. She doesn't get it.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 03:23:51 PM »
Don't know if he was texting, but he did admit he was distracted when he rear-ended me yesterday. I was in a Kia minivan pulling a trailer, stopped at a stoplight. He, in a full-size Chevvy pickup doing something other than paying attention. Woulda been real bad had I been on the scoot. No damage to either the utility trailer or the van. Roughed up his front end a bit.

Karl

This happen last week. 
It was posted by a member of a Shooters Blog I'm on, and it was featured on the evening news and is being looked into by a local investigative reporter.
One of Las Vegas's "finest" cruising the freeway 75 - 80 mph using his cell phone.  Nevada state law does not prohibit "gun wearing report takers" ie cops or firemen for using their cell phones while on duty and driving.  Although Las Vegas Metro Police policy strictly forbids it.
The law prohibits us lowly peasants from doing the same without being charged as a moving violation.   
Legal or not, imagine being run into by this jackwad.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »
I cant even text while sitting on the couch, how do they do it while driving???!!!!

Treat it like DUI!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:21:27 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Voodooscoot

• View Profile
    • Voodoo Scoots  S/C
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 02:34:36 AM »
Was tailgated yesterday by a female of an est. age of 20 on phone (plus boom box blaring).   I was going about 35 mph. She was too close for my comfort. I reached in my side pocket on my riding jacket; that had about 15 pennies ( like always).   Well   you can figure it out.   needless to say- she SLOWED down quick and I turned off.
Recruiter for Voodoo Scoots   S/C
2013 Super 8 150cc

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »
Was tailgated yesterday by a female of an est. age of 20 on phone (plus boom box blaring).   I was going about 35 mph. She was too close for my comfort. I reached in my side pocket on my riding jacket; that had about 15 pennies ( like always).   Well   you can figure it out.   needless to say- she SLOWED down quick and I turned off.

May be satisfying but not the answer.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()