Author Topic: Darwin Awards  (Read 3505 times)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
Darwin Awards
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:30:34 PM »
Slow day at the office...  thought you may enjoy this.

2009 The Darwin Awards from the shallow end of the Gene Pool.

Yes, it's that magical time of year again when the Darwin Awards are bestowed, honoring the least evolved among us.
Here is the glorious winner:

1. When his 38 caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach , California would-be robber James Elliot did something that can only inspire wonder. He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked.

And now, the honorable mentions:

2. The chef at a hotel in Switzerland lost a finger in a meat cutting machine and after a little shopping around, submitted a claim to his insurance company. The company expecting negligence sent out one of its men to have a look for himself. He tried the machine and he also lost a finger. The chef's claim was approved.

3. A man who shoveled snow for an hour to clear a space for his car during a blizzard in Chicago returned with his vehicle to find a woman had taken the space.. Understandably, he shot her.

4.. After stopping for drinks at an illegal bar, a Zimbabwean bus driver found that the 20 mental patients he was supposed to be transporting from Harare to Bulawayo had escaped. Not wanting to admit his incompetence, the driver went to a nearby bus stop and offered everyone waiting there a free ride. He then delivered the passengers to the mental hospital, telling the staff that the patients were very excitable and prone to bizarre fantasies. The deception wasn't discovered for 3 days.

5. An American teenager was in the hospital recovering from serious head wounds received from an oncoming train. When asked how he received the injuries, the lad told police that he was simply trying to see how close he could get his head to a moving train before he was hit.

6. A man walked into a Louisiana Circle-K, put a $20 bill on the counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled, leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer... $15. [If someone points a gun at you and gives you money, is a crime committed?]

7. Seems an Arkansas guy wanted some beer pretty badly.. He decided that he'd just throw a cinder block through a liquor store window, grab some booze, and run. So he lifted the cinder block and heaved it over his head at the window. The cinder block bounced back and hit the would-be thief on the head, knocking him unconscious. The liquor store window was made of Plexiglas. The whole e! Vent was caught on videotape.

8. As a female shopper exited a New York convenience store, a man grabbed her purse and ran. The clerk called 911 immediately, and the woman was able to give them a detailed description of the snatcher. Within minutes, the police apprehended the snatcher. They put him in the car and drove back to the store. The thief was then taken out of the car and told to stand there for a positive ID. To which he replied, "Yes, officer, that's her. That's the lady I stole the purse from."

9. The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a Burger King in Ypsilanti , Michigan at 5 A.M., flashed a gun, and demanded ! Cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren't available for breakfast. The man, frustrated, walked away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]

10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.

*** Remember..... They walk among us!!!***
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: Darwin Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
... and not only do they walk among us, but they drive big vehicles among us!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »
I've been an avid fan of Darwin Awards since BBS times, at the beginning of 80's.  ;D ;)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »
The best one I ever read was this one:

[Arkansas Democrat Gazette]:"Two local men were injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early one Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older-model truck had burned out. A replacement fuse was not available, but Wallis noticed that the 22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering-wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet the headlights again began to operate properly, and the two men proceeded eastbound toward the White River Bridge. After traveling approximately 20 miles, and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged, and struck Poole in the testicles. The vehicle swerved sharply right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident, but will require extensive surgery to repair the damage to his testicles, which will never operate as intended. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. 'Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls off, or we might both be dead,' stated Wallis. 'I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this accident happened,' said the investigating officer. On being notified of the wreck, Lavinia Poole (Poole's wife - the other half of any offspring's genome) asked how many frogs the boys had caught and whether anyone had gotten them from the truck!

(Note: Though Poole and Wallis did not die as a result of their misadventure as normally required by Darwin Award Official Rules, it can be argued that Poole did nonetheless effectively remove himself from the gene pool.)"

... but, it turns out this was a hoax report. Never happened. Still a funny bit of imaginative writing.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
..To Maintain A Healthy Level Of Insanity Whilst Wading Through These Shallow Pools...

1.. At Lunch Time, Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and point a Hair Dryer At Passing Cars. See If They Slow Down.

2. Page Yourself Over The Intercom. Don't Disguise Your Voice!

3. Every Time Someone Asks You To Do Something, ask If They Want Fries with that.

4. Put Decaf In The Coffee Maker For 3 Weeks . Once Everyone has Gotten Over Their Caffeine Addictions, Switch to Espresso.

5. In the Memo Field Of All Your Checks, Write ' For Marijuana.

6. Skip down the hall Rather Than Walk and see how many looks you get.

7. Order a Diet Water whenever you go out to eat, with a serious face.

8. Specify That Your Drive-through Order Is 'To Go'..

9. Sing Along At The Opera.

10. Five Days In Advance, Tell Your Friends You Can't Attend Their Party Because You have a headache.

11. When The Money Comes Out The ATM, Scream 'I Won! I Won!'

12.. When Leaving the Zoo, Start Running towards the Parking lot, Yelling 'Run For Your Lives! They're Loose!'

13. Tell Your Children Over Dinner, 'Due To The Economy, We Are Going To Have To Let One Of You Go.'

And The Final Way To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity

14. PICK UP A BOX OF CONDOMS AT THE PHARMACY, GO TO THE COUNTER AND ASK WHERE THE FITTING ROOM IS.

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:31:54 PM »
I've been an avid fan of Darwin Awards since BBS times, at the beginning of 80's.  ;D ;)

Wow. BBS. Haven't heard that in a while. 300 baud and busy signals... those were the days...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:50:18 PM »
Wow. BBS. Haven't heard that in a while. 300 baud and busy signals... those were the days...

:) Been there since 1200 baud... :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:29:48 PM »
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:40:58 AM »
How did you miss this one?

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2009-04.html

...that is completely true...happened a cpl miles from my house...

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:17 PM »
300 Baud, acoustical modem, TI994A, BBS, I guess some of us have been doing this for awhile.  Axy, 1200 Baud, 10 MHZ and 640 K, I was flying.   I had two wheels and was getting online talking about riding and there were the Darwin awards.  Some things change and some don't.   You'd think we'd run out of stupid people by now.  

As Lazarus Long says:
Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:31:20 PM by winginman »
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 10:32:43 PM »
Simply amazing is my only thought! Although the 22 cal. fuse was untrue, MythBusters replicated it and found it "not a good idea". My own brother got pulled over for having no tail lights on his VW. The cop let him go with a warning,not to drive anymore because his license was suspended. My brother went to the hadrware, replaced the fuse, went to the bar for a few, saw the cop on his way home, and pulled over to show him the lights were working... I picked him up in the morning!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:45:19 AM »
Simply amazing is my only thought! Although the 22 cal. fuse was untrue, MythBusters replicated it and found it "not a good idea". My own brother got pulled over for having no tail lights on his VW. The cop let him go with a warning,not to drive anymore because his license was suspended. My brother went to the hadrware, replaced the fuse, went to the bar for a few, saw the cop on his way home, and pulled over to show him the lights were working... I picked him up in the morning!

So, does he too drive Agility now because of DUI? :) :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »
So, does he too drive Agility now because of DUI? :) :)

...hey now...let's not be ugly..

;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 04:24:15 PM »
You guys KILL me!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »
 ;) ;D :P :-X
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()