Author Topic: Malossi Torque Driver 618317 install  (Read 9323 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Malossi Torque Driver 618317 install
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:47:40 AM »
I got this part months ago and initially couldn't figure out how to install it.  If you do a thorough web search, you will find many machine down the lip that makes if different from the Kymco oem part, and the reason it doesn't install without modification.  There are a few posts out there of people like me that don't have access to a machine shop, didn't want to spend any extra $'s to intall a part that was advertised to be bolt on, but doesn't work without modification.

I had it for sale, but not any more, will probably buy another one now.  Recently, my CVT has been giving me fits.  I get it set-up the way I want it, it works right for awhile and then starts to go out of set-up.  A big part of the problem is the Kymco oem torque driver has 2 angles in the grooves that control how fast the torque driver opens/ closes.  It's a little like having overdrive, and shifts the CVT into overdrive before you want it, killing revs and acceleration.  The Malossi torque driver has straight cut grooves which eliminates the dog leg overdrive problem, and has 2 different angles you can try.  As I understand it, the steeper angle moves the pulley in and out faster, the less steep angle moves it slower or stays in position longer for more revs at lower speeds.

Since no one wanted it, and if I could get it installed it would probably help the CVT perform better, I kept brain storming different ways to install it.  I think the lip was left extra to strengthen the pulley, so I didn't want to remove it.  The collar seal is pretty beefy, so I started thinking about just trimming off the top of the collar seal and letting the bottom rest on the edge of the lip.  The o-ring seal at the bottom of the collar seal is larger than the top o-ring and appeared to make a good seal.  I read that machining down the lip makes it difficult to seal the grease in, so I was concerned about leaking grease.

I was also concerned about the bottom of the collar seal becoming fatigued and failing over time, so I thought it should be supported on the bottom like the Kymco oem.  The ID is approx 48mm, and there aren't many shims/ washers that size.  I finally realized the torque spring wire was about the right thichness and maybe one coil would work to support the bottom of the collar seal.  I cut a coil out of the extra white spring I got with my Malossi variator kit and it appeared to be about perfect, right thickness, a little too large ID, but very close.

I cut down the top edge of the collar seal with a little 5" table disk sander I have.  Didn't take long, only had to cut it down approx 5/16" or so.  I left a little so the o-ring at bottom would be compressed a little to make a good seal, and the spring coil keeps it from being compressed too much, just right.

I checked all the pieces, cleaned everything, greased it and assembled it.  Only issue, with the top o-ring installed, the collar seal was very tight to get installed.  I think the o-ring groove on the Malossi torque driver is a little small and lets the o-ring stick out a little too much?  Anyway, I eventually got it together without bending anything and looks great, I was very pleased.  It's going to be a bear to disassemble later.

For the test, I used everything Kymco oem, except for the Malossi torque driver, i.e. Kymco variator, rollers, fly springs, torque spring, no Malossi torsion controller.  I took it out for a ride, and was very impressed.  I miss the Malossi variator, maybe, and needs lighter rollers, but scooter really liked this set-up.  Starting out, would rev to 8000 revs to get going, then settle down to 7000 revs and just stay there until revs started climbing again once CVT was in highest gear.  Scooter was fairly fast, but will be faster when I get CVT to rev to approx 7500 and stay there.  It was so cool not to get bogged down at approx 40mph, like it does as the Kymco torque driver moved through the dog leg.

Next I start over tuning the CVT:  install lighter Dr Pulley sliders, reinstall the Malossi variator, install Green Malossi torque spring (least stift torque spring), probably leave out Malossi torsion controller because the spring is already compressed by the lip at the bottom of the torque driver.  I will monitor for any problems, but don't think there will be any.  Score one for Malossi, I think this torque driver will be great.  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
Re: Malossi Torque Driver 618317 install
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 04:20:03 AM »
did you get any pics? and nice I been thinking bout this as my next purchase after Malossi BBK is installed.
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »
Yeah man!  Get us visuals!  I've found one I am trying to talk myself into buying,  I would like to see what you did.  Even just a pic of it assembled without the clutch on it would help. 
Congrats on getting it to work!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
Sorry I didn't take any pics, already installed.  I will be sure to take some pics, when I disassemble it to try the other set of grooves.  Very difficult to see difference in angle between 2 sets, but there is a difference.  There is a little marker above 1 set of grooves, but I don't know which one it's marking.  Anyway, that's the one I tried initially the set that is marked.

I know long discussion a pain to read, but it's all there.  Plus Tries, you know what it looks like, you showed me pics of the Malossi torque driver and collar sleave mounted with the end of the collar sleeve sticking up above the torque driver.  You know it can't protrude above the torque driver, because that's the end where the clutch mounts to and would inhibit movement of the pulley, i.e. it wouldn't open all the way. 

You just take that end of the collar sleeve and grind it down so it's flush with the top of the torque driver.  Be sure to allow for the bottom o-ring.  Also, don't install the top o-ring until you are ready for final assembly, it's very tight and you only want to put it together 1 time.

Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »
Malossi is not the only one, I know NCY makes one too and it's less $'s.  The NCY has 2 sets of grooves, like Malossi, but they are different.  I may buy one to try, I saw it on ebay.  Narraku makes one too, I saw it on Racingplanetusa.  Malossi is probably best quality, but more expensive.  You can pay over $150 for one of these, if you don't look around some.

Here's a link of install on scooterinvasion:  http://www.scooterinvasion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2956&sid=caf6251dabb146f3731c52711eddd462

Real simple, on my install I didn't cut down the lip, I cut down the top of the collar seal, that's it, see?

Do you need pic of collar seal? It's the piece that slides over the torque driver and holds the pins in place, holds the grease in.  It's in the bottom pic of the scooterinvasion link.

Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »
here's another link to pic of torque driver with collar seal http://s3.photobucket.com/user/scootertrog/media/sealcollaronMalossiTorqueDrivePulle.jpg.html

can you see that the top of the collar seal is above the top of the torque driver?, that's what I cut down to be flush, simple as pie?  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 05:14:20 PM »
So the metal tI've that slips over it right? And what is that like an 1/8" or whatever to get it flush with driver?
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 07:50:31 PM »
Yes, the metal tube that slips over the torque driver, that's what will be too long.  It's something over 1/8", less than 1/4" too long.  I took my time sanding it down to keep it square, and not take too much off.  Remember: measure 2 times, cut 1 time.  You can use the o-rings from your Kymco torque driver or get new ones.  The Malossi kits comes with o-rings, but the larger one for the bottom in my kit was too loose, I didn't use it.  I used new Kymco o-rings, top and bottom.

After you cut the collar seal shorter, you need another collar seal, if you want to put it back the way it was.  I plan to get another Kymco oem collar seal for spare, just in case.  Plus, before you buy Malossi torque driver, you might want to wait for my updates.  I don't anticipate problems, but if it does blow-up, leaks grease, etc I will post an update.

My latest thinking, I will probably order NCY torque driver to try, a lot less $'s, plus a little different to try.  These Malossi are pricey, don't really know if worth it, Malossi has great franchise that you pay extra for, not sure they deserve it.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 11:10:33 PM »
I'll definitely wait for update most of what I got on my Like so far is Malossi it just seems they have much better quality than other. but I would run a NCY or Naruku or Poloni if they make one and it improves performance. If you look here http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=15099.0 you can see what I got in the mail today.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 12:44:19 AM »
That's cool, I got one of those kits for my People 50 2T, awesome kit, but I managed to destroy it.  Have another Malossi BBK now, still waiting on new crankshaft to start over, got in case splitting tool today, getting expensive.  I am way past what I originally wanted to do, but having fun.  I got it running 2 times, the way it sounded and ran for a little while keeps me going.

If you follow my BBK thread on People 50 forum, you will be afraid to do my Malossi torque driver mod lol's.

I noticed you have Malossi 19mm carb.  Did you do a write-up on it?  I am thinking of getting that too, have been doing some research on it.  I will probably get a new throttle cable, don't like what you have to do to the oem throttle cable.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 01:10:39 AM »
I have seen your BBK thread.......yeah........we can ride together but you ain't touching my scoot.....jkjk lol yeah I will either take my time doing this or take it to the scooter shop I help out at occasionally and let them do it. I do have the 19mm carb and I did mess up the throttle cable completely trying to get it on with my last order from treatland I got two domino cable splitters and this weekend will completely destroy the oem one to get it apart then try to install the Malossi throttle cable that came with the kit. it dosen't fully open right now and it also hangs big time when I let off the throttle dosen't usually return to idle till I'm stopped. I will do a write up once I got it running right probably make sure its tuned before BBK goes on then document changes that were made with BBK installed.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 01:34:46 AM »
You should be in good shape with the shop support.  I am all alone out here, but have worked on small engines all my life, had some success, and destroyed a lot of stuff too.

I don't know, but I think I can order a Kymco throttle cable and it will come without the carb top cap.  I think if you need a new Kymco oem throttle cable, you have to order a throttle top cap to go with it.  That's what all the Kymco parts detail show that I have looked it.  Anyway, that's what I am going to try.

Good info about your 19mm carb.  When I 1st got my scooter, my plan was to just ride it, and do very little.  If I wanted to go faster, I would get a 150cc scooter.  However, these 49cc 2T scoots are fun to tweak, so I keep doing mods and spending $'s

My son-n-law has nice Honda PCX 150 and I constantly think about getting one too.  However, I still like my 49cc Kymco scoots better. 

Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 01:45:20 AM »
The Malossi kit comes with a throttle cable designed to open carb all the way as the OEM cable dosent do this in my attempt to get OEM splitter apart I jacked up carb cable and its running but not great and jacked up oil pump cable to point it was full out which is comming out of pipe so had to bend the bracket to get it back in hashmarks. I planned on a few things but never BBK till I saw scooterpartsco.com prices for malossi stuff pretty much cheaper than anywhere else by a ton and also three hours away so things I have ordered are here in three days or less most times unless its in their warehouse.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 04:29:19 AM »
I wondered if you got the Malosssi 1611028 carb kit, I guess so.  That's the one I was thinking about, but would like to get it figured out before I buy it.  I buy some stuff from scooterparts co too, that's where I got the Malossi torque driver.

I notice the ad for the carb says "keep your oil injection system" whatever that means, but doesn't give you a split cable to do it, and you're saying the oem cable doesn't work properly.  I thought the extra long cable was for locating the choke control on the handle bar?  Another bolt on Malossi kit that doesn't quite measure up?  I know many run these larger carbs with premix oil, disabling the oil injector and I can see why.  I really like the oil injector and would like to retain it.

The solution of the carb not opening all the way may be different hand control.  I used to race karts and one engine had Dellorto VHSB34,  that carb had a really long pull to get the carb to WOT.  You can also put a bell crank between the hand control and the carb to change the movement of the cable to increase movement or decrease it.  I don't know, but maybe need to learn how to make custom cables?

We need to start a new thread and get this figured out.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 06:01:14 AM »
we can start another thread maybe ge more input but yes thats the kit I got and no choke is not to go to handlebars it is the longer cable but designed to mount to lower frame area it has exact spots in installation instructions for different makes and models. And yes no cable splitter but I suppose if experienced enough would be able to disassemble OEM spliter. The short cable is from carb to splitter and allows carb to open fully. As for the oil pump with no BBK it is fine but I find alot of threads on different forums deleting it due to not wanting to be worried about reliability and feel I will probably halfway do that by disconnecting cable but not removing so will pump a small amount but probably premix 40/1. As for actual carb cable it should work out maybe once I get this splitter apart I can make a write up as my post asking about it got no replies and will help others I honestly think when it comes to it Malossi they are the best quality and when installed properly most of their parts arwe more durable and better performing than others. With that being said I do take detours like my Tecnigas NextR chrome and my Dr Pulley sliders lol let me get this cable on this weekend and well see whats up.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

An Error Has Occurred!