Author Topic: Stupid me, I know better than to leave anything sit with the crappy gas we have  (Read 3285 times)

roguewave

• View Profile
So I left it sit for a year or so, (only 600 miles on it) it will only start for a few seconds and die. No throttle response, it will just die. Won't even idle. I'm going to take off the plastic so I can get a look at the carb set up. Not easy getting all the plastic off, any on line shop manuals out there?
Thanks for any input

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Dont take the plastic off! Its not necessary. Just lift up your seat, and underneath you will see 5 nuts.  3 up top near fuel filler and 2 chrome ones below in storage area. They are 10mm.  Take the nuts off and completely lift off seat assembly. You will have complete access to your carb on top. Super easy!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

roguewave

• View Profile
Thanks! took carb off then bowl, no trash and not gummed up. Dang...thought for sure I'd see something. Gas flows fine from bottom of fuel tank while cranking.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
I  would drain tank and put in fresh fuel with some Seafoam in it. Couldnt hurt.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Rogue, do not discount the jets or passages plugged with varnish or ethanol gas gunk. Especially the idle jet which is beyond tiny. Usually the first to get blocked.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

roguewave

• View Profile
Thanks I will, can't figure out the start for a second or two and then die. No throttle response, it just dies. I'll figure it out eventually....I think  ::)

cptmoney

• View Profile
My '05 had begun doing this exact same issue.  Dusting off this thread to see if it was resolved....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
My '05 had begun doing this exact same issue.  Dusting off this thread to see if it was resolved....

It would not hurt for you to take the carb off and give it a good cleaning, particularly the tiny passages inside the jets. Some of the passages are just a little wider than a boars hair and any gunk in there will affect the performance. If you do not know how to clean the carb, there are many video tutorials. Good luck!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

eamartin

• View Profile

Did your machine sit for a period of time?

cptmoney

• View Profile
Did your machine sit for a period of time?
Just one winter, as I was told by the P.O..

I just picked it up.... but after the start, she'll run for just one second  - then die. Throttle movement is no help.

eamartin

• View Profile

I just picked it up.... but after the start, she'll run for just one second  - then die. Throttle movement is no help.

Just a couple months of inactivity with ethanol fuel and no fuel stabilizer could easily lead to clogging of the idle jet and of the symptoms you describe.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile

Needs a good carb cleaning IMHO.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

eamartin

• View Profile

Needs a good carb cleaning IMHO.
Agreed.  My last carb cleaning was a Super 8 2T.  The bike would not idle correctly or accelerate properly.  I removed the carb, removed the float bowl and everything looked clean, but I pulled the jets and cleaned them with carb cleaner overnite.  After re-assembly the bike still did not run correctly.  I removed the carb a 2nd time, completely disassembled the carb and placed all metal parts in the carb cleaner overnite.  Inspecting the passages, I noticed that the passage from the idle jet to the carb throat was not a direct drill-through but that it had two 90° turns.  So I could not put a brush or wire straight through.  I could see that some light was making its way through, so I re-assembled and installed the carb.  A little better, but not good.  I removed the carb a 3rd time, completely disassembled the carb and placed all metal parts in the carb cleaner overnite again.  After cleaning the carb again, I rinsed it and let it dry for a day.  Then I put all the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, rinsed them in water and blew them out with air.  After I re-assembled and installed the carb, it starts and runs fine.  But now I notice that a little gas will come out the overflow after I shut off the bike.  That's right.  I failed to bench test for a float valve leak.  Here we go again.       

cptmoney

• View Profile
Agreed.  My last carb cleaning was a Super 8 2T.  The bike would not idle correctly or accelerate properly.  I removed the carb, removed the float bowl and everything looked clean, but I pulled the jets and cleaned them with carb cleaner overnite.  After re-assembly the bike still did not run correctly.  I removed the carb a 2nd time, completely disassembled the carb and placed all metal parts in the carb cleaner overnite.  Inspecting the passages, I noticed that the passage from the idle jet to the carb throat was not a direct drill-through but that it had two 90° turns.  So I could not put a brush or wire straight through.  I could see that some light was making its way through, so I re-assembled and installed the carb.  A little better, but not good.  I removed the carb a 3rd time, completely disassembled the carb and placed all metal parts in the carb cleaner overnite again.  After cleaning the carb again, I rinsed it and let it dry for a day.  Then I put all the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, rinsed them in water and blew them out with air.  After I re-assembled and installed the carb, it starts and runs fine.  But now I notice that a little gas will come out the overflow after I shut off the bike.  That's right.  I failed to bench test for a float valve leak.  Here we go again.       
Wow - that's a stubborn carb!

I have a strong suspicion it's a dirty/gummy carb issue, but thought I'd run it past you all just in case I have missed something incredibly obvious about these bikes - esp since this is my first one.

I have some time this weekend, so I'm hoping to crack into it and take a peek...

We'll get it - slowly but surely.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
CPT, its most likely your jets are clogged. Need to take some cleaner and get a fine wire to run through the holes.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()