Author Topic: electric start problem  (Read 3681 times)

pyro

• View Profile
electric start problem
« on: November 28, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »
Ok so I bought a new battery for my super9 let it charge up then i tried to start it with the electric start and all it does is make a clicking noise but wont crank over

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: electric start problem
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:50:30 PM »
Have you tried the kickstarter?, do you get spark at the sparkplug?  My experience, will not start without good battery, I normally don't use the electric starter, these engines are very easy to start with kickstarter, unless something is wrong.  Main issue is usually choking the carb to get it started, the auto petcock and auto bystarter are a pain IMO.  Good luck.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

pyro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 05:15:36 PM »
I need a new kickstart flange there part out side of the caseing is stripped and what is the wired thing sticking out of the carb on the right what is it called i need a new one

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
OK, I understand kickstarter is broken.  You might be able to get used parts cheap, good luck.  The carb part is probably the auto bystarter, it's chokes the carb to help it start easier.  Sorry, but you may find expensive to replace, like $80 new.  There is guy selling off Super 9 LC parts on ebay, on this site too that probably has everything you need at a good price.

One of my Super 9's has defective auto bystarter and I bypassed it.  Works fine without it, but I have to manually choke the carb to get it started.  I sealed off the little brass pipe that goes down from the carb under the auto bystarter, so it can't pull fuel into the carb.  I used a little bit of solder lead to block it off.  The auto bystarter allows a little extra gas to come into the carb until it's warmed up and then closes off the extra gas.

If you have OEM airbox it's hard to choke, because the air intake is behind the plastic side.  Disconnect the flexible hose and you can choke the carb by blocking the end of the flexible hose that goes into the airbox.  I installed pod airfilter on mine, so I have to wrap the airfilter with a plastic grocery bag to choke it, sounds like a hassle, but is easy to do, starts right up.

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Ok so I bought a new battery for my super9 let it charge up then i tried to start it with the electric start and all it does is make a clicking noise but wont crank over
Often a clicking could be a bad ground

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

aaron8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 11:10:01 PM »
check your connection at the starter. the power wire can become loose and cause a bad connection. also take off the ground wire and clean it with a wire brush.

if the power wire is loose, take a pliers and give the connector a good squeeze and slide it back on

pyro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
Tried that didn't work my 1982 xv 750 Virago Is doing the same thing

aaron8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 09:25:01 PM »
check to see if you are getting 12v to Starter

pyro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 04:37:30 AM »
How do I do that

aaron8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 02:43:38 AM »
buy a multimeter. test the battery for 12v. if that's good, check for power at the relay then check for power coming out of relay. there should be 12v coming out the other side when you press the starter button.

pyro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 06:39:27 AM »
Thanks everyone I found the problem it was the starter I tested it the same way I tested my motorcycle starter when it went bad and it didn't move so I took the starter a part only to find that the brushes had grounded in place ,does anyone know if I can get a rebuild kit for the starter ?

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »
I looked a little on web, didn't see rebuild kit, I saw complete starter motor Kymco pn 31210-GKAK-901 from $50 to $100.  Check with the guy that is parting out his Super 9.  Good luck, glad you got it figured out.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
West 60 Cycle Salvage, Neosho, MO. Lotsa parts from scooters and a Kymco dealer.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pyro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »
Thanks I found a site that sells the starter for 35+free shipping

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 06:07:36 AM »
You should share that link,  wink wink

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()