Author Topic: how to replace throttle cable?  (Read 1570 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
how to replace throttle cable?
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »
I noticed the throttle cable housing bent metal tube is attached to the top of the carb and doesn't want to disassemble.  Is there a trick?  I did a search and found where Art (master People 50 2T builder) couldn't get it off either.  My throttle cable is fine, but may need to replace it in the future, so just planning ahead.

I guess maybe have to buy new carb cap with new cable?  Any comments welcomed.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Re: how to replace throttle cable?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 04:00:18 PM »
I'm a bit late,  but you can do some mild cutting to remove it without completely ruining the tube but still remove the cable.  I learned from a video on YouTube when I needed to put on the 19mm carb.  Mine is a bit ugly,  I was working with an inferior saw,  but I'm sure you could take your time and do a proper job.  I cut parallel to the top first, about a third of the way through,  the cut perpendicular just enough to pry it open.  Then you can carefully close it back tight.  I had to reuse the carb after cutting it for a time. 

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
Thanks for reply.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »
Almost looks like there is a clip underneath the top that holds the cable guide/ tube in place.  If you could remove that, I think the whole assembly tube, cable, and housing might go through the top, but when you got to the junction where the cable splits off to the oil pump, might be a problem there?

Another idea, cut the cable and splice it back together.  Kart racing, there are some cool connectors that are quick connectors for throttle cables, so you could change out an engine quickly at track, probably way too much trouble for scooter.  I still think best solution is probably buy new cable assembly, what we have on scooter is not made to be disassembled?  Cheers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()