Author Topic: Malossi BBK for People 50 2T  (Read 41941 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: Malossi BBK for People 50 2T
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »
Spinning the bearing, I personally don't think it's dangerous, but the mechanic says can turn huge revs, possible for it to explode.  He said not good for bearings to spin free, but I don't buy that, there is no heat or pressure, and lightly lubed with diesel oil  I think mainly issue for wheel bearings where the outside race is part of the hub, those will explode if freewheeled too fast.

I'm a little stupid about the flexhone.  I initially got it to chamfer the ports instead of using carbide bit.  I never chamfered ports before and wasn't comfortable doing it.  I was looking for an easy way to do it and found some guys use flexhone for that purpose, plus I was used to using it on 4T, works great.  I found out hard way flexhone and 2T requires better cleanup, that's the main issue IMO.

As you know, flexhone caused me huge trouble, so I ended up chamfering with the carbide bit anyway.  Now, I am pretty comfortable with the carbide bit, so you are right, don't use it.  I can hardly keep from using it because I have it.  I guess will give up flexhone this time, but should be great to clean up cylinder if have light stick, or for new rings.

Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2016, 05:59:17 PM »
It is very hard not to use something when you bought it for a specific thing. I have been there before and had to step back a second lol if you get this up and running good and have to changes rings later might not hurt to flex hone then. I need to get to work on my ports I have small files but would like to use a dremel. Need to get some cash flowing in so I can start installing my BBK the lil money I", sitting on is mainly going to the Club me and Tries got started out here in NC.
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2016, 05:09:01 AM »
Got it running, road around neighbor for approx 1 hour tonight, so far all is well.  I road approx 20 miles in 1 hour, so 500 mile break-in will take 25 hours?  One hour down, 24 hours to go lol's.

To back up, if you split the case, will need to remove the center stand.  The return spring is a pain to remove and re-install.  I mounted the engine in my workbench vise with wood between the vise jaws and casting to protect it.  Then I used a 1.5"x2" timber (boards they use for shipping, get them free at HomeDepot/ Lowes) as lever.

I drilled a 1/2" hole through the timber so I could place a loop of wire (maybe 1/8" heavy duty fence wire) through it.  I placed one end of the spring on the spring rod coming out of the casting, and placed the wire loop over the hook on the other end of the spring.  I put the free end of the wire through the hole in my lever board, and anchored it on the other side of the board with large vise grips.

Then, I used the board as a lever with the short end under the workbench and stretched the spring down and over the retaining arm on the center stand, worked great.  I worn eye protection, there is a lot of energy in the spring, if comes off and hits you in face, will be trouble.  I took a pic, will try to post it soon.

More to come, will work on posting some pics now.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2016, 06:03:47 AM »
pics of installing center stand spring:

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2016, 07:08:23 AM »
YOU DA MAN CHAZ!!
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2016, 06:22:41 AM »
Rode another 1 hour or so, just 23 hours to complete break-in?  Running nice, I really like the Malossi BBK.  Starts easy, sounds awesome (even with stock muffler).  I can tell going to be loud with the cool chrome Tecnigas Next-R pipe I have to install. 

Just cruising around neighborhood, 30mph top speed.  Has stock muffler, pod air filter, carb jetted 108 main, 45 slow jets, CVT 100% oem, except for Malossi torsion controller (yellow plastic bit).  Have oil pump hooked up, set to pump a little more oil, and adding approx 1 oz extra oil per fill-up of approx 1 gallon gas.

Backup to install:  Took the good advice and didn't flexhone the cylinder.  Cleaned with diesel oil and compressed air, then wiped down with clean cloth.  Put some 2 cycle oil in squirt bottle and gave the cranks bearings, and big rod bearing a shot of oil.  Put some grease on the end of the oil pump gear.  Installed the piston, the side with the hole goes up, let's in air/ fuel mixture from intake manifold, or the arrow on top of piston goes down toward exhaust.

Still hard to get piston circlips in, there is a trick to doing this, but I haven't figured it out yet.  Sometimes they go in easy, sometimes difficult, easy to take out.  I have very nice needle nose pliers to do the job, couldn't do it without really good needle nose pliers.

Read somewhere nice to install cylinder studs, with the BBK the cylinder bolts are a little too long and will sometimes have trouble blowing head gaskets.  I measured, and sure enough the Malossi BBK cylinder/ head is just a touch shorter than the oem Kymco cylinder/ head.  I thought about studs, decided might be in the way removing/ installing the piston, so I bought some nice 7mm washers to space out the bolts just a little.  I think they needed it, I used one washer per bolt.

Another issue is the sparkplug connector, it doesn't fully engage the sparkplug now.  I read somewhere the BBK kit head changes the location of the sparkplug and so the blower housing sparkplug hole isn't centered, that's what causes the trouble.  I couldn't tell it wasn't centered, but already experienced this issue.  I removed the rubber boot fitting around the connector the 1st and 2nd times, and planned to do something about it later.  Upon close inspection, realized the BBK sparkplug is farther away from the blower housing and doesn't fully engage the plug.  But, THE RUBBER BOOT FITTING HAS ANOTHER SETTING THAT PUTS THE CONNECTOR CLOSER TO THE PLUG.  Not easy to move the connector farther into the boot, but once I got it relocated, worked like a charm.  I had to put the hard plastic connector in the vise to hold it, being careful not to crack it, while I manipulated the rubber boot.  So, before you start grinding on the blower housing, try moving the sparkplug connector a little farther into the rubber boot.

If you want to use the oil pump, be sure and bleed it.  Easy to do, just put some oil in the tank with the oil line from the tank to the pump disconnected.  Pretty soon oil will come out the oil line, so quickly connect it to the pump and you are good there.  Then zip tie the oil pump full open and start the engine.  Should be OK for awhile, just put a load of oil into the engine lubing the bearings, piston, cylinder.  Plus, added some oil premix to the gas.  Let it run awhile, then pull the oil line from the oil pump to the intake manifold and check for oil flow.  If working properly, there will be a little pulse of oil coming out the oil line, so you know it's working.  Put the oil line back, remove the zip tie holding the oil pump full open, and you are good.

Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2016, 06:40:36 AM »
Nice Info CHaz but now you're giving me misgivings.....I've never hard of anyone having to add washers to bolts also did you measure squish and if so what was it? I can't wait till you put that exhaust on man its the one upgrade that has made the most difference for me pre BBK. I think I will follow Luigi Like install to the T suince we are close to same build also he was able to install the Malossi upgear kit with no prob so I think after trying your Torgue drive install I will got hat route once BBK is broken in. BUT YOU GOT NO PICS MAN I need pics I learn by doing or seeing not reading. But for real man you're awesome and gotta start posting this in the other forum.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »
more pics coming soon lols, did you get anything from the pics about the center stand spring?, what primary gear kit did Luigi use?, I have Malossi 6711055 for my People 50 2T and doesn't work, that's the same one listed for Like 50 2T, no time, got to go...  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2016, 06:42:11 PM »
Yeah I got what you did there but I don't think I got to worry bout that just doing BBK not cracking open case. I am not sure what upgear kit he used just know it was Malossi since he showed up recently I shot him a message asking for info on that a couple other things just waiting for a reply.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2016, 10:01:37 PM »
The head bolts may be too long because the Malossi head/ cylinder may be slightly shorter than the Kymco oem head/ cylinder.  The Kymco oem bolts are just right for the oem head/ cylinder, but may bottom out with the Malossi BBK.  If the bolts are too long the head/ cylinder will not be be pulled down tight after the bolts are torqued.  You may have problems later like blown head gasket.  So what to do?:  you can get stud kit or do what I did, use a washer under the bolt head to space it out a little, in effect make the bolt shorter.  I like to say "simple is better", a washer is simpler than a stud kit IOM.

I will post some more (including pics) after a week or so, busy on another project for awhile.  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2016, 05:52:51 AM »
I didn't measure squish.  Don't know number shooting for and not sure how to adjust it?  The Malossi head would be hard to adjust IMO, doesn't have a conventional flat head gasket, has a groove and o-ring gasket.  You can add some more cylinder base gaskets to increase squish, but that changes the port timing, and compression ratio.  You can machine off the bottom and/ or top of the cylinder to compress squish.  I have done that manually with alum block engines, but the Malossi cylinder being steel would take a lot of elbow grease to shave a few .000's off the top or bottom.  Long story short, squish is not something I want to mess with, just me, but too complicated for what I am trying to do.

Rode People some more today, have 60 break-in miles on it now.  Really runs nice so far, no issues, no funny sounds, I am happy.

I think the up gear is a key component, but unfortunately I don't think one works for the People.  I have tried the Malossi 6711055, the one that is supposed to work for People 50 2T and Like 50, and it doesn't work for my People.  If someone knows different, make a post with the details.  I am keeping it for awhile, I saw a post that it may fit Super 9 AC/ LC?, but haven't cracked the transmission on Super 9 yet, so don't know.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2016, 10:10:36 PM »
I think if it dosrnt work for people then you may have same as Super 9 I have heard if you're Super 9 AC you can put super 9 LX for more maybe try thst?
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »
I'm in need of inspecting my transmission soon,  I'll post pics up,  probably to the other forum since it's easier to upload to there.  Got some interesting vibration I'm trying to track down.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2016, 03:43:18 PM »
good....good...good.......good vibrations......oh wait maybe not.....
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2016, 05:50:54 AM »
Hey Chaz you still alive bro? give us an update. . . .
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

An Error Has Occurred!