Author Topic: No Respect... Just no respect for scooters.  (Read 3164 times)

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
No Respect... Just no respect for scooters.
« on: October 01, 2015, 08:12:25 PM »
Checking in at the "ProShop" going to play a few holes of golf. Two guys I know are in there when I walk through the door. One short round guy that is usually pretty nice to chat with (lousy golfer) and another fellow, quiet reserved (former School System official from Ohio). The short guy waiting for his receipt asks if I am still sick over selling the Harley. He is grinning so this is the "I am going to try and make you feel bad or stupid" game...

I respond with I wasn't sick when I sold it. I explained: I had decided not to do any more highway riding. Long hauls into urban congestion were no longer fun for me. Just tired of the weight of the bike. The maintenance costs were a rip, etc. etc.

He pokes back with, "Well why the **** would you get a scooter then" He's laughing, as he continues, "For Christ sakes, you can't even get out of anybody's way on that thing..." and he just continues.

I was going to tell him to go @#%& himself, but I just smiled and said "The ride is good. It's faster than you think. Handling 360 pounds is a lot more fun that trying to manage 760 pounds"

Stereotypical view of the scooters (all the same, all slow, in everyone's way)...

Shame really. The same ass asked me about a year ago about how hard is it to get your motorcycle license (he wanted to get a used Harley). I explained the Florida process to him. He never did anything about it. Funny thing he is short, bad hips and knees and grossly overweight: the Harley would be heck for him to deal with and a midsize scooter would be perfect...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: No Respect... Just no respect for scooters.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 10:55:43 PM »
Well,

While speaking to a Vespa dealer last year, he mentioned that they no longer stock any 50cc scooters, "Too slow for Ohio."
His motorcycle shop is located on a 50mph county road.
I'm thinking, "Yep, you'd get killed just taking a test ride."
I have only seen what might be two 50cc scooters in recent years around here....so, the image of scooters holding up traffic is not an issue in rural Ohio.
However, I texted my wife this morning, (after arriving at work):
"Spotted that Maserati again this morning. He followed me for a couple of miles. At the light by the police station [one way, multi lanes] he pulled up beside me. I looked over and gave him a toot from my Burgman and a "thumbs up !" for his pretty Maser. He looked back, waved a hello, pointed at my scoot and gave me a "thumbs up!" Pretty darn cool! 5:30 am in the dark...conversing with a Maserati."
He was probably a heart or brain surgeon. I've seen his Maserati's neighborhood; and we were half a mile from the new hospital. Don't know much about Maseratis. His has thin tail lights and a fat chrome tail pipe on each side. Burgundy color. Wonderful noise...
I gave the scoot a squirt (just to keep from glazing the clutch! :)...and he gave the Maser a squirt -- so I know, now,  what his tail lights look like~!

Some of the nicest guys - and best golfers - I've ever met were blue collar groups on public golf courses.
And just the other kinds I've met on private courses. (years ago, before I became a sun-rise scooterer - I was a sun-rise golfer. Got me home while the kids were still in their jammies. The guys mowing the greens would pull aside and wave me on. That early. Same thinking now - plus traffic is safer.
Have had children in the house since Feb.12, 1972. $1,755,008 in rice cereal, pull-ups and training bras, but I'm not complaining. Kids are the best things.)
Stig
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 11:07:53 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 11:21:51 PM »
Generally telling people that I get 70 mpg, can do 70 - 90 mph, have cheaper insurance, and have a small footlocker under the seat they either go "what? Holy sh--", or "No way!"

I tend to win the conversation after that.

- Wolf

X File

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 12:07:50 AM »
I tend to think I earn respect when its 35-40degrees in the morning at times of the year and I am the only 2wheel bike on the road. I still have fun riding my scoot despite that.
I see a few scoots here and there. Yeah they are slow to a superbike and big motor Harleys but a hoot to drive all over the city. I don't really care. I just wait for the Harley riders to die from no helmets and superbike boys to get skin grafts from just a helmet on with shorts,shirt.

Lol most Harley riders fit in my categories I see. Fat, old, bald. Most of them nail all three at once.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:50:44 AM by X File »

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:08:40 AM »
When I was riding I rode no matter what the temp. was. A good ride can be better when everyone is sitting home cause it's too cold to go out.

To the point of the 50cc scoots, I see many of them, mostly as delivery types around the city I commute through. They hit 30-35 and can get into small spots and nucks that a larger bike can't.

To the point of the fat round guy poking fun, it just goes to show you his small mind. As my 4th grade teacher used to say, empty barrels make the most noise.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
when people
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 01:18:00 AM »
inquire and ask questions about my scooter, I usually take the time to tell them about it.
When they hear how well it runs, they usually say REALLY, are you SERIOUS.
And I say serious as a heart attack. I don`t exaggerate and can back up my words.
People that don`t know, don`t know. They are uninformed.
Personally i`m having a blast on my GT, and don`t give a rats ass what they think.

This is the gospel truth.
If someone was offering me either a new Harley or a new Kymco GTI300, and said you have to ride your choice from now on and cannot sell the bike you choose, I would choose the Kymco GT without a second thought.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:48:13 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 01:58:22 PM »
Most of the people I ride with ride motorcycles.  Perhaps they looked down on scooters in the past but not any more.  Many of them can't keep up with me when the roads turn twisty on my 250 or 400cc scooter even thought they ride 1000cc or bigger  motorcycles.  We have a few other scooter riders around as well.  One rides a little 173cc Sym and still keeps up with the big bikes.

I have yet to see lack of respect for my scooters even from riders I don't know.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
I agree with you, Klaviator, and Boo, I'm with you. Over all it's been my experience that scooter riders are better 2 wheel ambassadors than some (but not all) of our tank hugging counter parts.

A couple years ago when I had my Yager a guy came up to me when I was locking up my scooter after commuting into town. He looked it over, had a vexed look on his face and began to tell me in very condescending terms that the most important thing on a motorcycle was speed. Nothing else mattered. Since he was walking I wished him luck on catching up to his bike.

- Wolf

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 09:59:01 PM »
Flyfisher are notorious for thinking you only the most expensive equipment catches fish. I can't tell you the number of rod snobs I see on streams that can't cast. They cast like its a spinning outfit. Yet they look down their noses at fellow fly anglers who don't use the latest and greatest equipment. To those people I just chuckle and move on. Same with snob PTW owners. I just ignore their stupidity

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 10:50:53 PM »
About 6 weeks ago I went for a ride with a local riding club I had not ridden with before.  7 out of 10 bikes were Harleys and My wife and I were the only ones on a scooter.  No one gave us a hard time about riding a scooter.  However, these guys were serious riders.  My experience is real riders don't normally care what kind of bike you ride.  The fact that you do ride is what's important. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »
Scooters are Officially cool now! Love scooters after the last 2 years, they're not your momma's scoots. These scoots nowadays are tech marvels and low tech. Perfect city rides.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
about three years ago
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 03:47:11 PM »
when I purchased my GT, there were not many scoots on the road in my area.
Now, it seems they are everywhere.
My observation is that motor scooters are gaining in popularity.
I mostly see Burgies.
It appears the general public is slowly becoming informed about motor scooters and their enhanced performance.
Scooters today are dependable, fast, affordable, and handle well.
For people that love to ride, this is great.
Even my wife rides a scooter, and some of her female co workers do as well.
I have always loved scooters and always will.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:50:57 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 05:10:43 PM »
I'm lucky I live in Scooterville, they are everywhere so respect never been a big deal.
Of course I've never had a problem at bike week either.

Then again I tend to ignore the other humans if they are spewing sh**. I'm not out to be the scooter "Johnny Appleseed" , I ride what I ride but not in the business spreading the word, I just ride.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »
About 6 weeks ago I went for a ride with a local riding club I had not ridden with before.  7 out of 10 bikes were Harleys and My wife and I were the only ones on a scooter.  No onlooe gave us a hard time about riding a scooter.  However, these guys were serious riders.  My experience is real riders don't normally care what kind of bike you ride.  The fact that you do ride is what's important. 

You have the best looking bike there!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Driller

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
The group I ride with were somewhat vexed with me as I never rode a cruiser style bike. The only thing that got their attention more than the Dual Sports I usually showed up on was my Majesty. First group ride on it to Deals Gap earned their respect. While making the final assimilation to "twist and go" I had a year with a Vulcan 800. They thought I was won over, but it just didn't ring my bell. Scoots all the way since!
At 69, the scoots will hopefully keep the 2 wheel fun going a bit longer.
A "new to me" MR2 may be the vehicle that keeps the wind in my face when two wheling no longer works.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()