Author Topic: Tailblazer pulsing brake lights  (Read 4955 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Tailblazer pulsing brake lights
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:50:56 AM »
Since I commute to work in the dark 365 I like to have something extra happening on the rear of my scooter.
On the LIKE200i I installed a lighted Bestem top case.
Not wanting a case on my Burgman, I looked at adding LED lights on the rear.
A light bar, or something tucked under the rear spoiler, or added around the license plate??
Then I happened upon a Burgman forum post in which the OP spoke of using Tailblazer bulbs. An easy installation...last a long time, are bright....can be moved from bike to bike. A little pricey.....but looked idiotproof.....just my thing.
I went with the halogen Tailblazer bulbs (reports were disappointing about the LED version). The Burgman is crazy easy to get at the bulbs, so the installation was simple.
I like them. Bright, they pulse a few times as I apply the brakes.....and haven't altered the looks or messed with the wiring.
They came with extra bulbs.....and reports are that I won't need the spares for a very long time, if ever.
I can recommend these bulbs if you're looking for a little extra protection from following cars.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:54:06 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Tailblazer pulsing brake lights
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »
What, no pictures?! 😮
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:53:03 PM »
It wasn't a DIY....the Burgman folks are way ahead of me on this kind of thing.
And I never can see any difference in tail light photos (some can see a difference) - and don't know how to put a video on here of the bulbs blinking, which is where the interest is.
Don't think any Kymco folks are interested in how easy the back end of a Burgman comes apart. (no screws, bolts or panel pins - just pop the panels off ! Oil & filter changes are easy and brake fluid reservoirs are in the open - but shame on Suzuki for hiding the gear oil drain.)
Maybe the new lights do change the look of my Burgman...but I can't see it.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 12:53:44 PM »
No link or pics? He's slippin I tell ya, must be getting old................I'm interested in those bulbs, LINK PLEASE!

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
hey Stig
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:06:36 PM »
I was in a neighboring town about 4 months ago. I had stopped for a red light at a very large intersection.
Across from me at about 20 yards a guy had stopped for the light also. He was facing me.
He had some kind of strobing lights on the front of his bicycle. Man those lights got every ones attention. They were really bright.
Wish I knew what they were.
Those things would have to be a great safety feature for low light or night riding.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 06:55:02 PM »
No link or pics? He's slippin I tell ya, must be getting old................I'm interested in those bulbs, LINK PLEASE!
Here is KISANTECH LINK and their $109.95 price

http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/pfin/20w-d2pak.html

OR

Shinhopples
Motorcycle- ATV- Snowmobile - Tires- Parts- Accessories  Their Price $84.94

http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=735&categoryId=65

Ride Safe,

Doc
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:30:56 PM by Doc Wheezer »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:23:21 PM »
What, no pictures?! 😮
Blink several times to seem them modulate.

Fronts too, keep blinking!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Doc Wheezer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 01:33:46 AM »
Hello Stig,
Those are old pictures of your Burgman 400.  You have a nice passenger backrest on it now. 
 Those early summer rides for coffee look relaxing.  I enjoy the pictures, even the old ones.

Ride Safe,

Doc

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »
Hello Stig,
Those are old pictures of your Burgman 400.  You have a nice passenger backrest on it now. 
 Those early summer rides for coffee look relaxing.  I enjoy the pictures, even the old ones.

Ride Safe,

Doc
Well, yes & no.
Removed the back rest until I get more seat time with this scoot. Shooting for next spring to be more comfortable riding with my wife or daughter back there. I understand that scooters with underseat storage require the passenger to sit stupid high above the driver....but don't like it. Remember motorcycles with a nice long and flat bench seat for both of you? Sitting one behind the other, helmets level w/ea. other!....the way all bikes should be IMHO.

Removed the back rest since it obscures some % of the goofy English "POLITE" vest I'm wearing every day.
Also, glad I removed the back rest since I found one screw gone, and 2 more had loosened on the cover. Screws into clips - which cannot be tighted too much - or accept locktite. Will use a nut & washer on them next time.
The 4 bolts into the scoot are solid - heck to get back out!
Keen eyes, though....!
See today's pic...

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Doc Wheezer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »
The high passenger seating position is one of the reasons my wife doesn't like riding.  She said, 'It was too tippy sitting way up there.' and she hated corners.  When my dad passed away in 1976 I inherited his old 70 Honda 450.   I rode it a year before I sold it.  I liked the seat, but I was a lot younger then.

What's with the BRICK on the back of your bike?

Ride Safe

Doc

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 12:01:30 AM »

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 12:05:22 AM »
I see where it works as a tail light also. It states it flashes slowly regularly then increases when brakes are applied. I wonder how that would work. Also it's 4cm/dia x 5cm/depth in dimensions. I'll have to take my lens off to see if it'll fit. Any thoughts on this? The price is right.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:21:25 AM by 2wheelfun »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 12:42:30 AM »
The high passenger seating position is one of the reasons my wife doesn't like riding.  She said, 'It was too tippy sitting way up there.' and she hated corners.  When my dad passed away in 1976 I inherited his old 70 Honda 450.   I rode it a year before I sold it.  I liked the seat, but I was a lot younger then.

What's with the BRICK on the back of your bike?

Ride Safe

Doc
Ha, took me a minute on the brick...
Loved the Honda flat seats. Wife and I rode many miles on them.
A couple of us in medic training in TX bought Honda 350's.
One buddy bought the new 1968 CL version. We convinced him that it was a true off-road bike....The two of us who got into the medic training by being conscientious objectors (1A-O, therefore Pope-like) , placed out hands on our hearts and declared > "Look at those pipes - nearly a full race moto-cross Bultaco!" . He caved & the 4 of us entered it into a 24 hour enduro across the TX desert. We sprung for a spare tube and a spark plug in our pit-crew tool box. Spent much more on a cooler and refreshments.

At some point during the night, out there in the desert, the pipes started cracking and then sheared off near the cylinders. This was good, because we could now see the blue flames coming through the dark and could get the next rider ready....though you had to ride in a funny position to keep from flaming your Levis. We went through quite a few tube changes (spent our beer $ at the spares truck) , the chain guard snapped off, and one fender support broke. I think I still have a cactus thorn in my heel to this day from one of my off's in a dry stream bed (which was not on the course)
And we had a he-- of a good time, got a $2 trophy as the only finisher in our class....and pretty much destroyed a nice new Honda. Didn't matter - shortly - we were all booked for the games in sunny S.E. Asia, and sold our bikes. One guy had a Bridgestone. Really cheap looking bike. He was rightly ashamed of it....
Mine was a green and white CB350.....loved that bike! #1 selling bike in the world at that time.
PS: looked up the specs on this bike. Really short 52" wheelbase (my Burg is 62"), 345 lbs. @$700 new, seemed bigger at the time. CB's Brochure said 106mph, I saw 105 one night going to Austin and back in 1/2 hr...seemed like, but I might have been a touch suicidal w/my orders for 'Nam on the orderly rm bulletin bd..
Stig

« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:54:42 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 05:02:47 AM »
Hi, Stig.

I've got the Kisan Tech T50W TailBlazer brake light flasher installed, as well as this:
http://www.interstatecycle.com/oemcatalogs/p/all/aftermarket_street-electrical/51635d4e7841550e64e018d4/l-e-d-license-plate-carrier

That's wired in to the TailBlazer as well, so it flashes when the brake light flashes. It's clear acrylic with red LEDs embedded in it. I taped off the edges of the LED license plate carrier, and painted the inner parts of it with red paint. I was operating under the assumption that red reflects red light, so the red paint would reflect the red LED light outward toward the perimeter of the LED license plate carrier, making it appear brighter. It is pretty bright.

I'm 100% LED on this bike now. The brake light is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1157-High-Power-5630-Chip-Cree-LED-Red-Turn-Signal-Brake-Tail-Lights-Bulbs-/231028588922

It's so bright that you can see it reflecting off reflective signs a block away at night. That, combined with the TailBlazer really grabs the attention of vehicles approaching me at stop lights. I keep a close eye on my mirrors and flash the brake light when cars are approaching.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:22:51 AM by Yager200i »

Doc Wheezer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 04:19:14 PM »
Ebay 4 bucks 2 bits. Haven't tried these but for the price I'm going to.          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Motorcycle-Brake-Rear-Tail-19-LED-12V-Red-Round-Lamp-Warning-Flashing-Light-/261625030720?hash=item3cea112840&vxp=mtr

I see where it works as a tail light also. It states it flashes slowly regularly then increases when brakes are applied. I wonder how that would work. Also it's 4cm/dia x 5cm/depth in dimensions. I'll have to take my lens off to see if it'll fit. Any thoughts on this? The price is right.

I wonder about State Laws in regards to driving around with constantly flashing taillights?  I can understand them flashing when you're braking.  I don't know if I want them flashing 100% of the time. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()