Author Topic: Visability  (Read 1391 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Visability
« on: July 20, 2015, 12:14:09 PM »
I posted a link to this article in another section, but I thought it should go here as well.

http://www.motorcycle-mastery.com/visibility-on-a-motorcycle-z-motion-x-motion-and-why-cars-pull-out-in-front-of-us/

I'd love to hear anyone's tactics or advice on making yourself more visible on the road, at different times of day, and seasons.

-Wolf

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Visability
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »
I'm ATTATT rider. Bright HiVis yellow gear.

March 2014 I was TBoned by a SUV. I was on a yellow reverse trike the size of a small car.
She still hit me. First thing she said was "I didn't see you" no sh**.

You can dress up, light up , add flashing stuff and it can't hurt. But at the end of the day it's about keeping your head I the game and remembering the day may come that there's not jack you can do about keep smashed.

We look at Risk, reward and we hone our skills.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
AMAC,

Glad to hear you surveyed. Hope there aren't any lasting injuries. We live in an age of distracted drivers, and a lack of education about the awareness and approach to motorcycle and scooter riders on the road. The most we can do is manage the factors that can lead to a crash. Like you said, hone our skills. I like to think that I managed to lessen the injuries on my crash by turning in the opposite direction of the left turning vehicle that came into my lane back in May.

A lot of motorcycle safety sites, writers and authors suggest that braking is the way to approach that situation in order to reduce your speed before you hit a left turning vehicle. I have trouble with that advice because it assumes that you will hit the car, and not the other way around, as in your case. Reducing your speed doesn't help you if the car T-Bones you.

Since a lot of accidents happened because riders don't see us, it does come down to visibility, or getting noticed. I'm not a big believer in the Loud Pipes Save Lives idea. If think it causes more confusion.

Do Scooter and Motorcycle riders need flashing lights or something else?

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
AMAC,

Glad to hear you surveyed. Hope there aren't any lasting injuries. We live in an age of distracted drivers, and a lack of education about the awareness and approach to motorcycle and scooter riders on the road. The most we can do is manage the factors that can lead to a crash. Like you said, hone our skills. I like to think that I managed to lessen the injuries on my crash by turning in the opposite direction of the left turning vehicle that came into my lane back in May.

A lot of motorcycle safety sites, writers and authors suggest that braking is the way to approach that situation in order to reduce your speed before you hit a left turning vehicle. I have trouble with that advice because it assumes that you will hit the car, and not the other way around, as in your case. Reducing your speed doesn't help you if the car T-Bones you.

Since a lot of accidents happened because riders don't see us, it does come down to visibility, or getting noticed. I'm not a big believer in the Loud Pipes Save Lives idea. If think it causes more confusion.

Do Scooter and Motorcycle riders need flashing lights or something else?

I was lucky as I went into that crash with little to no feeling in my lower body due to a spinal cord injury years ago. See there's some perks to being a para, lol.

I also don't think loud means safe. I had just as many close calls on my Harley and it was beyond loud. Less speed and open eyes work well.

I'll say this. Had I not been in a armor jacket, pants , boots and gloves I would have lost a ton of skin. Only road rash was where I didn't bother to zip the jacket to my pants. The helmet was toast. A person with normal lower body sensation would have hurt for months. I could see the swelling and bruising but felt little.

So visibility is great but if it hits the fan a HiVis jersey or tee won't get it done.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:31:12 PM »
That sounds like serendipitous luck.

I woke up in the hospital to real no pain from my crash, despite my top right front tooth being snapped in half and going through my top lip. I had 4 fractured ribs, but they were under my collarbone and not on my sides, allowing me to sleep at night.

Armor is good. Where's Tony Stark when we need him?

-Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()