Author Topic: Avon Viper AM/63  (Read 2126 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Avon Viper AM/63
« on: December 03, 2009, 12:39:47 AM »
I just installed an Avon Viper AM/63 (130-70/12) on my '04 zx super fever. What a world of difference! The OEM Chen Shin is a 120-60/12. I had installed A Kenda 130-70/12, and was fairly happy w/ that. Brand new the kenda had an out of round problem that showed up around 40mph. It seemed to lessen over a few hundred miles. last week the kenda started to split down the center. Within 4-5 hundred miles it was self destructing. I read all I could find on scooter tires, and decided to purchase the Avon am63. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!!! First off you have to loosen the rear brake all the way and second the tire MUST be installed w/ NO air. This is the only way to get the set-up to reinstall. Once it was on the scoot it takes 40psi cold. Both the Chen Shin and, the Kenda ran at 28psi cold. What an amazing difference. The scoot handles like a different machine! Anyone running a zx and, wants to try a MUCH better tire... THIS IS IT!!!  Ps. The Kenda locally cost me $49.99 plus tax. NO RETURNS. The Avon was 38.95 from Bike Bandit.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Avon Viper AM/63
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:09:44 AM »
Great tip on the tire!  I will look into those when I get around to doing my tires, probably soon, the back one's about done!  What tire/size are you running on the front?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »
I am still using the kenda I bought w/ the rear. It is a 120-70/12. You can slip maybe 2 credit cards between the tire, and fender. The taller rear does affect the geometry of the frame. The attack angle is approx. 1-2 degrees steeper. MUCH quicker in, and out of turns. More of a "sport bike" feel... The Kenda on the front has also developed a bounce around 45-50mph. With the frame only having a down tube, and no brace I do intend to replace the front w/ an Avon as well. Also to give a Fair comparison the Kenda is a model K-413. Their top of the line speed rated tire. I also just noticed the Kenda is a 2 ply sidewall, where the Avon is 4 ply (kenda speed rated @ 73-Avon rated @ 93) I believe the extra 12psi is what really makes the tire perform better. Just feels like a different scoot.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:08:26 AM »
I found those Avon's at Motorcycle Superstore for $35.99 rear, $34.99 front, $4 shy of free shipping! :(  The Pirelli's I was looking at cost a little more, but free shipping!  They also claim H-rating of 130mph on the Avons, I wish! ;)  The only drawback from reading others reviews is tread life.  I'll look into it a bit more when I'm closer to dropping the coin.

Did you have your tires mounted, or did you do it yourself?  Just curious how difficult they are to do yourself, I've got big tire levers at work!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:19:15 AM by Shaka »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 03:50:21 PM »
For the extra $4.00 order a set of bolt on valve stems. They will face straight up so you will need an angled adapter to fill them. (no biggie). The reviews I saw on Pirelli had said _their tread life was poor. Avg. 1000 miles. I thought I was going to get them myself until I saw the same review on almost every site rating them. Who knows? Mounting the tires was pretty easy. I used 2 wooden wedges kinda like old school door stops. The key was to get the bead to the center of the rim on the opposite side, and use dish soap to lube it. Took me about 3-4 minutes to dismount, and 4-5 to mount. Easy Breasy. Tire levers would be great if I had a set. I would maybe wrap some duct tape on them to prevent chipping the powdercoat on the rims. When you go to install the rear, DONT set the bead yet. You will need the free play to get the tire past the engine casing. It is TIGHT going on but will go. Once the rim is installed you can set the bead, and fill  it. It's the best 40 bucks I've spent on the scoot!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:32:20 PM »
Cool!  I've got some big metal motorcycle tire levers at the shop for mounting downhill mtb tires, I think they will do the trick!  I usually wrap the end with electrical tape to prevent scratching the rim.  I checked my tire pressure today and the rear was very low!  I pumped it back up and am nearly back up to 50mph again!  The scoot was running really well today, it was a bit colder!  Anyways, glad to hear the tires are too bad to install!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:09:53 AM »
It still amazes me how the tiniest things affect these scoots. A few pounds of tire pressure = a few mph!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()