Author Topic: Speedometer cable and brake test question  (Read 1607 times)

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
Speedometer cable and brake test question
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:25:44 PM »
My speedometer and odometer both work, but I noticed recently that the connection between the cable and where it goes into a round silver ribbed nut (for lack of a better term) is greasy and loose.  I cleaned it off, tightened it as best I could, but after the next ride it was the same thing.  I only first noticed this after my recent spill, so I don't know if it was like that before.  There is no grease on the floor below the scoot.  What is up with this?

Also about the rear brakes, I saw in the manual about testing the rear brake, and from the poor description and photograph, I see that there is a little pointer and a marking on what I guess are the guts of the rear brake.  It says about the two lining up.  Is that when the scoot has the brake handle squeezed in or left loose?  Also, it seems that my perception of if the marks are lined up or not would change from if I'm kneeling down and looking at it from the rear or if I'm on the floor looking up at it.  Can someone fill me in on how to check the rear brake correctly?  Also, from the level the front brake fluid shows, it's in good shape. Can I assume the rear brake is okay too?  Do they wear out at different rates?
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Speedometer cable and brake test question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:20:58 AM »
My speedometer and odometer both work, but I noticed recently that the connection between the cable and where it goes into a round silver ribbed nut (for lack of a better term) is greasy and loose.  I cleaned it off, tightened it as best I could, but after the next ride it was the same thing.  I only first noticed this after my recent spill, so I don't know if it was like that before.  There is no grease on the floor below the scoot.  What is up with this?

Also about the rear brakes, I saw in the manual about testing the rear brake, and from the poor description and photograph, I see that there is a little pointer and a marking on what I guess are the guts of the rear brake.  It says about the two lining up.  Is that when the scoot has the brake handle squeezed in or left loose?  Also, it seems that my perception of if the marks are lined up or not would change from if I'm kneeling down and looking at it from the rear or if I'm on the floor looking up at it.  Can someone fill me in on how to check the rear brake correctly?  Also, from the level the front brake fluid shows, it's in good shape. Can I assume the rear brake is okay too?  Do they wear out at different rates?

I'm not too sure about the speedometer cable, maybe too much grease in the drive assembly? I wouldn't worry about that too much, just clean it again and see if it comes back. I don't ever use those brake shoe guides, just look at the adjuster and if it's screwed way in then the shoes are done. The rear drum brakes tend to last at least 2x as long as the front disc brake pads. You'll want to physically look at the pad thickness, not base it totally off fluid level.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
"look at the adjuster and if it's screwed way in then the shoes are done."

So should I be okay with the way things look now, and only start thinking of new rear brakes by the time the screw gets down to where the arrow is?
Scooter is stock

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:53:20 PM »
"You'll want to physically look at the pad thickness, not base it totally off fluid level."
[/quote]

And looking at these front brake pads, are the little dents the arrows are pointing to the indicators that show there is still room for more wear on these pads?
Scooter is stock

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
Year adjuster looks fine, you can go,ugh further than that before the shoes are worn out. Your second picture is pointing towards the brake pad material, the black stuff about 1/4" left. When that gets thin it's time to switch.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »
Thanks, B&L!
Scooter is stock

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()