Author Topic: valve stem replacement/extension.  (Read 1449 times)

rick71

• View Profile
valve stem replacement/extension.
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:56:06 PM »
I apologize if this has already been hashed over.

Does anyone have a suggestion replacing the stock valve stems or an extension? It is nearly impossible for me to get an inflation valve on the stock valve stems.

Any and all info appreciated.
Rick

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: valve stem replacement/extension.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 02:45:26 PM »
I bought an extension that is used for trucks with dual or what is called dually wheels. This, about 1 foot long extension screws on to the stem, and it gives you plenty of length to easily ad air to the tire. Found them at pep boys. A normal car extension really does not work well on/for the X500.  :-*

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
Thanks, Sissy Mary. We don't have Pep Boys here, but I'll take a loot in the auto stores.

For others...
Has anyone installed 90 degree metal valve stems?

Might the wheels have to be balanced to use them?
Rick

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 05:15:38 PM »
I was told by a shop tech that the 90 degree valve stems is a bad idea because of wheel rotation at high speeds, break it off and you have a flat.
I use a short pressure gauge that works ok.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »
I was told by a shop tech that the 90 degree valve stems is a bad idea because of wheel rotation at high speeds, break it off and you have a flat.
I use a short pressure gauge that works ok.

I am not sure how they would break off. I don't think they would protrude past the discs.
Rick

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:57:12 PM »
90 degree valve stems should work just fine, they come in bikes from the factory. I don't think the wheel produces enough centrifugal force to break the valve stem off, even going 100mph
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:27:21 AM »
I bought an extension that is used for trucks with dual or what is called dually wheels. This, about 1 foot long extension screws on to the stem, and it gives you plenty of length to easily ad air to the tire. Found them at pep boys. A normal car extension really does not work well on/for the X500.  :-*

I got the extension, but getting it onto the front valve is still hard. I think a local parts store has screw on 90 degre extensions. I'm going to try using that with the 1 foot extension. Hopefully I can just connect the one foot extension to the 90 degree and use that when needed, but not leave it permanently installed.

With increasing problem with my knee and my growing belly, keeping the tires inflated is discouraging me from ridging. Hopefully this will will fix it. :-)
Rick

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:17:07 AM »

I took the wheel off and let the air out sqweezed the tire and put a new 90 degree stem in, works perfect Im 82 years old and it was easy,

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()