Author Topic: Help ?? Bike cuts out and lacks power at times  (Read 3435 times)

Adam89uk

• View Profile
Help ?? Bike cuts out and lacks power at times
« on: April 11, 2015, 10:46:11 PM »
Hi guys looking for some advice with the super 9 I've jus just purchased. Firstly I'm note sure if it's air cooled or liquid cooled... It's a 56 plate ... When I start the bike up and let go of  the rear brake leaver it cuts out it won't idle on its own... Secondly when flat out on full throttle the power dies and then comes back intermitanly then at times it clears and just carries on as normal... Am told the bikes derestricted ... The bike has stock carb and stock exhaust too. Any ideas on the problem ?? :)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Help ?? Bike cuts out and lacks power at times
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »
Liquid cooled will look like this. That's the water pump.  If it's something like this then it's air cooled.  Also might have a tag for liquid cooled like this
If it's restricted,  the cutting out at wide open may be a rev limit cdi.  There are many places you can search in this forum on the many possible restrictions and ways to derestrict it.  Hell,  just reading through some of the previous threads in this Super Nine section will be very informative,  in my opinion! 
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »
Honestly,  a good carb cleaning never hurts!

Adam89uk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanks guys will have a look and check which one my bike is ... Just want to sort these few annoying little things so it runs spot on ... Defo need to upgrade the exhaust and that so it will hopefully hit 45-50mph a will be happy with that so a can keep up with traffic need to replace the speedo cable 1st to check what speed it reaches  :-)

Adam89uk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »
What would cause it to cut out when a let go of the break ?

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
do a kickstart and see what happens
ALL STOCK

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »
So you're saying it idles fine until you release the rear brake?  Does it do the same with the front brake?  When you let off the brake will it stay running by using the throttle? 
Just narrowing things down.

Adam89uk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:06 PM »
Soon as a let go of the back brake it just dies... If a let go of the brake and catch it with the throttle before it cuts out and let off the revs it will idle for a second or two ... Took air box off today and sprayed carb cleaner into the carb and cleaned the plug and the bike runs slightly better.. Did notice tho that it's blowing 2stroke and petrol back into the air box , the air filter is wet at the bottom with oil is this common ? Is it common for the bike to want to die when the lights are on dipped beam too ? Think I've bought a shed of a bike lol it's got loads of small daft lil things that need fixing and
It's becoming annoying as a want the bike to be reliable... Almost didn't make it home from work this morning it wouldn't ride just kept coughing and spluttering which in Monday morning rush hour traffic is dangerous lol anyways sorry for ranting just need help as 2 stokes ain't my strong point

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
If you just bought it I'd highly suggest cleaning the jets completely.  That doesn't solve the dying after releasing the brake,  that's new to me.  The clutch isn't engaged at idle,  is it?  Back tire doesn't try to spin constantly?
A lot of back flowing fuel could be a rich mix at idle.
Remove the carb,  float bowl,  and jets.  Clean them using a very small wire and your carb cleaner.  Reassemble.  Check you fuel mix screw.  Screw it all the way in, make note of how many turns in,  just in case.  Also,  know the difference between the idle screw and the mix screw.  After going in all the way on the mix screw,  back it out  1.5 turns.  That's a good start for a stock set up.  It will take a few times turning it over to get fuel back into the bowl,  unless you prime it first,  I'm gross and do it by mouth.  After getting it started and staying idling is when you can really tune the mix screw. 
How did your plug look?  It never hurts to get a new one, or three . Br8hsa ngk is what it takes. 
Another check,  before all that would be your vacuum line from the petcock.  Might as well.  I'm really just rattling off everything I would check. 
The Super Nine is a fantastic bike,  second to none in my opinion.  But when you come across a neglected one they can be a pain,  just like any scoot.  Someone just posted their twelve year evaluation of one,  the least amount of issues I've ever heard.  I ride mine daily,  rarely an issue. But I have went through a lot of learning about two strokes for it. 

Adam89uk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
Thanks for advice much appreciated am going to ring the bike shop  near me and enquire how much to clean out the carb and take it from there ...guess when you buy a £300 bike your gona have the odd problem 8)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »
Yes, I got mine cheap too, wasn't running.  Have had all the plastic off it, cleaned the carb, had to soak carb for days before I could remove the main jet was so crusted with deposits/ corrosion.  Still have issues with auto bystarter and/ or auto petcock, but scooter runs well once I get it started.  I am very pleased with it, but has been frustrating at times, so hang in there.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »
The only other time I've seen a bike run with the brake pulled, then die without is the main ground was loose. I would replace the CDI, the bike would run GREAT then start acting up again EVERY TIME. Tried 3 CDI's and it did the same exact thing every time. Finally got sick of repeating myself tore the plastics off and discovered the main ground (one 10mm bolt holding a pack of green wires to the frame) was finger tight. My guess was that the only way the bike (CDI) could get power was to go through the brake circuit when the lever was pulled. Not totally sure where the main ground is on the Super 9 but follow your battery - and you should find it connected to frame ground somewhere.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 05:36:47 PM »
Totally makes sense.  I dread electrical issues..  And removing too much plastic.  Seems that no good ever comes of it,  for me at least.  That could explain the headlight issue as well.  Mine only has one setting,  so that is blind territory for me.
300€ seems like a decent price,  I paid double and have put in at least half as much.  Mine probably looks worse also. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()