Author Topic: 10 Cent Brake Fix!  (Read 2119 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
10 Cent Brake Fix!
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »
The front brake on my Vento project was in pretty bad shape!  The viewing window was cracked and leaking, and the whole system was full of sludge!  I took everything apart and cleaned it all thoroughly.  I came up with a fix for the viewing window which seems to be working nicely!  I haven't had a chance to try it out on the bike, but it has held for a few weeks now, and holds pressure when I pump it.  I just popped out the broken window, which has a compression ring around the front and an o-ring in the back and sandwiched a dime between.  I don't need to see how much fluid is in there, if I do I can take the cap off! ;D  I may do this to my ZX50 in the future if it works out.  Those windows are plastic and the brake fluid breaks it down over time.  Seems like they would have used glass! ???
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:28:54 PM by Shaka »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Cent Brake Fix!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:25:15 PM »
...mister can you loan me a dime??

..MASS IRIDIUM!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:39:55 PM »
I'll bet a new window would run you 6-7 bucks! If it sold separately...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:42:58 PM »
I think it was a buck or 2 at the most from Vento!  They take 4-6 weeks to ship though!  I didn't look around too hard for one elsewhere.  Just found a dime fit perfect!

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
Thats so funny. It fits like a glove... that fits really good.
You proberly put it in from the outside right ?

I dont wont to say your fix issent good but i want you to know this...

If you ride and need to brake... which you do need once in a while just for the hell of it.
Well if you brake th..... oh wait a f***ing minut it dossent matter.
I was thinking that the coin would pop out when you was braking hard and the pressure whole pop out that coin and your braking would fail and you would die and people would get realy mad course they have to wait for the ambulance to remove your dead body so they could keep on driving.

Well this nightmare dossent seen to be a problem because the top part of the brakefluid issent pressurised as far as i know.

So good fix.... and who the f*** makes a "glas" of plastik when it says in the manual that you shudent get brakefluid on paint and plastic parts couse it will rouing it...

Anyway nice job on the fix. Its nice to do a good job cheap all by ones self.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
I did put it from the outside.  It has a lip/shelf on the inside, which the dime compresses an o-ring against, then a metal collar is pressed in to hold everything in place.  It is held in the same way as the plastic window, the window had just disintegrated, so I used a dime as a replacement.  The top part is not pressurized, at least not the same way as the master cylinder/caliper system.  If it leaks, I will still have brakes!  I wouldn't want to risk "rigging" something that is part of the pressurized system!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 12:42:33 AM »
I LOVE scootergrisen!!~!~ Who does want to pick up the PIECES!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()