Author Topic: Help, trying to change oil  (Read 3959 times)

ddarkone7

• View Profile
Help, trying to change oil
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:20:46 AM »
Hi, i just drained the oil and accidentally drained some of my tranny fluid i think. I was looking for the oil filter and screen screw, but unscrewed the large bolt underneath on the right hand side and it released red fluid, was that my gear oil. Cause if so I need to replace the fluid that came gushing out by accident. I need to know which fluids came out and from where so I can replace, this was my first time trying. I kept looking at the picture on the manual from online, and still hit the wrong screw. what's the big screw that's underneath the crankcase on the right hand side, red fluid came out of that one, and I guess oil came out from the other side that took at 17mm wrench to loosen
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:27:27 AM by ddarkone7 »
Big Texas

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: Help, trying to change oil
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:50:13 AM »
I'm used to gear oil being the same color as engine oil, ranging from yellow to black (depending on how old it is).

Do you have a People 250 or People S 250?

The gear oil drain bolt is on the left side of the People 250, facing the side not on the bottom. If you face the transmission, on the bottom right corner is two bolts, one above and below the word "OIL". Those are your gear oil check and drain bolts.

The main oil drain bolt is more on the bottom left of the transmission, very close to the left centerstand bolt.

The oil bolt with the screen is on the right side of the bottom of the scooter, facing the bottom, very close to the right centerstand bolt.

Looking at the coolant window, what color is it?

ddarkone7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:11:16 AM »
dang so I think i drained the gear oil, let me take pics of the 2 bolts I unscrewed, and thanks for the response
Big Texas

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:15:05 AM »
Did the large bolt on the RH crank case have a mesh screen in it? Sounds like you found the oil screen, this is the only filter on the bike. And chances are they used Motul Oil, it's red in color. The gear oil drain and fill are both on the left hand side at the very back of the scooter under the rear of the transmission case. Be VERY careful to get that large bolt on the bottom of the engine in straight and DONT OVER TIGHTEN!!!! It's very easy to break and a PITA to fix if you do.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:24:28 AM »
I've made that mistake! When I first did oil changes on my previous scooter, I was concerned about a bolt being able to hold in fluid, so I made sure it was extra tight and tore apart the aluminum. Thankfully, there was a clean hole left to patch up with JB weld (and drill out every 4000 miles).

ddarkone7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:27:47 AM »
dang so i drained the engine oil which is what i intended but not the gear oil, the large bolt underneath released red fluid, so that's the oil, heck according to the manual, oh well the manual pics where wrong then I guess, trying to figure out how to shrink image to upload
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:33:04 AM by ddarkone7 »
Big Texas

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 01:34:27 AM »
The pictures in the manual are typically of the People 250, so it could be that the People S 250 is a bit different. In which case what I said may or may not apply as well.

If a screen and a spring came out, that's a sure sign you got the right bolt though.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 01:35:27 AM »
The picture appears to be the main oil drain bolt (without the screen).

ddarkone7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 01:37:46 AM »
which one is this
Big Texas

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 01:38:21 AM »
That looks like the second oil drain bolt with the screen.

ddarkone7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 01:39:19 AM »
thanks i did not see a spring and screen that's what i was looking for, but when I loosened the wrong bolt I immediately put it back on without looking for a screen cause I was losing too much fluid
Big Texas

ddarkone7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 01:40:10 AM »
so there's 2 oil drains, one drained black fluid, and the other red
Big Texas

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 01:42:35 AM »
More oil will come out when you take out the second bolt. It the same oil, coming from the same place though.

ddarkone7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 02:01:05 AM »
so if it's the same oil, why is it 2 different colors
Big Texas

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 02:05:17 AM »
Yeah you got the screen. How many miles are on your bike? The break in oil is red, don't know why the screen would be that much fresher though, that's strange. Take it off and make 100% sure there's a screen and spring, the screen "sits" on the spring then those sit on the cap bolt. Ps the P250, S250, grand Vista, and bet&win 250 are all 100% the same to work on. There are very few parts that vary. When installing the cap bolt, put grease or fresh oil on the o-ring and just snug it down, the spring pressure holds it in nice. I've seen many broken, not once have i seen one fall out.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()