Author Topic: Vintage/Retro VS. Modern Scooters. Which one do you prefer?  (Read 2401 times)

kingkymco125

• View Profile
Vintage/Retro VS. Modern Scooters. Which one do you prefer?
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »
I do not know if this question has been discussed before, but I bring this topic up because of being at the annual Las Vegas HighRollers Weekend Scooter rally. The people who attend the rally really love their vintage Vespas, Lambrettas, and Stellas. These bikes are all manual transmissions instead of the twist and go automatic bikes. One guy I met told I should consider buying a vintage scooter. He said they are not that expensive as one can be brought for about 3grand or less. They will last forever because the engines are meant to be rebuilt. The guy told me he would consider keeping the Kymco since they are good bikes. For me I see those who attend the rally with their vintage bikes are being very snoody and snobbish because of what they own.

I love my modern Kymco Agility 125. She runs like a champ and I have had very few problems with her. For me it is about the riding experience. I do not care what I ride. Even some of the current Vespas are automatic and not manual transmissions. I know the current Kymcos can last forever too as long as they are maintained which many are. This is just my opinion on this. Feel free to share your thoughts on this.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

TheSecretary

• View Profile
Re: Vintage/Retro VS. Modern Scooters. Which one do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
It's kind of a toss up with different people I have met who drive the vintage scooters.
Some have been a delight to talk to and some I wish I could punch and knock them off their high horse.

I find the difficult scooterists to be as snobby as motorcycle self proclaimed Purists. (aka: Harley Riders)

It's not about what model or type you use.

It's all about the love to ride.

And that's all one should care about.  :)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »
I prefer modern.
I still remember the times where a 1000km service interval was standard. Not much to do (no valve clearance check on a 2 stroke etc.), but very frequently.
20 years before, a 3000km service interval was already great. An exhaust Made in Italy keeped in shape about 3000km too.
Nowadays I consider nothing with <10000km as adequate. Sorry Kymco, but your 500 & 700cc maintenance is more expensive than comparable BMW or Honda scooters.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:52:12 PM »
I would ride a vintage again. I had a batavus at one time and loved it.But what I know now about scoots  a good healthy 4 stroke is for me. I miss my agilty 50 if had the chance to get another I would,But right now I have to ride what my wallet lets me.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »
I like them all.
There's an ass for every seat and a click for every ride.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I like
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:10:51 PM »
the looks of some retro scooters. Prefer modern scooters to ride.

I despise retro motor cycles.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 02:09:51 AM »
The one thing I love about the vintage scooters is the unique smell they have when they ride. I missed the first night ride by about 15 minutes. I knew they were heading down to the world famous Vegas sign. As I was traveling the route I was able to smell the vintage bikes. I was able to catch up to them within ten minutes after they left. At some I might consider owning a vintage bike. The only question I have is whether the other Vegas Scooter Club would accept me as one of their members.? I know they are more about fixing up and drinking than about actually doing rides which is fine with me. Sometimes I feel I like I do not even fit in with these vintage folks. This is fine with me. I prefer my modern scoot over the vintage scoots.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:03:56 AM »
If it means I spend less time wrenching and more time in the saddle, give me the modern bike every time.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 05:42:21 AM »
Vintage bikes are really fun to ride, you can make the Vespa 2t engine VERY fast. I've seen land speed videos of Lambtetta and they were going over 120mph. As a daily diver they work really well if your someone who maintains their own ride. If you have to pay to get it fixed it can be a headache to find a good vintage vespa mechanic. They have cable operated controls, clutch, TWO shifter cables, brake cables and they do break and you're stewed if you can't put them in on the side of the road. I'll +2 the smell, i love group rides with a bunch of premix bikes!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 04:28:32 PM »
Vintage bikes are really fun to ride, you can make the Vespa 2t engine VERY fast. I've seen land speed videos of Lambtetta and they were going over 120mph. As a daily diver they work really well if your someone who maintains their own ride. If you have to pay to get it fixed it can be a headache to find a good vintage vespa mechanic. They have cable operated controls, clutch, TWO shifter cables, brake cables and they do break and you're stewed if you can't put them in on the side of the road. I'll +2 the smell, i love group rides with a bunch of premix bikes!

Thanks Bettin. I was thinking the same thing you were about the vintage bikes. My main concern is making sure I have a good mechanic who knows all about them. I love Chris from Vegas Motor Sports who takes care of my Kymco Agility 125 bike. One guy who who owns vintage was telling me his main issue has always been the carburetor. I guess he is always fixing them. I will admit I am not so mechanical. I think if money was no object I would consider owning the vintage and maxi scooters. Of course I would have to own a Vespa and Lambretta scooter.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()