Author Topic: no spark.  (Read 7753 times)

gremlim

• View Profile
no spark.
« on: January 10, 2015, 07:22:01 PM »
Hi all
I have been trying to find the cause of my 2t not starting. I have changed the cdibox and the plug and iignition coil but still no spark. Does anyone know what ac volts I should read on a multimeter when kicking the engine overIhaveacread lots of different things and the ffigures vary from .5ac to 80 ac

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: no spark.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
Is the "stop/run" switch in the "run" position?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

gremlim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
It doesnt have
 one

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
These might help... Also does your scoot have a kill switch on the side stand? Many do!

One other thing... You're bike fires DC input for the CDI, meaning the rectifier has to be working to supply DC voltage.
If you read ANY ac voltage by spinning the flywheel I would suspect the rectifier went bad or the connector to it failed.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

gremlim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »
The side stand has no switch. I have checked the  rec as per the manual but dont get the same readings. Also thebike got harder and harder to start and the low beam headlights stopped working as well. Would that be the reg/rec as well?
 I thought the cdi was ac as the service manual says that Its  a uk 50cc 2sttroke ifthat makes any difference.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:03:49 PM by gremlim »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 09:24:51 PM »
Ok, back to the drawing board. I assumed it was a 4t 50...

The head light is also AC fired so if it is not coming on when you kick the bike, your stator has failed. Since the rectifier is under 20 bucks I would also replace that if the readings are off.

Stators can spike voltage, when they fail, and take everything else out w/ them. Get OEM Kymco parts cause matching other China parts is a pain.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

gremlim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »
Thanksfor the help I will get one asap  :)

MrBoston

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 04:10:19 AM »
You might not be getting any spark due to a defective spark plug or ignition coil. The ignition coil is the part that sends the spark.

gremlim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
I have tried new ignition coils so I think zombie may be right. The lightss don't come on when I kick it over

gremlim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 08:05:31 PM »
An update on this problem. I have tried a new stator and still have no spark. Would the reg/rec have any influence on this?

gremlim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
Anyone have any ideas? :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 12:52:01 AM »
Try un-plugging the rectifier, and see if you get spark. It may be shorting the stator to ground.

Also try clipping the black, and yellow striped wire to the CDI. That is the kill wire.

gremlim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 09:00:25 PM »
I have checked all the wiring and cannot find any breaks. Does the reg/rec have any influence on the spark? As thats the only part I havent changed.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 11:47:43 PM »
Yes because it is a DC fired CDI. That means if the rectifier is shot... No spark

gremlim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »
I am now a bit confused when I got the bike the battery was flat but the bike still ran. I figured that means its ac fired am I wrong :-)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()