Author Topic: easy way to drain fuel tank?  (Read 3897 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
easy way to drain fuel tank?
« on: November 12, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »
I want to drain fuel tank, and add some new gas.  The vacuum petcock makes it difficult to drain tank.  Anyone know an easy way to drain the fuel tank?  Thanks
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: easy way to drain fuel tank?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »
Take a vodka bottle, drill a hole slightly smaller than some fuel line. Shove the fuel line in the cap. Then you can easily just squeeze the bottle and start a siphon. otherwise you should be able to pull the petcock off all the way and drain out the bottom, but this usually is messier than using a siphon.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-syphon-without-getting-anything-in-y/

This gives you an idea of how to make it, I really suggest using a larger bottle like a gallon vodka bottle or something, the bottles the use for alcohol can stand up to gasoline, milk jugs and the like will melt pretty fast if you use it for gas.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: easy way to drain fuel tank?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
OK, thanks for reply.  I was looking for a trick to drain the tank from bottom outlet.  Your link, a good way the make a siphon.  I usually just take a long hose and put it down the tank and fill it up with the liquid I want to siphon out.  Then I close off the other end to create a vacuum.  Then I take the hose out of the tank, being careful the keep the end that is inside the tank under the liquid.  Once the outside end of the hose is below the tank, you simply release the outside end and the liquid will flow out.  Try it sometimes, very simple, works great.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()