Author Topic: Trouble with my recovered scooter  (Read 6929 times)

arcus

• View Profile
Re: Trouble with my recovered scooter
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 08:33:18 PM »
I put a wire from the regulator mounting nut to the neg terminal of the battery.  I went with the battery since the neg wire from the battery goes to the chassis ground at the same point the ground strap to the engine ground connects.  I then started and checked the voltage and still running up to 16 volts when revved up.  So I connected another ground wire to the green wire from the regulator and ran it to the battery also.  Still running up to 16 volts when revved up.  What surprised me was that it did not blow the fuse.  I was expecting it to blow the fuse if I ran it without getting it fixed.  Not sure where to go from here, do you think that those wires have to go to chassis ground and not the battery?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »
As long as the chassis gnd is known to be good it is fine. Voltage won't blow the fuse. Amperage will. I think your bike takes a 15 amp fuse. Do NOT go bigger unless the bike states it is bigger.

Since you are still over volting there is still an issue. It COULD be the rectifier is mis wired. Did you buy the OEM Kymco or a parts for scooters type rectifier. It will take some looking for me to find the difference but there is a difference between them.

Google around for china bike rectifiers, and Kymco rectifiers. Also look at the schematic ConradF posted here.
I spent all day building a "boat shed" so I am too burnt out to get into it now.

Follow the paths from the stator, and the key switch. Make SURE you have the correct rectifier. If yours is a GY^ rectifier it won't be the correct one. KYMCO is the only one unless you find one that says Kymco works.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

arcus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »
I got it online and it did not say kymco, but the person I talked to said it would work.  I have some body panels to order so I will order a new reg. with them for the full price on Monday or Tuesday.  Will let you know what is up with it when I get a replacement.  I did not measure the voltage before I replaced it so I cant say that was a problem before the generic reg, only that it blew the fuse for some reason and kept blowing it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 10:47:40 PM »
Makes sense. I hope the Kymco part gets it done. You can compare the terminals once you get the new oneto verify they are different. Something about the Kymco being a DC stator, and the China one being ac. That alone changes the way the phases are wired/used.

Keep us posted!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

arcus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 12:53:18 AM »
     Finally go the parts in, I order body parts along with the regulator.  Put it in and started it up, 13 volts at idle and 14.5 volts when revved up.  So I guess there is a difference from the cheapo part to the Kymco one.

Got all the body parts on and took it for a test ride.  Of course it died and I had to push it all the way back home.  Checked the fuses and they were all good still.  Pulled the seat off again (I am getting good at that) and it looked like no fuel in the fuel filter.  Pulled the fuel filter and bypassed it with a hose and it started up again.  So replaced the lines and the fuel filter, which did have some junk in it but not much, and it started up.  Took it for about a 10 mile run and it seemed to run pretty good.  Will take it for a longer run tomorrow and see how it holds up.

arcus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
     Well I think I am pretty much done with this scooter.  I take one step forward and two steps back.  Was running pretty good yesterday and today wont run at all.  All I want really want to do at this point is burn it to the ground.

Went out this afternoon and it wont start.  Took everything apart again and fuse still good, fuel going thru the filter.  Took the plug wire off and grounded to the head with the old spark plug and no spark at all.  So I put the old cid back in, no spark.  Put the old coil back in, no spark.  Checked the old and new coil, both good.  Checked the pulser coil and it is within spec, but still no spark.  Checked the continuity from the black/yellow wire from the cid to the coil and it is good.  I put my volt meter on the black/yellow wire and cranked and didn't see anything but then I wasn't sure I would since only pulses it, still seems like I should see some kind of blip.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 05:40:22 AM »
Did you try cleaning your kill switch? They do go bad, you can just bypass it too. Look at the wiring diagram and you should be able to figure out how to bypass it on your particular bike. Don't give up man, when you do get it and you will it'll feel awesome.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

arcus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
I feel the need to apologize to you BettinANDlosing, when I saw your post this morning I thought "of course I checked that do you think I am stupid".  Well turns out I am stupid, went out and it was off.  I thought well I am sure I turned it on at sometime yesterday, clicked it to on and hit the starter and it started right up.  Guess I am not half the mechanic I like to think I am.  Anyway thanks for the reply BettinANDlosing and you were right it was the kill switch.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 04:41:02 PM »
Dude don't sweat it at all! I've had people that have been riding the same scoot for years come in the shop and have it only be the kill switch!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 09:12:40 PM »
STUUUUPID!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I'm not sure where I read/heard this story... It may have been here on the forum but it's worth repeating.

This fella had a run of real bad luck. He decided to jump off a bridge to end it. At the very moment he jumped he had an epiphany... He realized EVERYTHING that lead him to this moment could have been corrected. Everything except this.
He hit the water, and lived.

I bet your glad you didn't throw that match!  " All I want really want to do at this point is burn it to the ground. "  ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()