Author Topic: Just brought a zx50, need advice  (Read 4330 times)

Trent 250

• View Profile
Just brought a zx50, need advice
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »
Hi guys, I just brought my first zx50 scooter..
I have done the cdi thing and that's it so far
I have brought a 80cc big bore kit, new variator, new clutch, new exhaust
Should I be buying a new carb for this set up?
What have u guys done to yours?
Cheers dudes

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Just brought a zx50, need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Run for the hills brother.
What 80cc kit did you buy?
Yes you will need to upgrade the carb. anywhere from 19-28mm will work One thing here is you also need a new Intake Manifold, and Reed Cage. I suggest a C&N set. They are about 30.00 US.

Also read the zx section here. There is a TON of sh** that will help.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »
ps   What Variator did you buy? The ZX is different than all the others. It has a shorter drive boss, and none of the others will deliver top mph.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Trent 250

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:19:33 AM »
ok... Buy the intake I pictured, and an OKO 24mm carb. Youre gonna need a couple jet kits too. Start w/ 5 main jets ranging from 100-120, and pilot jets from 38 46.
 That Variator will work fine on your drive boss but I would also buy a NEW drive boss from a KYMCO dealer. Get the OEM boss only.
You never mentioned a pipe. You do need one to make the kit really work. Technigas makes a good pipe for the ZX, and the best I have tried is the Scorpion pipe made in the Philippines.  You can get these thru Scooter Alley in Hawaii.

There is really no point in installing the kit until you have all these bits together. You can do all the CVT parts, and get a better throttle response, and hill climbing but I would strongly suggest waiting till you have all the rest in hand.

rancer4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »
just get the length of drive boss the same. 

zx has a longer drive boss, i think.  the driven pulley is 117mm wide which is the longer kind.  i think.  if its not then its not.  measure your length if its the zx like, with 117mm wide driven pulleys, kymco makes a restricted stock one for the zx.  you have to buy a zx and usually their the same size as others wrote like that.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 11:50:29 PM »
just get the length of drive boss the same. 

zx has a longer drive boss, i think.  the driven pulley is 117mm wide which is the longer kind.  i think.  if its not then its not.  measure your length if its the zx like, with 117mm wide driven pulleys, kymco makes a restricted stock one for the zx.  you have to buy a zx and usually their the same size as others wrote like that.

It's actually shorter than the rest. I forget now but I think it is 28mm (boss only). A standard boss from any other bike (32mm I believe?) will reduce top speed by approx. 5 MPH.
The clutch/bell are 117mm just like all the other 50cc Kymcos

Trent 250

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:43:10 AM »
Thanks for your help so far..
I brought this exhaust
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371005361127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Should do the trick

Trent 250

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
Been looking on the internet and found this kit..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181205772174?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Will this work alright?
Sorry for all the replies..aha

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
I ran the same pipe for 2-3 years, and still have it. It's a good pipe for the Cyl. kit you have, and will last the life of the bike. (that's a long ass time for a pipe)

The carb kit, and price are perfect.
You're on the right track for sure.

When you get the carb yoou will see a flat spot on the top of the intake side of the throat of the body. You will also have a threaded nipple that comes with the intake manifold, and is supposed to screw into the side of the new intake.
You will have two choices here...
 You can screw that nipple into the intake, and use it for your vacuum line to the fuel petcock. Then you can drill a hole in the flat spot on the Carb throat to install the nipple from the original intake (you have to pull it out by heating around it). That will be where your oil injector line will go. 

Or... You can block off your oil injector, run pre-mix @ 32:1, and use the threaded nipple (in the new intake) as your vacuum source, and forget about drilling the flat on the carb.

I run pre mix, and bought a plug for where I removed the oil pump. If you do that you need to make a small bracket to hold it in the bike.

Here's most of the build I did on mine so you get some ideas...
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=6494.msg67418#msg67418

Here it is for sale, there are alot of details in these threads that might help...
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11422.0

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:00:32 PM by zombie »

Trent 250

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:42:48 AM »
Thanks for the info mate..
Yea I might just block it off..
Also what length boss drive should I get? As there are a few different lenghts..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »
I forgot exactly what it is. I think it is 28-30mm. I also think the standard GY6/Kymco 50cc bikes use a 34..

The standard length (longer ones) will slow you down.

Bottom line is I found the Jasil Top Racing Variator to be the best bet out of everything. I swapped my Malossi for one, and got 4-5MPH right out of the box. Just be SURE it is fir the ZX-50

Trent 250

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »
Alright, I'll see what's for sale on ebay..
Also why do u need to use that oil plug? Where does it go..
Sorry for all the dumb questions..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »
No apologies. That's why I post

The plug goes into the very front of the engine, Just follow the oil tank line.
The reason you need to block it off rather than simply disconnect the lines is that pump is gear driven off the crank. Once you remove the oil lines the pump is no longer being lubricated, and will fail resulting in a vacuum leak.
A second option is to remove the existing pump, grind off the teeth on the driven gear, and reinstall. That'll save you 20 bucks. If you DO get the plug you also have to make a small bracket to keep it installed. Just a metal bar across the face of it will do.

Also stay away from Ebay for two stroke parts. MOST of it is cheap China crap that will fail, and take your bike with it.For Jasil parts I always use Moped Hospital in Florida. The variator is 99.00 bucks but worth every penny.

With the combo of parts you have your bike will easily run 55MPH / 60 on a good day.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:51:32 AM by zombie »

Trent 250

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »
Thanks mate..
Yea that makes more sence..
I got my carb kit today and I noticed a nipple on the intake.. What is that there for? Oil or fuel..
I installed my new exhaust today and sounds hell of a lot better..aha
Thinking of installing the new variator and clutch next..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()