Author Topic: Hill Climber  (Read 1579 times)

herrspoot

• View Profile
Hill Climber
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
Just bought a 2012 Like 50 2t with 4 miles on it (dealer's get rid of it special). I live in hilly Duluth, MN and am trying to determine what kind of setup will be good for the terrain here. We've got about a 700 foot difference in elevation in our city and riding with just the factory derestriction I was only pulling 10mph up the hill at some places. Any suggestions for a good around town setup in these conditions? I'm not looking for top speed over 40ish, just need something I can ride up the hill as a daily driver. Thanks!
2012 Like 50 2t
  Derestricted bushing
  Derestricted stock exhaust
  Derestricted stock airbox
  100 MJ
  Biondi windshield (with custom mounts)

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and is considerably easier to write with." Marty Feldman

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Hill Climber
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »
A 70cc is a must for hill climb. How much do you weigh?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

herrspoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:42:34 AM »
I weigh about 200. I can get going about 35-38 indicated on the flats, but it loses all oomph when there's an incline. I've been reading about 70cc kits since getting my like and thinking that would work well. How does the 70 do for improving torque and acceleration? I suppose that relies heavily on what you do with carb, jetting and exhaust.
2012 Like 50 2t
  Derestricted bushing
  100 MJ

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and is considerably easier to write with." Marty Feldman

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 02:04:41 AM »
Yeah its all a matter of tuning. With stock carb and 70cc kit you will maybe gain 5mph top speed but torque with increase quite a lot tuned well. Your other route if you want to stay 50cc is to get an expansion exhaust, this will require knowledge about cvt tuning to make work well. The thing about a pipe is the only way it makes power is to rev higher, reducing your mpg. Depends how far you want to take it, a kit with an exhaust matched for the power band of the cylinder will do 60mph on stock gears. But then again do you live somewhere people will get mad at a loud two stroke? It all plays into how you build it.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

herrspoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
That was going to be my next question. How loud are some of the aftermarket pipes, like the technigas next r? I ride a lot through residential and don't want to be obnoxious. I see there are some pipes out there that look like they're more of a moderate step between the expansion chamber pipes and the stock pipes, like the Naraku traffic; are those even worth looking at? Sorry, lots of questions, I'm used to the 2 wheel world, but scooters are brand new to me!
2012 Like 50 2t
  Derestricted bushing
  100 MJ

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
Most expansion pipes are gonna be pretty loud by most peoples standards. The free flow pipes will be closer to stock sound, less overall power but a wider power band.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()