Author Topic: Is there an easy way to add a engine temp gauge for an amateur?  (Read 5394 times)

bluescoot125

• View Profile
Is there an easy way to add a engine temp gauge for an amateur?
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »
Is there an easy way to add a engine temp gauge for an amateur? On 2013 agility 125

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Odg: Re: Is there an easy way to add a engine temp gauge for an amateur?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:48:24 PM »
Is there an easy way to add a engine temp gauge for an amateur? On 2013 agility 125
Why would you need that on an air cooled engine?
Agility City 125

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Is there an easy way to add a engine temp gauge for an amateur?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:30:57 PM »
Why? For fun of course! The best /cheapest way I've found: Go to Fred Meyers or wherever and get a poultry thermometer long skinny style. Get the highest temp you can find, avoid digital. Order a spare dipstick, cut the dipstick part off and drill a hole the same size as the thermometer shank. Sick it through and use high heat rtv or glue to seal it in. Booom instant oil temp gauge! For like $20! You can pull over after speed runs and get your oil temp reading.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

bluescoot125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »
Why? For fun of course! The best /cheapest way I've found: Go to Fred Meyers or wherever and get a poultry thermometer long skinny style. Get the highest temp you can find, avoid digital. Order a spare dipstick, cut the dipstick part off and drill a hole the same size as the thermometer shank. Sick it through and use high heat rtv or glue to seal it in. Booom instant oil temp gauge! For like $20! You can pull over after speed runs and get your oil temp reading.
Love this idea, going to try it. I'm not much of a mechanic but I know basic things and learn a lot from the internet. I enjoy tinkering and keeping my scoot running at top performance

nightriderrv

• Ride all the time !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:17:49 AM »
I seen a couple of times where the CHT gauge saved a engine  :)
2007 Agility 50 4T KG10SA
52MM Hoca BBK
Big valve head
24mm Keihin
102.5 jet
UNI filter
Aftermarket exhaust
Malossi Multivar
6g Malossi rollers
Stock clutch & white Malossi contra spring
Primary transmission gear up 18/50

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 03:42:06 PM »
It is often helpful to know the temp your engine is running at even for air cooled engines.

Cylinder head temp is most often the easiest to install, if it is easy to get at your spark plug.  Most often the probe/sending unit looks like a gasket with a wire attached.  Like a gasket your spark plug is slipped through it an then reinstalled into the engine.

It is a little more work to install, but an exhaust gas temp is (in my opinion) better. You have to drill a small hole into the exhaust pipe and thread the probe into the exhaust pipe. running the wire through your bike to the dash and then mount the display unit.

Doc
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:49:04 PM by Doc Wheezer »

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »
I installed a crankshaft temp sensor on my 250, it's the bees knees.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »
The EGT sets you can get for 20 bucks on Ebay.
 I have two rectangular digital gauges (brand new) that need the thermo-couples (10 bucks) if anyone is interested. I gought one, and a second for a back up. Then decided to build the naked bar set, and analog gauges instead.
They're just sitting here.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »
Got any spare fork oil level gauges? I think that's my next mod. Pesky fork oil!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 07:34:52 PM »
I have an exhaust bearing calibrator for sale. It's pricey tho... I had it built in Bangcock.
I might trade it for an imaginary girl friend tho (depending on what she looks like). I had to throw mine out. She asked me to go buy Tampons.
Damn invisible bitches... Always wanting something. There worse that the real ones actually.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 07:40:53 PM »
I got one of those rubber doll girlfriends you can borrow, gotta clean if after you send it back tho.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »
Reminds me of my high school girl friend.
I'll think about it! ;D

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
I installed a CHT sensor from here:
http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto

May want to think about the backlit ones as I see nothing driving at night.
Wayne

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()