Author Topic: Need to replace a dead electric starter...help?  (Read 1398 times)

cwdavis

• View Profile
Need to replace a dead electric starter...help?
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
Hey,

New to the forum and scooters in general (just hit 600 miles on my first one!)

I have a 2012 Kymco Super 8 50 2t and recently the electric starter has ceased to be. It doesn't make any noise when the button is depressed, leading me to believe that it is burnt out (it was perhaps used overzealously during a period of carb tuning a few weeks ago). I want to find a replacement online ( to save some $$$$) as its an easy job to replace the electric starter as its right on the bottom of the bike and only held on by 2 bolts and a plug.

The problem is I can't figure out from any of the documentation or just online in general how many splines (9,10, or 11) the starter has and if there is a difference between the ones for different years (e.g. 2010-present).

Does anyone know which one I need and if so where is the best place to get it online?

Thanks!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Need to replace a dead electric starter...help?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »
I wouldn't jump to conclusion on the starter. Have the battery checked, you have to crank the starter for like 20 minutes straight to burn it up.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

cwdavis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
I'll double check the battery, thats a good point. My commute to/from work is not very long (~3.5 miles , 12-15 minutes roughly) so its very possible that with an older battery thats been discharged and recharged a few times that it could be that.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
Also, make sure it's not as simple as a blown fuse. I know from experience, that it's an easy thing to just overlook. I had an issue with my Super 8 150 earlier this summer with it not starting. After repeatedly cranking the starter over and over, I had a small 7 amp fuse pop.

And before changing the starter, check and make sure the actual starter switch isn't bad. As I've discovered with a recent headlight issue, the electrical on these scoots isn't protected from dirt and moisture as well as they could be.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
DON'T FORGET THE KILL SWITCH!!!!!! Check that it is in the RUN position and actually works. We ALL have had this experience; got the red face and the t-shirt to prove it!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
As last resort can he turn over the starter motor via car battery ?
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()