Author Topic: Carburetor to fuel injection  (Read 1400 times)

arcanum70

• View Profile
Carburetor to fuel injection
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:01:11 PM »
Has anyone on here done a carburetor to fuel injection conversion? 

I purchased an '07 xciting 250 and it's my first carbureted bike, but was thinking of getting a kit and converting to fuel injection.  While I know the specifics are going to be different, I watched a vid where a guy did this with a Ninja.  The problem is that he promised follow up videos (mileage, problems...etc) and never posted any...lol.

So, have you done it yourself? Do you know anyone that has?  Experiences?

Thanks.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Carburetor to fuel injection
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:43:04 AM »
Oh man DON'T DO IT!!!!!! i got the Ecotrons kit for roughly $500 and it was a total pos setup cheap China crap. Not to mention the fuel pump setup it came with was only designed to work with a gravity feed system and our 250 bikes have a tank lower than the carb. All in all i gave up with it and sold it on eBay. Just went back to carb tuning and I'm really glad I did. Even when the fuel injection was "working" i got the feeling i would never trust it long distance like i can with the carb. I'm sure if you had unlimited money and someone that was really crafty with EFI you could make a good setup but the kits suck donkey balls.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 04:45:53 AM »
For what it's worth, the Kymco 250 has a fairly advanced, computerized and well-tuned carburetor. I didn't feel like I was missing out on fuel injection. I suggest getting a Xciting 500Ri instead if EFI is must have.

If you decide to do it, let us know how it turns out.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:47:41 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:13:02 PM »
Has anyone on here done a carburetor to fuel injection conversion? 
Thanks.

As everyone else stated - no way.  Stock carb when clean and set right - runs just as good as EFI.  Yes EFI is better but only when it comes on the vehicle.  Also, in the case of my GV250 I had an off idle hesitation due to clogging from sitting (not the carbs fault)  Once, I clean it right it worked great then I upped the pilot jet a little to get it exactly how I wanted it - much more difficult and expensive to do this with EFI (although, hopefully EFI wouldn't need it).

There shame in running a legacy carb setup.  Keep it clean and stablize or drain the float bowl when not in use and you will never need to touch it.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()