Author Topic: mirror replacement for lane splitting  (Read 3755 times)

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
mirror replacement for lane splitting
« on: August 20, 2014, 04:54:43 PM »
the factory mirrors on the s8 150 drive me nuts while lane splitting L.A. traffic. Considering taking them off
anybody got a working alternative? and don't come me with this don't lane split crap unless you live here and sit in traffic all day

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
Re: mirror replacement for lane splitting
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
What if you got the risers and turned them ineards so that your mirror post screws would be closer to the middle of the bike.  I have them but they are turned outwards to get more of a view behind me.
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
What if you got the risers and turned them ineards so that your mirror post screws would be closer to the middle of the bike.  I have them but they are turned outwards to get more of a view behind me.

interesting, where did you buy the risers

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:27:32 PM »
On amazon, I had eritten a post about them awhile ago which I'll try to find for you
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 03:08:08 AM »
Small round mirrors work well
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 02:41:21 PM »
Your other option are bar end mirrors. Just a quick browse over the net, I found CRG has a couple of styles; round, and arrow. I may look into these, if need be.

I'm in Cali too (Nor*Cal) and had recently acquired an S8 to commute with. Having a Corolla and a full size pick-up, I found the S8 mirrors don't clear neither vehicles, in a tight spot. If vehicles offer enough distance / space for a safe passing (splitting / filtering), there should be no issue.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »
On amazon, I had eritten a post about them awhile ago which I'll try to find for you

I have mirror extenders from Amazon too. Like blackhawk, I use them to move the mirrors out for better rear view. Lane splitting is illegal here in Illinois anyway. But they could possibly work to move them in.

Here's a pic of what they look like.

Duke- 8)

Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
ordered the same, thanks for the tips, will post some pics once done and tell how it works

I have mirror extenders from Amazon too. Like blackhawk, I use them to move the mirrors out for better rear view. Lane splitting is illegal here in Illinois anyway. But they could possibly work to move them in.

Here's a pic of what they look like.

Duke- 8)

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
Your other option are bar end mirrors. Just a quick browse over the net, I found CRG has a couple of styles; round, and arrow. I may look into these, if need be.

I'm in Cali too (Nor*Cal) and had recently acquired an S8 to commute with. Having a Corolla and a full size pick-up, I found the S8 mirrors don't clear neither vehicles, in a tight spot. If vehicles offer enough distance / space for a safe passing (splitting / filtering), there should be no issue.

I noticed the height of the S8 mirrors is on the same level as most cars have theirs. I feel more confident lane splitting with my yamaha r6 then S8 in city traffic. will try the cheaper option of extenders and move them inwars, not sure what view I will get, but I comfortable lane splitting seems more important then nice mirror view

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 01:52:28 AM »
Just rock no mirrors
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 02:02:47 AM »
Apparently, not only do you need to be mindful of your mirrors, but your hands too!

My left hand / pinky made contact with a car mirror today during my commute home. Apparently, I miss judged my clearance. I feel / felt terrible :( I stopped as soon as I made contact and inspected the mirror. It was fine. I gave the guy an apologetic hand gesture. My hand / finger is fine. Fortunately, knowing that the scooter bars / mirrors are broad, I was going slow while filtering through. Going forward, I will have to be more mindful that I do have not have as much clearance as I perceive to think I do.

FWIW, I have a sport bike too (for weekend fun), and have split with it, and never had an issue.

<edit> Now that I had some time to calm my nerves, and slept on it. Reflecting back, and playing it over and over in my head, I may be speculating here, but it's quite possible the driver to my left narrowed the gap (moved in on me) just as I was passing his passenger door and or mirror.
I feel I have a good sense of seeing / knowing whether or not there is a decent distance / gap between cars as I approach. Typically, if I feel the gap is too narrow (or not enough room), I fall behind a car (left or right), stop as I reach the mirrors, or switch lanes to filter through and continue my way.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:35:01 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:47:16 AM »
I rode my sport bike in to work today. I can absolutely say that I feel much safer splitting on my sport bike, than the scooter. I just feel like I have way more room, as weird as it sounds. Sorry, I just had to share.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 03:36:06 PM »
The super 8 has really wide handlebars compared to street bikes

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()