Author Topic: blown egine on newly purchased super 9  (Read 4431 times)

reallypfc

• View Profile
blown egine on newly purchased super 9
« on: October 04, 2009, 02:58:05 PM »
honestly ...i want to punch a nun....but here is the deal
i bought this 2007 super 9 from some guy ...took it for a test ride ...sputtered but he told me it was carb problems...no big deal ...it died 5 miles into my first ride and would not start back up
i hauled to wilmington honda who is an authorized kymco dealer
tech told me the oil injector went south and it needs a new crank and top end...$1000
eek
i really do not want to put that kind of money into it ...with the 500 i paid
anyway i am trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh** and would like all the feedback
etc you all can give me on my dilema... can i do this myselfe ? parts ...i am very mechanically inclined but work 50-60 hours a week

let me know with links to parts...whole engines etc...  my email addy is lnp63@ymail.com
if you want to contact me direct

thanks
len

OldGuy

• View Profile
Re: blown egine on newly purchased super 9
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
The first thing I'd do is get a second opinion. Unfortunately, all dealers aren't trustworthy. The oil injector rarely fails.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »
KBB retail value for a 2007 super 9 is $1,625.00 , so even if it needs work you may not be hurt that badly . Like Old Guy said I would get a second opinion . Also you may find an independant mechanic to take it on as a winter project for less expense . Good luck .

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »
www.kymcopartsonline.com/  They have the exploded parts diagram for your scoot. I would suggest cross checking w/ Stadium yamaha for prices. All the work can be done w/ out special tools, and If you are inclined I would guess 6-8 hours to figure it out. If it's just the top end 1-3 hrs. Iwould at least pull the cylinder off to get a better idea of what has gone south
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Dawsman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 06:14:57 PM »
or... you could just buy mine and keep yours for a parts bike. j/k.  ;D

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:15 AM »
Definitely get a second opinion!  Honda of Wilmington really sucks, IMO!  I just use them for parts!  You could probably just get away with doing the top end.  You won't know for sure till you get the cylinder off though.  If you are here in Wilmington, I know a local guy who is a real good scooter mechanic as well.  Good luck to you!

reallypfc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »
appreciate all the advice
my phone number is 910-471-8206 ...call anytime

reallypfc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:56:29 PM »
i live in wilmington right next to uncw...thanks

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 01:16:18 PM »
Buy your parts from www.stadiumyamaha.com, do it yourself.  Ask your dealer if they do a pressure test when rebuilding an engine.  9 times of 10 they say "Yeah we do compression tests" but there's a difference... heh.  Here's a video example: Pressure Testing a Minarelli Horizontal 2-Stroke Scooter Engine

If you're mechanically inclined, there's no reason not to do it yourself unless you don't have the time or tools.  The only special tool you really need is a crankcase puller.  I got mine from rockymountain ATV for around $45:

I'm in the process of making a video showing crankshaft removal and installation, but I haven't gotten around to editing the thing yet.  I am happy to help however I can.  If you're ever further West, stop on by! :D  I'm in Mebane NC, about 4 hours from Wilmington.  My wife went to college in Wilmington.

Cheers!

~Josh

336 506 7333

www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

reallypfc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 01:28:09 PM »
well i picked it up yesterday ...was partially unassembled ...guy showed me the oil pump drive gear asssembly and it was had definite tooth damage
he actually did some carb work to it and it starts ...told me to premix...but
it really only stays running for about 5 minutes then dies....might pull the top end off today to check out

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »
When you pull the jug, the con. rod should have almost ZERO side 2 side play. If that's the case you may get away w/ a simple top end kit. GOOD luck! Keep posting so we can all see. Most likely you will help someone else w/ your experience.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 04:18:42 PM »
Also, if you do need a crank, call Moped Hospital.  They sell the Jasil crankshafts, and it may be cheaper than the OEM Kymco.

The Kymco crank is one of the strongest OEM crankshafts that I have ever seen on a scooter.  They're very good.

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()