Author Topic: super 8 discontinued  (Read 4314 times)

jmwood1968

• View Profile
super 8 discontinued
« on: July 30, 2014, 05:15:55 AM »
I just checked kymco USA website has the super 8 150 been discontinued? It wasn't shown on there website. Didnt see any 150s listed.
Kymco S8 150
Kymco Like 200i
Vespa PX150
Honda Fury
Honda Sabre

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
Re: super 8 discontinued
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
Sad but true.  I got it straight from a kymcousa rep with whom I have been dealing on other issues.  Don't understand why because it's easily their best looking scoot.   :'(
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:16:06 PM »
They are moving forward like all manufacturers do. My guess is the Movie is the KYMCO 150 of the future.

Wonder if at some point the older models still in the showroom will go on super sale.
Wayne

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »
Moving forward with the wrong scooter, IMO.  If they looked at the number of posts on this site for the S8 compared to the Movie, it is clear which is the more popular.
Scooter is stock

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »
KYMCO may be testing the market. If I could have gotten a Movie for the price of the Super8 I would have done it in a heartbeat. In the auto market, KIA started out as a bargin brand. Over the years they have stepped up reliability along with the price. Now there is not really a price difference between a Kia, Dodge, Chevy or Ford. KYMCO may be experimenting with the 150cc line in the same way. Dropping the cheaper of the two 150's and seeing how sales hold on.
Wayne

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 02:42:47 PM »
Actually, looking at the website, there is nothing left in the 150cc class.  The closest is the Like at 200cc and the Agility at 125cc.
Scooter is stock

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
Yeah, even the Movie is listed in the non-current models on the Kymco-usa site.
No more Super 8 kinda makes me sad!  :'(
Personally, I thought it would have been a cool idea to upgrade the Super 8 with the FI 163cc engine from the Like, re-geared for the 14 inch wheels. THAT would be a nice setup!! And a great way to keep the Supe alive and fresh.
Just my opinion!  :)

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »
No more Super 8 kinda makes me sad!  :'(
Don't be sad. Far far down the road in years to come you'll be cruising around and someone will point to you on your S8 and say, "Now that's a classic scoot. They don't makem' like they used to." You'll straighten up in your seat and that wonderful S8 glow will start to shine.

BTW, No official announcement has came yet. Feel free to stop by your local dealer and grill them for the details (if they have any).
Wayne

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »
The super 8 is not discontinued, I don't know why they have it off their website right now. They just changed the bodywork on it, not a chance they will do importing.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »
Maybe they had some kind of issue with the new model, and they're working out a bug to avoid a full recall?
Just grabbin' at straws.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
My most recent e-mail to kymcousa and the response from their customer rep., Steven, with the parts pertinent to this thread in bold.  I include the entire e-mail because it has some information I think may be of interest to others on this forum:

Hi Steven, I do know where these dealers are, but to get there requires traveling on roadways that are over my scooter comfort level.  It's why I bought a scooter from a dealership close to me, and now that they are no longer handling Kymcos, I recommended to KymcoUSA that they find a replacement dealer within this same county, which would be good for your business since Nassau County is one of the wealthiest in the state.

Regarding your e-mail of yesterday in which you brought up about the service manual, I know I can purchase one--my point to the dealership was that they should provide one to me for no cost since they have purposely discontinued servicing Kymcos; a decision that had to have been made by the dealership before I purchased my Super 8.  Having that manual will enable me to do at least some of the work for which I would ordinarily have gone to the dealership, and very well mean the difference between being able to ride my scooter to get it serviced as opposed to having to pay for a costly tow.  Again I use the example of the brake fluid--though the owners manual shows how to accomplish this probably very simple task, the instructions are rendered useless by the fact that the owners manual does not show how to remove the plastic handlebar cowl that covers the master cylinder and renders it inaccessible.  In future owners manuals, they should include all steps required to access the required area and handle the work.

BTW, on your company's website, I see the Super 8 is listed as a non-current model; are you going to discontinue making it? 

I do appreciate your continued efforts on my behalf.

Denise

Our district manager for that are will indeed investigate setting up another dealer in that area when the situation/s allow him to do so. Until then the other dealer will be the only other option I can offer you.

I understand your example concerning the service manual. Unfortunately that is not something I or control in any way with a dealer who no longer wishes to be a servicing dealer for our company. I can only leave that discussion between you and the dealer.

That model is slated to be discontinued.

Steven

It could be the S8 will be manufactured for other countries, but apparently it won't be for the US.  It looks like only half of their scooter selection will be available in the US. I suspect it is because of the lack of popularity of the humble scooter in America; I know they are very big in other countries.  I hope this is not going to present a problem for those of us who own scooters on the discontinued list to get needed parts.

Scooter is stock

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »
My local Kymco dealer has pretty much given up on selling scooters.  He still has 2 DT300s in stock and a few used scooters but he is not ordering any new ones.  He has also given up on Vespa/Piaggio.  Scooters just don't sell well around here.  Part of the problem is a lack of scooter activity around here.  There is a scooter club on facebook with around 60 members but few of them seem interested in doing anything.  Most of the time when I ride one of my scooters with a group, it's motorcycle riders not scooter riders.  When the time comes to buy another scooter it probably won't be a Kymco if there is no local dealer.  That's too bad because IMO they make some of the best scooters out there.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »
2015 WILL HAVE SUPER 8!!!!!! Our rep advised us that there will be two different versions, a funky off-road version like the ZUMA with knobly tires etc and the street version.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »
That's good news, can't wait to see pictures and specs
Scooter is stock

merchjo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 01:24:02 AM »
Super 8 150X and 150R are on Kymco website.

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/index_onroad.html

Wish I waited I like the I like the 150X

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()