Author Topic: service manual  (Read 7182 times)

thoppa

• View Profile
Re: service manual
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 01:50:26 AM »
Hi,

The service manual would be great - thank you very much for doing this ! :)

coughink @ outlook.com

I've added spaces as Mr Zombie suggests - thanks for the tip !

Tom

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 04:14:57 AM »
 ;)

Welcome to the forum.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
thanks for pointing this out. i sometimes replace @ with at or [at] and . with DOT  or similar. so a person can easily decipher it but not all bots would digest them. those looking for the @ will certainly skip it.
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
nice of you
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »
I'm sure owners will appreciate this.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Ahmad Mustafa

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »
I want a copy please :)
dr_ahmadmustafa@yahoo.com

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 06:13:55 AM »
I shake my head, and look @ the floor.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
don't know what to say....  :o  :-X
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 11:14:27 AM »
I'd like a manual too... bobama@hotmail.com
Thx!

thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »
Padmovie - lots of people asking - that can be a pain.... if you prefer, email it to me and I'll put it on my blog and post a download link here.

coughink @ outlook.com (remove the spaces)

Zombie - thanks. I've been a biker all my life but as age gets me, I want more comfort, so I'm looking at buying my first scoot - either the People 300, DT300, or Sym CityCom 300. I'd love to read the service manual - you can tell so much about the quality of machine by looking at the nitty gritty of the design, and answer the big question, will it be good to work on after the warranty expires ? 

cheers

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
If you are any good at working on real bikes these scooters are a breeze.

The biggest hurdles to overcome are the plastics, cheap wiring harnesses, and rather thin walled aluminum'

The plastics are such a pain to deal with every time you have to fix something that I wind up leaving 1/2 the mounting hardware out of the re-assembly. It will only matter if you hit a wall or something but they are done anyway at that point.

The wiring harnesses use simple open ended molex casings, and cheap tin plated blade connectors. Some of the critical connections are done with bullet connectors, and vinyl sleeves.
You will constantly be chasing gremlins if the bike lives outside or if you (like me) ride rain or shine.

Lastly are the engine components... re-cycled aluminum, and thin castings. If you are not careful you will strip every thread on the bike. I left a case 1/2 on my bench, and knocked it off onto a gravel floor. The whole corner of the case broke off.

Understand I am NOT slamming these scoots but I am saying they are NOT quality items like a real motorcycle is. They are built cheaply, and that is reflected in the top issues I mentioned.
In my minds eye the only difference between Kymco, and all the generic crap bikes is Kymco's lack of chrome parts. The cheapo bikes have a lot of chrome bling-y stuff that rusts out in a few months making them look like sh** in short order. Kymco doesn't use as much chrome so their bikes look a bit better a bit longer.

The one Kymco I do own is fine for what it is but it's no Honda or Piagio by any means.
I have a Honda NC 50 for the early 70's with a gagillion miles on it, and it doesn't have one missing or broken part. I bought my 2005 Kymco w/ a gagillion broken parts, and it was not running.

Ps. the fella that delivered the NC50 opened the tailgate, pulled it out by the rear wheel, and just let it fall.
He stood it up, and it started on the second try.

Not trying to tell you they suck but they are not well built machines. Just scooters meant to be cheap.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:23:57 PM by zombie »

thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 12:46:32 AM »
Thanks for the heads up - good to know. Stripping threads is a nightmare - I have a torque wrench so I guess I'll be needing to use it a lot more ! Dodgy electrics are fine - annoying yes but I'm good at fault finding and handy with a soldering iron.

I was riding a made-in Japan XLR250R for 6 years as a commuter bike and after that time, I really appreciated how well made it was. It was 21 years old and I reckon it would go another 21 with decent maintenance. It's quite a different level to the made-in-Thailand ER6 I use at weekends. Where rust appeared on the Honda, it stayed smooth and dark brown and never got worse. The Kwak has light brown rust and it's going bubbly so I know it's eating into the metal. It's clearly a lower grade steel. You get what you pay for eh ?

One thing that matters to me is turning radius. The Honda XLR could do 2.1m turns, which in real life means it could turn rings around cars in traffic. The ER6 is 2.7m and that can't do rings. Both have a wheelbase around 1.42m so the difference is mostly in the available steering angle. The DT300 has a long wheelbase (1.55m right ?) so I guess it's turning radius isn't that impressive. Has anyone tried to measure it ?

cheers

EDIT - found a manual online and it says turning radius is 2.6m so I'm afraid that scratches this scoot off my list. The People 300 is better at 2.2m - actually it is tighter turning left than right !

Very brief DT300 repair manual :

http://www.enmoto.com/enmotoonline/downloads/Specifications/Kymco/Reparaturanleitung%20Kymco/Downtown_300_i/01.pdf

People 250 "full" manual

http://www.scootermasters.com/manuals/People-250-Full-Manual.pdf

People 300 service manual

http://www.kymcousa.com/owners/onroad/People-GT-300i-Service-Manual.pdf

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:13:53 AM by thoppa »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 02:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, and the manuals.
I'm copying your links into a thread here called "Links to manuals" Catchy name eh!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()