Author Topic: Anti theft GPS tracker for my Kymco  (Read 1873 times)

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
Anti theft GPS tracker for my Kymco
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
Hi

I had an idea, and made some search on the web.

So I want to "build" a system into my bike.

My conditions are:
- No monthly fees, and activation fee.
- Motion/shocking alarm. If somebody move my bike, trigger the GPS, and start to send the coordinates, so I can find the bike.
- remote control. Smartphone control would be the best
- Follow the bike on the net (GoogleMaps)
- don't suck down the battery (good standby time)
- I am not a millionaire (yet).

In my previous stage I considered a simple, cheap android phone for this purpose. It has gps, motion sensors, etc. Just need to fine the proper apps (Tasker, any antitheft apps).

Now it seems, this is my best solution so far:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-GPS-Tracker-Magnetic-Car-Vehicle-Spy-Mini-Personal-Tracking-Device-TK102-/111201679112?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item19e422f708

And more:
http://www.fastbikesmag.com/fastbikes-forum/showthread.php?t=441

Please be brave, any advice, experience, idea, question, criticism here...

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Anti theft GPS tracker for my Kymco
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:04:42 PM »
I guess its a matter of where you leave it but after almost 45 years of parking bikes I just park them and leave. So far so good and I've left them in some nasty places. My method has always been to insure them.

Years ago I had a Shelby and after a couple of years I sold it mainly because I could never park it anywhere without drawing a crowd. That got old fast.

Not a problem with my scoots, lol!

Good luck and keep us all up to date with your project !

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
I will...

Unfortunately here in Hungary the insurance co-s don't like to contract for bikes. And they don't like to pay if sh** happened... We are 40years in the past from you...

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:38:41 PM »
I like the idea but there is one issue that is nagging me.

Who exactly is going to go after the missing bike? Will the local police listen, and go track it? Will you have to do this?

Someone may get killed over a scooter. I say let them have the scooter, and shoot drug dealers instead. Get enough of them of your streets, and there will be no more scooter thefts.

Thinking about your safety here...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
If I got coordinates, the police will go after the bike.

I must say again, here in Hungary we have a totally different world, than yours... We have no gunfires, no drugdealers, but more thiefs compared to US. I know very hard to understand each other's society...

" I say let them have the scooter"
I worked for my scooter for almost two years. We have  totally different wages here. I don't want to let them steel my stuff (my time, my efforts, my knowledge, all my early-wakeup mornings and late nights at my work.)

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »

I must say again, here in Hungary we have a totally different world, than yours... We have no gunfires, no drugdealers, but more thiefs compared to US. I know very hard to understand each other's society...

I worked for my scooter for almost two years. We have  totally different wages here. I don't want to let them steel my stuff (my time, my efforts, my knowledge, all my early-wakeup mornings and late nights at my work.)

Good for you and hope it works out.
I wish you nothing but the best success with this project.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »

Maybe it's just me. I don't even have keys to my house but I do have dogs, and guns. Problem is everyone else has guns too so I've adopted a "let them have it" attitude.

Cops in the US generally will not find the time to go track down a scooter even i you show them a picture of it in someones possession.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:27:04 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()