Author Topic: Electric start NO GO  (Read 2904 times)

bwt7124

• View Profile
Electric start NO GO
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:03:18 AM »
Hi All,

I posted a thread some time ago about my ZX 50 super fever not starting with the electric start.

I bought a new battery, spark plug, cleaned air filter etc and............................... it still wont start with electric start.

It turns over perfectly well, has heaps of spark, but just won't start.

I have checked the operation of the auto bystarter, works perfectly

I can give it the smallest kick with the kick starter and fires straight away !!!

Very frustrating  >:( >:(

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
Re: Electric start NO GO
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
Try not using the throttle with the starter button

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:26:09 AM »
There is NOTHING electrically connected between the electric start, and the cdi or coil. Is it turning over faster than hell or is it just sort of limping thru the compression stroke?

The only other thing I can figure is some defect that erupted that is linking the kill switch when you depress the starter button. They are separate switches but they are also close enough to each other that something may be happening there.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bwt7124

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Hi guys thanx for the feedback

I have tried no throttle, a little throttle, etc etc, makes no diference, still it starts very easily with the kick starter, throttle any position.

I may look into the kill switch theory allthough when i remove the spark plug theres heaps of spark when i use electric start ?????

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »
You still didn't say if it spins over fast with the plug in or if it slows down to barley turning. If the starter or the wiring to it is marginal it will not start. It will simply turn over slowly.

Starter motors are around 50 bucks, and a new relay is under 10.
If 60 bucks is worth not worrying why I would go ahead, and replace both.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:43:43 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bwt7124

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »
Hey Zombie,

It turns over perfectly well with the plug in, nice and fast.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »
Yeah my bad... I re read.
Maybe try leaving the spark plug installed, and use a second plug to test for spark while cranking. It makes no sense that it wont start on electric, and will start on the Kick.

The cdi is AC fired so the circuits are independent. I can't figure it.

bwt7124

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »
Yeah me either, even this am it hasn't ran for a week, give it the smallest kick an off she goes ! >:(

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 03:44:36 AM »
Try waht I sugested above... It may be the stator or Rectifier is weak or on its way out. I can see that pulling excess current but still can't figure how or why it may effect the CDI AC side.

Replicating a compression stroke while verifying spark may tell something.

bwt7124

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 06:44:08 AM »
Yep worth a try, will give it a whirl  :)

JADE56

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:03:43 PM »
 I bought a second hand ZX50 Moped. At first the Starter button would not work. Eventually I put in a new Battery and that solved the problem.
               After several months I again had the Problem of Starter button not working. It worked fine from the kick start.
 A mechanic who services the bike at a place I take it too said they could look at it. He said it would cost me about $80 but was not sure at that stage what the problem was.
                     I advertised in  a magazine for a mechanic to do occasional work (advert was free in this magazine ).
           As a result a mechanic (or just someone more mechanical than me ) came around and fixed it in 5 minutes . He charged me $40.
                 He wouldn't tell me how he did it. But he took off two black plastic tabs near the breaks. That gave him access to something on the handles.
He did say it was something to do with the Kill switch.
                 Now instead of usually squeezing the break near the starter button (on my bike that's on the right hand side ) I now squeeze the break on the Left hand side while depressing the starter BUTTON.
                    whatever HE DID IT NOW WORKS.iT APPEARS TO BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE kILL SWITCH

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 11:50:25 PM »
It is always the left break lever that supplies ground to the starter relay. He fixed the brake lever switch.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()