Author Topic: wiring schematic for 05 mxu 150  (Read 1666 times)

Shooting Jack

• View Profile
wiring schematic for 05 mxu 150
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:03:46 PM »
I recently purchased this unit and had replaced battery and fuse and was cranking as it should. Today I went outside to ride it and it would not crank. Panel lights up but no response from starter button. One wire at solenoid is ground but when starter button is depressed it appears that the other wire is grounded also but only when button is depressed. It does not appear to have any voltage at the starter switch. It was in a small shower last night but all appears to be dry.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: wiring schematic for 05 mxu 150
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »
Look 1/2 way down this page. I think the manual is in there...
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=495.15

Kymco works weird on the wiring... I THINK it is the rear brake switch activates the power to the rear light. That power is the one that is reading ground because it is reading thru the filament to ground. When you pull the brake lever that will/should light up hot.
The start button is the ground. You have to pull the brake, and have the tail light lit before the starter button can ground the relay.

If the relay is bad just get a Bosch or Cole Hersey 30 amp relay, and make new connectors for it. That will save you about 40 bucks over the Kymco relay that fails in a few years.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shooting Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
You da Man. The spring in the brake light switch is weak and will not go out all the way to allow the 150 to start. Not sure if you were talking about replacing the switch with a relay. After rereading your post I got it. I will check on a brake light switch. Hope it's not that expensive. LOL Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:31:16 PM by Shooting Jack »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »
No problem. In re-reading my post I see I am never too clear.

The brake light switch is cheap as dirt. (almost) The relay I mentioned is also cheap if you go to an after market.

Ace Hardware usually has them or you could even swap for a solenoid type for a lawn tractor. Those are around 10 bucks.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()